“Good hotel”

Ranked #2 of 30 Hotels in Launceston
Sydney, Australia
“Good hotel”
Reviewed June 5, 2010

Couldn't fault the service of this hotel; check-in was smooth, parking easy ($5) and the location was quite good. The room was spacious and bright but the river view a little disappointing. We didn't look over the marina as per the photos on the site, but across from the cement works and a public walkway. The river water looked pretty dank to say the least. We particularly asked for a balcony as my partner smokes and were lucky it had recently stopped raining because it was uncovered, which I didn't like. In saying this, everything in the room was clean, well maintained and comfortable. The bathroom was very big with lots of room to put things, but the shower nozzle wasn't very friendly and there were no towel rails, just hooks.
There were some good restaurants close by and breakfast was cooked to order in the cafe downstairs, which was a bonus. {I'm really getting tired of soggy bacon in hotel buffet breakfasts.} Would probably stay again if in town.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Peppersseaport, Manager at Peppers Seaport Hotel, responded to this review, June 7, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Next time you come and stay ask for a suite on the 1st or 2nd floor as these balconies are undercover. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Regards,
Hotel Manager,
Peppers Seaport Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Hobart
Reviewed June 4, 2010

This is our second stay at Peppers, both times we have had a room overlooking a busy road and the city centre. There is no problem with noise, the room is very comfortable and quiet. The staff were very helpful and accommodating, allowing us to check in early without any fuss. The bathroom and other facilities are all of a high standard. If you have time there is a very pleasant walk from the hotel, along the river to Ritchie's Mill and into the Gorge. The track is well lit and very popular and felt safe once the sun had gone down. The hotel provides a good range of complimetary papers, breakfast is in the cafe on the ground floor, the room had breakfast facilities (toaster, kettle etc).

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience with us. We are very happy we were able to assist in providing you with a memorable holiday and look forward to welcoming you back again soon. I agree that the walk from the hotel along the boardwalk to both Ritchie's Mill and the Gorge are a must.
With kind regards,
Belinda Croudis,
Hotel Manager,
Melbourne
Reviewed May 31, 2010

Stayed here for 3 nights on a work trip in May 2010. Started out with CityView room, but decided that this looked a bit bleak and didn't like the view of the highway, so decided to upgarde to riverview suite for $20 a night (more about that later!!) Suite was great, huge lounge\dining area good kitchen and big bedroom. Was pretty quiet in spite of the 2 restaurants below. Gotta say that the riverside development is pretty low key, and that the dining options (ate in town) didn't look that appetising.

Complaints: Probably lack of breakfast room service, though I believe you can get something from the restaurant below. Also a bill stuff up at checkout Upgrade had gone from $20 a night to $60 a night and they tacked on the car parking fee for 3 nights, even though I had paid cash for the one night I had a car.

Haven't stayed elsewhere in Launceston, but i'd probably recommend this place, if you get a riverview room.

PS Room was a little bit dirty with unknown stains (blood red wine?) on some cushions

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank IntrepidNot
Peppersseaport, Manager at Peppers Seaport Hotel, responded to this review, June 3, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay. A full room service breakfast offering is available to all of our guests from 6.00am daily. The issues you raised have been addressed with the respective departmental managers and additional training implemented accordingly. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Peppers Seaport Hotel, Launceston again soon.

Regards,
Hotel Manager
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed May 21, 2010

I would have to state for the record that Seaport is by far and away the best of the four and a half star hotels in Launceston and I have stayed in all of them as my wife and I travel up to visit the wineries often. The staff are friendly, respectful of your needs and best of all smile. Having read other reveiws of the hotel on trip advisor I can quitre catagorically say we had absolutely no problems with anything. The a/c worked, the restaurants were nice, All the staff were cheary and helpful especially the reception staff. They must of had a bit of a stir up since March. It's good to see that these reviews are taken on board by mahagement of the hotels in question. Keep up the great work Peppers, I'll be back again... soon.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Goatee4641
Peppersseaport, Manager at Peppers Seaport Hotel, responded to this review, May 23, 2010

Kind Regards,
Hotel Manager
Hobart, Tasmania
Reviewed March 25, 2010

Booked by phone for two nights to take in Launceston's Fetivale weekend. Arrived late on Friday - booked in; all very happy - nice rooms etc. Off to Festivale in the morning - imagine our surprise on our return to find that the staff were packing up our gear (children were very upset and confused). Basically they had mucked up our booking and double booked the room (they claimed we had only booked one night - we would not have bothered travelling to Launceston for the one night when the whole point of going was to spend Saturday night at Festivale).

Anyway while these things happen, the attitude of the duty Manager was appalling; they were more interested in getting us out than looking after us. They hadn't even begun to look for any alternative accommodation - they did so on my protests and came up with something 40 minutes away! And was there any follow up contact or apology the following week - nothing. Very poor work Peppers - while we made the most of our situation (travelled home to Hobart that evening) it really took the gloss off our planned weekend. Raspberries to you.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank Clearair21
Shannon E, General Manager at Peppers Seaport Hotel, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Thank you for your review. I apologise that there has been a delay in response to your feedback which coincides with a series of Management changes at the property. As the now appointed General Manager at Peppers Seaport Hotel I have reviewed all of the Tripadvisor responses to identify our Guests verdict on nominated areas for improving. We look forward to delivering on these recommendations throughout the New Year.

sydney
Reviewed March 19, 2010

We stayed four nights having lived in this city twenty years ago. When I booked online I selected city-view suite and having read reviews here had second thoughts. At check in I requested river view and after a lot of keypunching we got it for no extra charge. Room was spacious and the view over the cement factory industrial area was intriguing - the charm of Launceston is that its not a particularly sophisticated city and this is about as good as you can get, from my observations all the other midtown hotels lack any sort of outlook other than rooftops. The suite was clean and comfortable but the balcony was pretty small and precipitous from the fifth floor. We found it necessary to shut doors and windows because of the smoke and noise from adjacent rooms and the bars below. Air conditioning was noisy but effective and the washing machine sounded like it was about to launch the Space shuttle. As usual the rooms smelt vaguely of stale smoke and the decor was clean but uninspiring. The bed was OK but the couches not particularly comfortable. The cafeteria on ground level was disappointing and we did not find the adjoining restaurant/s in the least attractive. The fish "restaurant" on the boardwalk seemed good value although it lacked ambience in that plastic chair food court style. The sea-front concept is overstated, merely an unattractive housing development and rowdy beer drinking bars overlooking a smallish marina. On the plus side it was an easy walk to the decent restaurants (Black-Cow and Stillwater) and other major attractions such as Cataract Gorge.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank shortblack

Buckinghamshire
Reviewed March 10, 2010

I left my wife in the car because i wasn't sure about parking but the receptionist's one concern before doing anything else was to get my credit card. In fact she asked me 3 times while I was filling out the registration form and my wife still outside with the car. Eventually we checked in and unlike others we got a voucher to put on the car and didn't have to pay. When we arrived in the room it seemed very hot and I spent over 10 minutes trying to get the aircon switched on. It was only when I phoned down to reception I was told that the AC was out of order and wouldn't be repaired for 10 days. Fortunately we were able to change to a smaller room which did have working AC. Why the staff couldn't be upfront and tell us straight away about the situation with the AC I don't know but from reading other comments it would seem that either this is a deliberate policy or they simply don't care. The new room was nice enough and comfortable although the "river view" was a full-0n view of the cement works on the opposite bank the positon was convenient for boat trips and walking to Cataract Gorge. I am glad we didn't have the "town view" of a busy road and car showrooms. Other staff later in our stay were helpful As they ought to be but our initial experience with reception was a bad one suggesting poor management and I wouldn't recommend the hotel to anyone else. There had been computer available to guests in the reception area but on the last day when I needed to check in for a flight this had been removed and apparently given to a conference > Another sign of the disregard for ordinary guests that seems to be a hallmark of the place

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple