On checking in we reminded the red haired girl at reception that we preferred a room with a good view if possible (as requested when we booked as a Platinum Accor member). She gave us our room key and smiled reassuringly, telling us our room had one of the best views. So we had a look...and the splendid view from the 1st floor was onto a busy road and commercial buildings. So we returned to reception to express our disappointment and ask for a better room with a good view. The red haired girl made a quick escape when she saw us...so a young chap was stuck with us! He was polite and courteous and actually showed us to an alternative room with a view across a retail furniture warehouse looking at housing on a hill. He apologetically advised us that this was the only other option available with a good view (the rooms on the 2 floors above were owner occupied and not available to us as a result).. So our take on this - none of the rooms for Sebel guests offer a good view (and beware the girl at reception with the red hair!).
Moving on....the room was a bit like a cardboard cutout - very boxy. However they were reasonably roomy and clean. The hotel is a short 5 minute walk away from the retail hub of Launceston - worth a quick look. In room dining was surprisingly good for one dinner - but dismal for one breakfast. We didn't bother with the restaurant as it always looked empty at meal times.
We found ourselves spending more time at the Peppers seaport hotel and surrounding cafes on the water - had an exceptional tapas at Peppers for dinner - good variety, tasty and great value.
Recommend the scenic 45 minute one way walk to Cataract Gorge - take a meal break at the cafe or restaurant at the gorge...then slow walk back...very pretty.
We will stay at the Peppers hotel if we return to Launceston.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Sebel Launceston hotel is an elegant, boutique style hotel set in a central CBD location, within walking distance to the Seaport precinct and major attractions such as Cataract Gorge. Combining style and convenience, the hotel comprises 51 self-contained guest rooms boasting a private balcony, separate bedroom with luxurious king size bed and spacious en-suite. Many also feature spa baths and kitchen and laundry facilities.Showcasing natural Tasmanian stone and timbers throughout the interior and locally commissioned art, The Sebel Launceston offers charming, contemporary accommodation and unrivaled service in one of Australia’s oldest and most picturesque cities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Sebel Launceston reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Sebel Launceston Hotel Launceston
- The Sebel Hotel Launceston
- Sebel Hotel Launceston
- The Sebel Launceston Tasmania