“Already looking forward to going back!”

Hallam's Waterfront Restaurant
Ranked #18 of 306 Restaurants in Launceston
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Launceston, Australia
“Already looking forward to going back!”
Reviewed June 9, 2011

I went for dinner with some friends at Hallams last night and had a fantastic meal. I starte with Abalone, my first time having it and it was delicious. A couple of my friends had the calamari which looked amazing as did the oysters.
The staff were lovely very friendly and polite and nothing seemed to be too mcuh trouble. There was a very good set menu which a few of my friends went with and were very impressed. Luckily for me the waiter allowed me to have the fish pie which was an entree on the set menu as my main and not have the full set menu. There were none fish items on the menu too and the girls had the pork belly which looked delicious.
The desserts were fabulous as well.
It was a fantastic evening. Great food, good wine and lovely surroundings. Yum!!

• Visited June 2011
2 Thank Sarah2009Ireland

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Tasmania
“Avoid like the plague!”
Reviewed May 13, 2011

Hallams was once Launceston"s premier fish and chippy, but it has drastically nose-dived. The prices have recently been jacked skyhigh, and the servng size reduced. You now get a measly dozen frozen chips with your $15 piece of average flake! Our interstate visitor rang and complained, and she was told the boss has instructed staff to only give 120g of chips. The small handful looks absolutely pathetic in the bottom of a large takeaway box. We will certainly be avoiding this place in future.

• Visited May 2011
2 Thank Gary_Meadows
Cairns
“Fresh local seafood with excellent service”
Reviewed April 28, 2011

The young waitress knew her menu and wines well and the kitchen team were a well-oiled machine. We chose the seafood platter, mussel broth, tasting plate and oysters . They are all beautifully prepared and the oysters were the freshest I've ever had. Make sure you choose 'grilled' for the cooked seafood on the platter - much better way to experience the true flavours. Would definitely eat here again.

• Visited April 2011
2 Thank EssenceOfGoodTaste
Melbourne, Australia
“Dissapointing service despite the reputation of being great food”
Reviewed April 26, 2011

We booked a table for 5 patrons who came all the way from Melbourne and we were strongly recommended not to miss this little town gem who serves amazing seafood.
Booking was made in the morning for initial 5 and I called later on that evening at 6pm asking for additional 2 seats which was rejected reason that its been fully booked.
Proceed to restaurant per booking timing greeted by duty manager, I assumed as for not being in the uniform like the rest, who seems like someone was just can't be bother to be there.
We've ordered 3 Trevallas, 1 salmon and 1 steak. Meals were pretty ok not great, I have to say you won't be disappointed though.
From 4 fish dishes we've ordered, my Trevalla had 4 bones with ranges of sizes which one of them is just too hard to believe that someone would miss it.
Being to have worked in fine dine restaurant I thought about to ask the duty manager about how often they left bones in their fish fillets, I was given a very defensive statement which they try their best to remove all bones as much as possible and It does happen time to time which I can accept even though as I mentioned we had other 2 trevalla dishes with no bones at all. To be in customer service is to be able to at least smile or apologise for complaint made by your patron. That night I receive no apology or whatever, I'm not seeking for any opportunity to score complimentary at all but yet I receive no friendly service or apology as standard courtesy.
Is that because I'm an Asian being stereotyped by him? Most likely.

Again, Disappointing service but pretty ok food. For the price i was paying to get such aweful service, I will never go back.

• Visited April 2011
2 Thank fezzamelbourne
Wongawallan, Australia
“absolute crime to overcook seafood the way they did.”
Reviewed December 10, 2010

Our first course, oyster shooters, with oyster shell, taste 2/10. then seafood platter looked very ordinary, and tasted a whole lot worse, the scallops were the smallest I have ever seen and they were very overcooked as was the grilled fish which was dry and bitter, the chips were soggy after being at the bottom of the heap, how we wished we had just bought takeaway fish and chips [from anywhere else] and eaten them on the waterfront. This was to be our big last night dinner in Tassy. Six of us bought 2 cartons of special icecream and went back to our rooms for dessert.

1 Thank hungrycritter