“Great service and nice coffee”
Review of Samuel Pepys Cafe

Samuel Pepys Cafe
Ranked #3 of 332 Restaurants in Launceston
Cuisines: Healthy
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Samuel Pepy's Cafe works to give gluten intolerant people back the choices other people take for granted when it comes to dining out. It is dedicated to preparing and serving food that is 100% free from gluten. This includes cafe style meals along with a range of cakes/biscuits/slices as well.
Reviewed July 29, 2014

Quite a lot of coffee shops in launnie but nice to have a great tasting coffee for a
change

The service from the owners will keep me going back lovely people

4  Thank Andrew S

Reviewed July 22, 2014

Super lovely owners and staff, beautiful antique decor supporting local makers and creators aaand the yummiest freshest food out. Highly recommend

4  Thank Baristasista
Reviewed July 20, 2014

Super welcoming staff, very nice atmosphere for a coffee and/or lunch.
They will give you a little toy instead of a table number which I think is super funny.
Great place for young and older crowds, provides free wifi and 100% gluten free meals, fish and chips recently introduced. Take away available...

5  Thank Maximilian W
Reviewed July 20, 2014

All the reviews said how great this place was... how allergy conscious... nope. The first thing I noticed was the fact they had put pecan fudge in with the honey fudge... yeah that's not the best idea. Also for a place that serves lunch they had very few options and my vegetarian husband only had two choices - chips or chips with an egg.
We also had to wait a good five minutes before our order was taken, and it took longer than it probably should have to get our food. My husband also ordered a coffee that they forgot to make, but we were 'placated' by free fudge... It was also explained that the delays in service were the absence of a third member of the team who was ill. The coffee wasn't great apparently but it was okay.
The food was pretty good. I'll admit I couldn't tell the fish and chips were gluten free.
But overall... it was really average and I won't be back, which is sad, because as someone who is GF and DF (and allergic to nuts) I was really excited by the option of this cafe existing.

3  Thank oru_to_fold
Daniel P, Owner at Samuel Pepys Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2014

I am very grateful to sites like this that allow people to share their experiences with others. I am equally saddened that in this case we did not meet your need. It appears from your review that you are the type of person we set this business up to serve and reading that you were dissappointed has made us look more closely at our procedures to ensure a similar thing does not happen again. I thank you for recognising the struggles of what was an incredibly difficult day and for acknowledging our apology, explanation and offers of free fudge. As new business owners we have decided that customers will not pay for our inexperience. When a mistake is made, such as forgetting your coffee order, we offer something extra. It is a way of apologising (along with a verbal apology from the business owner)that has a direct cost on the business, not the customer. I also appreciate that many people have found we are considerate of their food intolerances/allergies and are sharing this with others. We have only ever claimed to be gluten free but as we learn more about this subject we are developing new dishes that cater for dairy free, soy free, nut free and even sugar free. While each of these is essential to the person with the allergy/intolerance, they are not the main focus of our business which is gluten free. Vegetarian/vegan/paleo/fodmaps are also diets that many other people follow. While we are aware of a need to provide options, due to our focus it isn't always possible. I do believe we are very accommodating and if given the chance have kitchen staff who are quite prepared to make something to suite any request. In this instance it does not appear as if we were able to discuss your particular needs. Again, I thank you for your feed-back.
Daniel, Owner, Samuel Pepys Cafe.

Reviewed July 19, 2014

We came here for a quick bite after arriving at the Grand Chancellor.
The staff are inviting and friendly and accommodating. We had about 6 of us to feed and seat.
Food was tasty, coffee was great and all good value.
I had a pot pie.
They are a gluten free restaurant.
Give them a go. You won't be disappointed.

6  Thank wildflowerb