“Food yummy! Noisy maybe background music would help.”

Novaro's Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 323 Restaurants in Launceston
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Novaro's Italian Restaurant is located in the heart of Launceston. The intimate 32 seat restaurant has been established for 21 years. Chef Nicholas Hooper offers local seafood, try the Flinders Island greenlip abalone in truffle oil, game and meats on his extensive menu.
Reviewed January 28, 2011

We had been recommended by another maitre'd to dine at Novara's we were not disappointed, in fact we went twice. If we lived in Launceston it would easily become a favorite restaurant.
The risotto was divine it was the best I think I had ever eaten. The pear ravioli, well I wanted more. The blue eye trevall oh my it was so good, we are unable to buy that fish in Melbpurne. Great service, the staff were friendly talkative. It was good to have a palate cleanser between courses, but was forgotten the second night we dined there. (other patrons were given it) it didn't detract from anything we ate. Desserts sublime, the best
creme caramel with a hard crispy topping the spoon danced on the top of it!
Yes it is a small dining room, and noisy too, maybe some background music would help, but
we thoroughly enjoyed the experience, we did think it was expensive especially for
Launceston but not compared to what we pay in Melbourne for that kind of meal & service.

Reviewed January 9, 2011

The food is more provincial French than Italian with many heavy type meals. This makes it an excellent winter time restaurant. Probably bit heavy for summer but hey, it is great food. Arguably the best restaurant in Launceston if consistency is the major criteria.

Space is limited and best suited to two to eight people. Price is expensive by Tasmanian standards, but not that dear, with the quality and quantity of meals giving top value. For us locals the need to book is a nuisance, so it tends to be reserved for special occasions rather than a weekly night out.

The menu is limited but changes frequently so manages to keep a loyal base of locals. Well worth a visit.

Cheers

Reviewed December 6, 2010

I dined here with colleagues from work - the company was great, but the food was mixed. I had bread to start - one small piece of herb bread came out on a huge plate. It was embarassingly small... The steak for main was good quality and nicely cooked. Dessert of chocolate pudding was the highlight - really delicious. The wine list is expensive and overall this is not good value for the price paid. The dining room has a nice atmosphere when it is not too full, but got hot and noisy later in the evening.

5  Thank wombatdavid
Reviewed July 12, 2010

We recently visited Novaro's and enjoyed it but found the restaurant to be over priced and over rated. The restaurant is situated in a converted terrace which perhaps had one to many tables in it. You felt like you could easily join in the conversation with the people at the next table. The service was excellent. We were a little shocked at the size of the meals it was 'big plate, little food' after eating a number of other restaurants with awards in the area.
A little disappointing!

5  Thank threezacrowd
Reviewed March 11, 2010

I was referred to this restaurant by the river cruise guide, a local gentleman. I told him I wanted to go some place for dinner that serves local produce and is not a tourist trap. He recommended this Italian (which I love) restaurant and the plus was that it was a stone throw away from my hotel. So it was perfect as it was on my walk back to the hotel after the cruise. It was a Tuesday and it was busy. I was advised nicely to return in about 90 minutes. It was fine as it would give me ample time to get washed up and changed before dinner, even though I was assured by the hostess that I was fine the way I was. I went back and it was still busy.The hostess apologized for putting me at an only available and set table on the quieter side of the restaurant. They gave me magazines (as I was by myself) and made sure they stopped by to chat. Anyway, the service was wonderful, as a single female Asian traveller, I did not feel slighted at all! Food and wine was good. They never hurried me in ordering wine or food and spent time in recommending both even though they were busy. And the restaurant was indeed full of locals! I would have love to go back the next night, but as a traveller, I couldn't.....If you are still interested in reading on, I had 1/2 dozen Pacific oysters (each can be prepared a different way, 6 choices, 3 raw 3 cooked), Green Lip Abalone on Fettucine with Truffle oil (Tassie grows their own truffles now), and I can't remember the dessert but it was good! A glass of red from the Coal River region and cappuccino. With tips, it came to $95AUD. A lovely meal, a pleasant relaxing evening and a confirmation of the friendly atmosphere in the city of Launceston!

1  Thank HappyTrotterCanada