“Love their pizza”

Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Love this pizza, Staff are friendly and the order was ready at the time they said it would be. We always go here when we are in town

Reviewed September 20, 2013

After taking a bottle of wine to a BYO restaurant and being told they were no longer BYO, we were a bit grumpy. After a quick drive we found La Cantina. The welcome was friendly and our waitress, Millie,was a delight. The food was excellent, especially the Tasmanian trout. We have eaten plenty of good Italian food back in Sydney, but the friendly service made this meal special.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

We had main meals only: pepper steak for him, veal with avocado and prawns for me. The pepper steak was tender with a nice flavoursome peppery sauce. My veal was nice - the sauce covering the prawns and meat was lovely. What was not so lovely however was the fact that half (literally) of the plate was taken up with a very basic green salad - large leaves of pale green iceberg (I think it is), occasional pieces of other type of lettuce, a few pieces of capsicum and a few of tomato etc. I would have expected a small more interesting 'gourmet' style salad that virtually every other cafe or restaurant offers nowadays. Staff were friendly.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

This is an ok place. The service from most staff members was quite friendly. The food was ok, but too overpriced for what is served. The garlic pizza is a tasty starter. My spaghetti was $25 and it didn't have meat (we knew this when ordering). It was nice but very bland and for the price I expected more flavour, maybe even house made pasta. To be honest the sauce tasted like it came from a jar. It had a warm atmosphere but had no music which was really awkward because it was so quiet, and conversations from other tables could be clearly over heard. They are byo which is great and it's only a five dollar corkage! They are open Sundays, but have a small surcharge which is reasonable considering it costs the business more to open on a Sunday. I don't know if I would go back as there is better value for money elsewhere and for what they charge they should provide better food and servive.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

My partner was interested in Italian food for dinner and this restaurant makes up one of four I was aware of in the immediate downtown-Launceston area.

We decided to try it as the menu, mid-high priced pseudo-Italian/Australian ($24-40) seemed reasonable.

The staff were amicable to a point, but clumsy and prone to making mistakes with orders around us. Our orders were simple and went through okay. Other people weren't so lucky and one staff member received a very public reprimand, not nice to see.

The ambience was awful, bad faux-leather school chairs at a table too long to talk over. Conversation was hard anyway with music constantly being turned up and down by waitstaff. All together not the most pleasant environment. The table was dressed with butchers paper which is never a good sign, and the wall art, well that hasn't been updated since the 70's I'm sure.

The meals were a mixed bunch. My partners pasta was fine, if not a little salty. My meal however, a $30 chicken dish was woeful. I expected a chicken breast and I received a a breast schnitzel cut thin as a wafer, cooked beyond comprehension til it was a tough biscuit. With the amount of white wine 'sauce' on it, I wondered how something could still be so dry... It was terrible. Bland uninspired vegetables that had seen the better half of a few hours on the boil that could double as pensioners soup and a small portion for the price tag.

All in all, a bad experience. Would not recommend to anyone.