“Enjoy the experience”

Pierre's On George
Ranked #43 of 315 Restaurants in Launceston
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Pierre's has been operating for more than 60 Years and is a true Launceston Icon. With many Awards and recognitions to its name, it is the perfect place for Breakfast lunch or Dinner. Bookings Highly Recommended !
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Pierre's opened in 1956 and is the second oldest brasserie cafe in Australia. They installed the second only Italian expresso machine in Australia only hours after Pellegrinis in Melbourne had put theirs in. As a child in the early 70s my mother would take me there and I still enjoy going there to this day. In Launceston we have an abundance of good restaurants to choose from and Pierre's is near the top of the pack. The way they prepare their battered fish is second to none and it is always a beautiful meal. My wife and myself have never been disappointed with any visit we've had over the years. The place is simply delightful for lunch or dinner.

8  Thank Vince1090

Reviewed June 26, 2013

I arrived at 830 midweek, to a very unenthusiastic waitress who ignored me for a minute or two while she finished doing something else; even though she saw me there was no acknowledgment at all.
She told me that the kitchen closed at 830, she'd see if they'd let me in.
So she spoke to another staff member, presumably the manager, who approached and said " if I can get a main out of you fast you can come in". Excuse me? I guess I assumed that they were running a business and I was a customer. This was clearly incorrect and they were obviously doing me a favour in exchange for my money.
Really I ought to have pulled the pin there but, I was concerned that I wouldn't find anything else as it was so late (?).
I ordered a sparkling wine which lacked sparkle.
My entree was French onion soup, was average.. A few twigs from herbs needed to be pulled out as obviously they're inedible. At least it showed that it was house made. The cheese croutons were horrible and were also fished out.
I ordered the 'Crispy pork belly' main.... 'Crispy' was a misnomer. It was floppy and very fatty. Rather than the fat being rendered away, it was all still there and very little meat present. As a result, I had 3 or 4 mouthfuls of pork meat and left the rest. It was on a bed of mash but the mash was covered in a large amount of apple purée that tasted like baby food. Way too sweet. All very gluggy.
The side of vegetables were the only thing that were done properly.
I'm a business traveller and if I find a good place, in a town like this, I come back, and I refer others. Pay attention Pierre's. just because I'm a table for one. At the ungodly hour of 830pm, doesn't mean it's ok to do a bad job.
On a note about service, I had to ask for a serviette, ask for water and couldn't be bothered asking for salt and pepper because I was over it by then.
I'll be spending my $80-$100 somewhere else next time, and will caution all my colleagues against Pierre's.

4  Thank Amp30470
Reviewed June 25, 2013

A wonderful location with fantastic atmosphere. The waiter who served us was efficient and friendly. I highly recommend the 'Ceasar salad with salmon', it was very delicious with good deal. Besides, the one you can't miss is the Tasmania oyster! It is small in size but very tasty; you have full confidence with their excellent water quality where their marine farms are. Go and try and you will find more :-) Good!

1  Thank Esther N
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Our party of five had a great table at the back of the restaurant, near the bar. Great food, decor, and atmosphere. Service was a little aloof. Definitely book, if you have a large group and want a good table!

1  Thank JulieL316
Reviewed June 14, 2013

A relaxing, casual restaurant. Friendly helpful staff and the food was very good. The slashback scallops were as good as I have tasted. The pork belly was presented in a way I hadn't seen before but still very tasty. Don't order a rare steak unless you like it blue. A pleasant night.

1  Thank GlennW661