“stayed again”
Review of Hideaway on George

Hideaway on George
Ranked #16 of 32 Launceston B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 1, 2012

thanks harry and phong.... enjoyed our five day stay with you both... thanks for a great breakfast...great value good location clean and my bed one would have thought i had bought my own... the pillows equal to mine also.... !.. read your own newspaper while breaky is being prepared...what a way to start the day and great for the wallet.... excellent and thanks guys...

Room Tip: give a call to ensure all your requirements can be filled before you book....
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank deekesdog

Reviewed November 30, 2012

A cosy B&B right next to the CBD. Our room was a loft and we had views over the city and towards the Gorge. Staff were very helpful with usual traveller requests - early breakfast, luggage storage etc

Room Tip: We enjoyed our loft (room 5)
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 22, 2012

The worst thing about this place is the TripAdvisor photo of it, which for ages put me off staying here. The photo makes it look like a 1960s block of flats, but nothing could be further from the truth. This is a very nice place - my only grumpiness with it (hence 4 'stars' rather than 5) is the hopeless instructions given for operating the TV and the fact that my after-hours 'please help' calls went unanswered - not good enough. In other respects I very much enjoyed my stay here, and my favorite place in Launceston, the historic Hillcrest House, has a bit of competition for when I come here in future! The place is set on a 'battle-axe block' so it's back from the street, and comprises 4 or 5 separate two-storey dwellings (maybe 20 years old) which seem to contain about four units each. It's set in really lovely gardens and is on a sloping block which means that the units at the back probably get better views. The quality of furnishings etc in the rooms is a cut above what's normally found in a B&B, eg monogrammed towels and very large bathroom. There seems to be a strong 'chinoiserie' style which I found very nice. Agree with a previous review that the Indian restaurant just round the corner in George St ('Pickled Evenings') is excellent, as is the Dickens Cider Bar two blocks down. Would certainly stay here again. PS - if you don't like church bells, Launceston is a problem because it has more churches per square foot than anywhere else I've ever been in Australia! Personally I adore them and if it had been warm enough would have had my window open all night to hear them better! With the window closed I could hardly hear them at all.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank KMCanberra
Reviewed October 6, 2012

My wife and I started our Tasmanian holiday here and what a great way to start it! The rooms are lovely and well maintained. The staff are very friendly and helpful and they produce and excellent cooked breakfast as part of the deal making this an excellent value for money stay.
We returned here for our last 2 nights also as we were so impressed. Fiona's is very central and is a few minutes walk from the CBD. 10 m from the Fiona's driveway is a great Indian restaurant, licensed or takeaway making staying very easy. Two city blocks from Fiona's is the recently opened "Dickens Cider Bar" - well someone had to do it I suppose! Ciders on draught: apple, pear or one with a pinot noir.
Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Some rooms have steps to access them.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank David C
Reviewed September 5, 2012

It's right in the town centre, just off George St. So it is not noisy at all. (Not that Launceston streets are busy anyway :-) ) Free parking right up to yr doorstep. Free wifi.
Big, clean, lovely room with firm mattress, & with new, clean , brightly lit bathroom.
Friendly staff.
within walking distance to restaurants in the evening (We drove but soon realised we should hv just walked). Breakfast cafe at the reception block is sunny, clean & comfortable. Also love the fruiting lemon trees all around the compound. Overall , we r very statisfied.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 22, 2012

We paid $140 for two people in a King Suite, which included a continental and cooked breakfast.
The pros:
- Good central location
- Good sized rooms, with comfortable king bed and modern bathroom
- Quite clean, except a few cobwebs
- Free offstreet parking
- Nice sheets, towels and a range of toiletries provided

The cons:
- We were in a downstairs room, and there was a lot of noise (mostly heavy footsteps, bangs and thuds) coming from the room upstairs, and from the stairs as people came down. This woke us very early in the morning while whoever was upstairs got ready and left. We were in room 2. I think it would be best to ask for the upstairs rooms (3 and 4).
- The windows of room 2 look over the pathway that leads into the building, so people coming and going can see into the room if you have the curtains open for light. Privacy blinds would be good.
- The shower wasn't hot enough, either at night or in the morning, both times with the cold tap turned completely off. Very good water pressure from the hot tap, but temperature only warm.
- Breakfast is served from 7-9am (7:30-9:30am on weekends), this is a little early for some holiday-makers!

Depending on your needs though, this could be a good choice. I would stay again, perhaps in a different room for a better sleep.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Moorina
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Fiona's is a lovely B&B in the heart of Launceston. Nice room, great bed, clean, cosy, and friendly staff. With free on-site parking, and everything within walking distance to the CBD, I happily recommend this property. My fiancé and I are celebrating our engagement with a driving tour of Tassie, and this place is a lovely find.

Room Tip: We had room 1 which was fantastic - spacious ans comfy.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple