“Authentic Italian”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Launceston, Australia
“Authentic Italian”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Calabrisella is THE Italian restaurant in Launceston for a combination of superb, home cooked food, great service and relaxed atmosphere all at very reasonable prices. The seafood, veal, pastas and pizzas all have that authentic Italian flavour, lovingly prepared by owner and chef Lorenzo. The staff are great and always good for a laugh and a friendly smile. The place is often packed out so reservations are wise, and it is still byo for wine so it is always great value for money.

Sydney, Australia
“Tasty, value & friendly”
Reviewed May 12, 2012

Menu was extensive for a quiet sleepy city. Nothing on the pasta menu stood out to me so I requested a pasta pesto dish which the chef lorenzo happily obliged too. It was delicious! I was very grateful. The food was hot & full of flavor! Much more interesting than the dull patrons. Was most impressed with the bill! Cheap & cheerful

Launceston
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Dreadful”
Reviewed May 2, 2012

Went for friends farewell party. She & I both ordered a bacon pasta dish. Pasta was stuck together, lukewarm, had to search for the microscopic tidbits of bacon. Guessed there was one Cherrytruss tomato dispersed between our 2 bowls. Bland, tasteless and foul. Waitress looked embarrassed when clearing the still almost full bowls from us both. Sure she's used to it though.
Only due to it being a sentimental night we avoided a scene. COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME & MONEY.

1 Thank Scot S
Brisbane, Australia
“AWESOME FOOD FANTASTICO!!”
Reviewed April 27, 2012

I reviewed this restaurant a while back but I'm quite flabbergasted by the last few 'reviews' of this place. One report whinges about the place closing it's kitchen at 845 on a Sunday night-----Here's the deal, love, I WAS THERE ON THAT LONG WEEKEND SUNDAY. My wife and I were over for the long weekend and went to the movies that night. Afterwards we went to Calabrisella. Since the movie finished at 9.30 it was a good 20 mins later by the time we got there. It was FULL. We had to wait for a table and once we eventually got a table, we witnessed others coming in well after 10pm. Yes, it is correct the kitchen was only serving pizza and pasta, but that was because apparently they had been so busy, they had run out of the meats, veggies, and seafood by that stage and they told us that before we sat. We were most happy with what they were offering and loved every last morsal of it. (The Penne Puttanesca is to die for!)

Goes to show, sometimes one has to read between the lines. This place is an icon of the city. It's been around for over 30 years and in my book that is all I need to know. When I'm in Launceston, it's the only place I go.

Great job guys, excellent awesome food as always, a pleasure to always feel welcome.

• Visited March 2012
AUSTRALIA
“A shadow of its former glory”
Reviewed April 27, 2012

Two very hungry diners fancying Pizza, Both have experienced Wonderful pizza from the Calabrisella albeit a couple of years ago, Both of us sat disappointed with the dismal things we received.

My partner ordered a Napoleatana, Anchovies, Olives and Oregano.

Now when someone orders a pizza with Anchovies, it is because they LIKE Anchovies.

What we received was a pizza with lots of sliced black Olives, the ones straight from a tin and have no flavor, and I think possibly one maybe two anchovies. very little cheese on a very flavorless base.

I myself ordered a Supreme, Come on, it was horrible, it looked horrible. Were you nearly out of cheese when you made this pizza, there was not even enough to hold the other toppings together. the toppings were mostly tinned, it was horrible.

I will watch with interest to see whether the quality picks up but until I read at least three or four reviews of this place saying it has improved, i will give it a miss.

Domino's is 20 yards up the road and is cheaper and better quality than what we received here tonight.

• Visited April 2012