“Dissapointing service despite the reputation of being great food”

Hallam's Waterfront Restaurant
Ranked #18 of 306 Restaurants in Launceston
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Melbourne, Australia
“Dissapointing service despite the reputation of being great food”
Reviewed April 26, 2011

We booked a table for 5 patrons who came all the way from Melbourne and we were strongly recommended not to miss this little town gem who serves amazing seafood.
Booking was made in the morning for initial 5 and I called later on that evening at 6pm asking for additional 2 seats which was rejected reason that its been fully booked.
Proceed to restaurant per booking timing greeted by duty manager, I assumed as for not being in the uniform like the rest, who seems like someone was just can't be bother to be there.
We've ordered 3 Trevallas, 1 salmon and 1 steak. Meals were pretty ok not great, I have to say you won't be disappointed though.
From 4 fish dishes we've ordered, my Trevalla had 4 bones with ranges of sizes which one of them is just too hard to believe that someone would miss it.
Being to have worked in fine dine restaurant I thought about to ask the duty manager about how often they left bones in their fish fillets, I was given a very defensive statement which they try their best to remove all bones as much as possible and It does happen time to time which I can accept even though as I mentioned we had other 2 trevalla dishes with no bones at all. To be in customer service is to be able to at least smile or apologise for complaint made by your patron. That night I receive no apology or whatever, I'm not seeking for any opportunity to score complimentary at all but yet I receive no friendly service or apology as standard courtesy.
Is that because I'm an Asian being stereotyped by him? Most likely.

Again, Disappointing service but pretty ok food. For the price i was paying to get such aweful service, I will never go back.

• Visited April 2011
2 Thank fezzamelbourne

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Wongawallan, Australia
“absolute crime to overcook seafood the way they did.”
Reviewed December 10, 2010

Our first course, oyster shooters, with oyster shell, taste 2/10. then seafood platter looked very ordinary, and tasted a whole lot worse, the scallops were the smallest I have ever seen and they were very overcooked as was the grilled fish which was dry and bitter, the chips were soggy after being at the bottom of the heap, how we wished we had just bought takeaway fish and chips [from anywhere else] and eaten them on the waterfront. This was to be our big last night dinner in Tassy. Six of us bought 2 cartons of special icecream and went back to our rooms for dessert.

1 Thank hungrycritter
Melbourne, Australia
“Best Food in Launceston”
Reviewed September 1, 2010

I live in Launceston and was unaware of this little gem until recently. Everything about this restaurant from the service to the fish is done with tender loving care. The tartare sauce was the best I ever had in my life! The prices are reasonable for the quality of the experience you will have. The only thing I could complain about (because there always has to be something!) was that the meal sizes are a bit small.

1 Thank eskimoflick
“Consistently excellent! Superb menu for...”
Reviewed August 24, 2010

Consistently excellent! Superb menu for the seafood lover. A good choice for those looking for a restaurant to entertain interstate & overseas guests, family and friends.

1 Thank heads-up-launceston
Tasmania
“Good food, ordinary service”
Reviewed June 14, 2010

We ate our evening meal here on Sunday; it was one of three restaurants recommended by our hotel and also open. When we walked in, the manager at the desk asked if we had a booking. The restaurant looked about half full. We said no, and he left us waiting, unsure whether we should go somewhere else. After an uncomfortable wait, a blonde waitress came up and showed us to a table. She was rushed but she made an effort. We realised when we sat down that this was an expensive restaurant. The waitress was the only person serving on the tables, the manager remained at the desk and there were three people working in the kitchen. The food was good. The service wasn't. We were asked twice on separate occasions if we wanted to start with a pub loaf. The waitress did a good job of serving everyone, but she needed assistance. The manager was off-hand. The surroundings are casual, but for the price of the food I'd expect service that wasn't casual. We'd been to the Astor Grill in Hobart for dinner the Friday before. It made an interesting contrast. The food at the Astor Grill was also good (though different), but less expensive and the service was impeccable. The menu at Hallam's said that the restaurant had been running for 13 years. I thought it was possible that they'd become complacent.

1 Thank GoToUSA