“Great staff, delicious room service”

Ranked #2 of 30 Hotels in Launceston

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Gig Harbor, WA
Reviewed April 19, 2014

This hotel consists of serviced apartments, with a mixture of long-term and short-term guests. The location is very nice, within easy walking distance of shopping, the Boag’s brewery district and (a bit longer) a lovely city park/garden plus the Tasmania Design Center, a must if you like fine design in wood.

We stayed in early April for one night in a king one bedroom spa unit which was quite nice. The living area had a modern three-person couch, coffee table and flat panel TV. The kitchen facilities include a microwave, a small refrigerator, a sink, a kettle and sachets of instant coffee and tea. There was no dining table, but there was an amply-sized desk. There is also a small balcony, although since we were on the side of a main road, the noise was a definite drawback. If you are not already a member of the Accor Hotels’ loyalty program, you’ll need to join in order to get free WiFi. This seems to be true even if you are just using the public computer in the hotel’s lobby to print boarding passes. To date, joining has not produced any unwanted e-mails from the program.

The bathroom, with a Jacuzzi tub separate from the spacious shower, was very nice. There was ample counter space for toiletries, and also drawer(s). Breakfast consists of a very modest continental cold buffet and a large menu of cooked items. On the buffet, the pastries were less than inspiring, and the fruit offered was not ripe. The nicer touches, such as fruit compotes or Birchermuesli that we found at other large chains were absent. From the cooked menu, the eggs Benedict had a lovely lemony Hollandaise sauce, but one of the poached eggs was almost hard-boiled, while the other was very runny.

There is covered parking for $8/night, but it leaves a lot to be desired. The spaces in the bays for hotel guests are few, and very narrow. If you have a passenger, they will need to exit the vehicle before you pull in – otherwise, they’ll be trapped overnight.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
SebelTas, General Manager at The Sebel Launceston, responded to this review, April 27, 2014
Thankyou GHgrrl for your feedback.
I have passed on your feedback to the breakfast team to improve the continental buffet. Most of our breakfasts do consist of hot cooked to order meals but we can still look at further options to the buffet. While every poached egg is cooked to a set time to ensure consistency, I am unsure why one was rock hard. Again valuable feedback to the team.
I hope you have the chance to visit Launceston again.
Reviewed April 15, 2014

Friendly welcome even though the receptionist was away doing room service it didn't take long. Was upgraded which was nice room have always been clean and well presented.
Didn't eat or drink here this time, gym is TINY and I was told I could use gym over the road.....they said no.
Other than that it's well located clean and staff way friendlier than my last visit.

Room Tip: Go high. It's less noisy....mind you the street in front during rush hour is hardly busy!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Don2156
Thanks Don2156 for your comments on your recent visit.
I am very happy you chose to stay with us again. I am in the process of following up with the gym as they always had a preferred agreement with us for our guests to use their classes etc at their establishment. We do only have a gym with basic running and cycling machine and weights machine for limited workouts.
I hope you have the chance to visit again.
Reviewed April 12, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights on a trip to Launceston. The reception ave a good impression and our room was fresh and modern with all the features of a one bedroom apartment: aircon, kitchenette with fridge and microwave, bathroom with washing machine and drier, separate bedroom with wardrobe, iron and ironing board. There is a small balcony with table and chairs. A good feature if staying with family or friends is the ability to connect two adjoining rooms by closing the corridor main door. The Receptionists were helpful and provided a map of Launceston and gave directions for places we wanted to visit. We have stayed at other hotels in Launceston over the years and The Sebel now rates as the best we have enjoyed. Well worth a stay.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Thankyou JohnLevingston for your review posted on your stay.
Both myself and the team are very happy you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Reviewed April 4, 2014 via mobile

traveling on business. Had to wait 15 minutes to check in as staff walked past smiling. Not one asked if we need any help.

Restaurant service was slower, had to get own menu and almost went to get my own drink.

The steaks was the only thing that I would get back for.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
SebelTas, General Manager at The Sebel Launceston, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Thankyou Nicholas A for this feedback.
I apologise that the front office staff was away from the desk attending another concern. In general we do have it manned at all time.
While we have trained most of our staff from the restaurant to work with the front office systems we still have a few to go which would have assisted in this instance.
I have passed on your comments to our restuarant staff. I am pleased you enjoyed your steak. We have only recently welcomed a new head chef and his attention to local produce is definately being well received.
I hope you have the chance to visit us again where we can show this instance was a one off.
Reviewed April 2, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Sebel for 2 nights on a business trip. My room on the first floor was noisy and there was no ventilation or extractor fan in the bathroom. Instead of inputting my Le Club Accor Platinum membership in, reception created a new account for me and put the points from the stay to a separate new account. But the worst part of the experience was the broken airconditioning. I was not offered another room or any compensation. Simply given a tiny fan the size of a tissue box to help circulate the air - which, given the size of the room was a complete joke. The other alternative I was offered was to open my windows, again this was not helpful as the room was quite noisy even with the windows shut. I was left with either putting up with the stuffy room or opening the windows to the noise, neither of which left me with a good night's sleep. I appreciate that these things do happen, but the way in which this was handled and the alternatives I was offered left me very disappointed.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
5 Thank juztan
Thankyou Juztan for your feedback on your stay.
I do apologise about the way we handled your stay. Our air conditioning unit which can have the temperature raised and lowered was set on the heating mode instead of the air conditioning mode for that room when inspected by our maintenance team.
I have gone through with all our team so they are fully aware on how to use these units as they can be difficult to understand.
I am also sorry that your loyalty details were not recognised on checkin.
Please feel free in contacting myself if you need any assistance with any other booking here in Launceston or any other Accor hotels.