“Excellent Recommendation”

Novaro's Restaurant
Reserve with
Novaro's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 304 Restaurants in Launceston
Cuisines: Italian, Australian
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Novaro's Italian Restaurant is located in the heart of Launceston. The intimate 32 seat restaurant has been established for 21 years. Chef Nicholas Hooper offers local seafood, try the Flinders Island greenlip abalone in truffle oil, game and meats on his extensive menu.
Albury, Australia
“Excellent Recommendation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

My boyfriend and I were recommended this Restaurant by the local Launceston, chef at Josef Chromy winery. We were after somewhere the 'locals' eat. We were pleasantly surprised and would say this was the best experience of eating we had in our week long wine and food holiday in Tassie. We both work in hospitality and we admired the enthusiasm Sara had for her cozy little place. We know how much hard work goes into a restaurant! The food was delicious. My boyfriend is from Milan and he is a hard marker when it comes to his native food. There was a little mix up with our oysters. I think the other waitress forgot to order them so they came after out entree of snail pasta. The only negative with our night and it was softened by the delicious snails! The Frutti di Mare was true to a italian traditional dish (I see someone else reviewed it as bland, maybe they expected a cream heavy sauce , like a lot of other Australians??) The Gamberoni Spaghettini was amazing with the apple, my favourite. Great local/Italian wine list, a nice change from main stream, Adelaide and Marlborough wines!!! Thank you for a beautiful meal, we appreciate your passion and hard work. We will be back!

• Visited August 2013
Nicholas H, Owner at Novaro's Restaurant, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear Farrah14,
I am so happy you and your boyfriend enjoyed your meals! We are aware flavours in Italy are so very different to here in Australia and try our hardest to keep all our customers taste buds happy! You were both such a pleasure to have in the restaurant and look forward to your return!
Many thanks again for your kind words and time...
kind regards,

• Chinese (Traditional) first
“Pricey but great service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

Went with a large group, service was the best I have had in Launceston. Meals were a mixed bag, I enjoyed the ox tail ravioli and steak although my partners quail and seafood pasta overrated. Quail bland and seafood prawns and mussels great but salmon overcooked. Shared dessert chocolate pudding yum!!Would go again after saving up.

• Visited September 2013
5 Thank lyndsayqu
Nicholas H, Owner at Novaro's Restaurant, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Dear Lyndsayq,
Thank you for taking the time to review Novaro's Restaurant and for your kind words regarding the service you experienced throughout the evening. I am pleased you enjoyed your meal and have passed your comments onto the kitchen staff so as we are able to improve upon those dishes your partner was not satisfied with on the night. We take each and every review seriously.
Many thanks again and kind regards,
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Bellissimo”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2013

What a fantastic dining experience. We booked a table for eleven people for a busy Friday night and arrived with twelve. Our server kindly set another place for us without any bother. The wine list was excellent. The chianti and off dry Riesling were particularly good. I had natural oysters for entree, seafood spaghetti for main followed by a creme brûlée. All courses arrived in unison with excellent presentation and quality. The service here was excellent and we all left with full bellys after a wonderful evening. I look forward to coming back!

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Garshoe
Dear Garshoe,
Nicholas and I thank you for taking the time to review Novaro's Restaurant in Launceston. It was a pleasure to host your group and I thank you for your positive words. I will be sure to pass your comments onto both our kitchen and front of house staff as they all worked hard to ensure you had an enjoyable experience throughout your evening.
Thank you once again and kind regards,
“The Italian Job”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

Maybe I just picked the wrong night and Launceston needs an amazing Italian place, great dinning room and lovely short wine list and staff really helpful, is this Italian, I don't think so.

• Visited May 2013
8 Thank fdlav
Nicholas H, Owner at Novaro's Restaurant, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear Sir/Madam,
Thank you for taking the time to jot pen to paper so to speak, but unfortunately I cannot make head of tail of this review. Does this mean you would like a short wine list and no service...
Kind regards,
Sarah
Launceston, Australia
“Never going back.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

I was told this was the best Italian Restaurant in Launceston, however I and my partner had a very mediocre meal which was exorbitant, in fact, I think we were overcharged for our meal.

The Total cost was $152.70. We began with an entrée that we shared of Snails. My partner had an entrée size main of Prawns and I had the special of the night which was Scottsdale Veal. The veal was terrible. Full of sinew that was almost impossible to cut, sitting on a bed of basically mashed potatoes although they did describe it as something much more interesting than it was.
We both had desserts, I had crème brulee and my partner had the semifreddo. The crème brulee was nice, but at $16 it was no better than I have had anywhere else and was much smaller in size.
My partner had one glass of wine, and I drank water. When we first arrived we were offered Mulled Wine which we both accepted, and had one glass each, but on reflection, wish we hadn't as this must have contributed greatly to the bill. A very ordinary and very expensive meal in squashy, daggy environs. We will never return to this restaurant.

• Visited June 2013
10 Thank MollyLyn27
Nicholas H, Owner at Novaro's Restaurant, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear Lyndell63,
I am sorry to read your review of Novaro's Restaurant.
I recall the evening you dined at the restaurant and indeed it was I who was serving your table. I am sorry you would consider the restaurant "daggy and squashed" as I have always tried to present a comfortable and welcoming room for my guests to dine. Perhaps you prefer a larger, brighter space and that we are unable to provide being situated in an Edwardian house built in 1903.
We have not offered veal on the menu for many months as we are unable to source a quality, Tasmanian product when out of season. However the special on the evening you dined was a 220g, slow cooked lamb rump with a porcini, swiss brown and forest mushroom risotto and caramelised lemon.
At your request, we presented the lamb with wilted English spinach and mash as you indicated mushrooms were not to your taste. We prefer to serve the lamb medium rare, however the request was for the lamb to be cooked well done in this instance. Again, this was no problem for our chef, but as you suggested and were aware, the quality of the meat changes the longer the meat is cooked.
I apologise again that you did not enjoy your experience in our restaurant and hope you will try us again sometime.