“Nice atmosphere, good service, good food”
Review of JailHouse Grill

JailHouse Grill
Ranked #9 of 323 Restaurants in Launceston
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Australian
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Although priced a little high, I was happy with my experience at this restaurant. The waiter was very polite & professional while the ambience and overall presentation of the restaurant was pleasant. I enjoyed being able to see the grill where my food was being cooked.
My initial feeling was that the meals were overpriced but having the salad bar included made it more reasonable. The salad bar selection was quite good - nothing exceptional but a few of the old favourites along with some tomatoes, condiments and what you'd expect.
I had the beef scotch fillet stuffed with oysters & scallops - it was cooked just as I ordered, however the side serve of roast potato didn't seem/taste fresh. It's likely this was earlier boiled, then fried or roasted and reheated before being served to me and for $41 I would've expected it to be perfect and fresh.
Nevertheless I have no regrets about having visited this iconic Launceston restaurant and enjoyed my meal there.
Table bookings are recommended.

Reviewed February 6, 2013

I enjoyed the look of the restaurant, the steak was great.
I like being able to see the kitchen and the cooks preparing the meals. My Tip is to book early.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

Was in Launceston for a short business trip and was recommended the Jail House Grill by my taxi driver. Wasn't dissapointed. The steak was good and while the complimentary salad bar was nothing to shout about, it provided me with the greens needed to balance my meal. Would return if I am in town again.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

Good steaks. Kids meals were fine. Salad bar was a bit ordinary – wouldn’t go there for that. The place was open when many others were not. Service was fine.

Reviewed January 29, 2013

We stumbled across this little offering, and we're glad we did.... Daughter and I had the beef burger and it was awesome. Hubby opted for the bacon wrapped scallops as a main, and was more than pleased with it. We hadn't made a booking, but were told we were able to have a table, but that it was required by 8.00pm. This suited us, as we were dining early that night. Service was first class, and there are many venues that can learn from this well oiled operation. Our waitress was fabulous and even as the restaurant filled with patrons, the staff all managed to keep the pace up. We decided on dessert and weren't disappointed with the brandy snaps and the chocolate mud cake.