“Reasonable hotel but very poor reception”

Peppers Seaport Hotel
Ranked #1 of 30 Hotels in Launceston
Reviewed March 10, 2010

I left my wife in the car because i wasn't sure about parking but the receptionist's one concern before doing anything else was to get my credit card. In fact she asked me 3 times while I was filling out the registration form and my wife still outside with the car. Eventually we checked in and unlike others we got a voucher to put on the car and didn't have to pay. When we arrived in the room it seemed very hot and I spent over 10 minutes trying to get the aircon switched on. It was only when I phoned down to reception I was told that the AC was out of order and wouldn't be repaired for 10 days. Fortunately we were able to change to a smaller room which did have working AC. Why the staff couldn't be upfront and tell us straight away about the situation with the AC I don't know but from reading other comments it would seem that either this is a deliberate policy or they simply don't care. The new room was nice enough and comfortable although the "river view" was a full-0n view of the cement works on the opposite bank the positon was convenient for boat trips and walking to Cataract Gorge. I am glad we didn't have the "town view" of a busy road and car showrooms. Other staff later in our stay were helpful As they ought to be but our initial experience with reception was a bad one suggesting poor management and I wouldn't recommend the hotel to anyone else. There had been computer available to guests in the reception area but on the last day when I needed to check in for a flight this had been removed and apparently given to a conference > Another sign of the disregard for ordinary guests that seems to be a hallmark of the place

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Indiophile
Shannon E, General Manager at Peppers Seaport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2014

Thank you for your review. I apologise that there has been a delay in response to your feedback which coincides with a series of Management changes at the property. As the now appointed General Manager at Peppers Seaport Hotel I have reviewed all of the Tripadvisor responses to identify our Guests verdict on nominated areas for improving. We look forward to delivering on these recommendations throughout the New Year.

There are newer reviews for Peppers Seaport Hotel

Reviewed March 7, 2010

We checked into a pleasant room and went out for the day. On our return we found that the west facing room with blinds wide open was unbearably HOT. Wanting to rest before dinner we tried to turn on the airconditioning, to discover it did not work. When we called down to reception they were completely unhelpful, unapologetic and even slightly nasty about the situation. We learned that 13 rooms were without airconditioning and that they were "waiting for a part" from Japan. At no time during checkin were we advised about this, which we felt was very deceptive since they clearly knew about the problem; nor were we provided with the option to move. While we could have taken steps to keep the room coooler had we known about the problem beforehand, it was the attitude of the staff that was most upsetting and that completely spoiled our stay. We definitely wont be back.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Batistello

Reviewed March 1, 2010

We dropped our jaw on the size of the apartment the moment that we opened the door. It's massive. The living room, the bathroom, the bedroom, the kitchen...
It is one of the best apartments that I've ever stayed on. Clean, well maintained. Balcony and views are not so good though. But Overall, it's excellent.
One thing that I would never forget from this hotel is that the receptionist booked us on a dinner at Novaro's when we told her/him (can't remember :D) that we need to find a place for dinner because Fee & Me and Stillwater were fully booked that night. It turned out to be a memorable night as the restaurant is one of the best we've ever eaten in our travels. Thank you sir/m'am!!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 13, 2010

We only stayed one night but it was good one. We actually got upgraded a suite - which was bigger than our whole house. Rooms are decorated well - nice and modern, comfortable! The water view is ok - I have had better! Nice restaurant strip below. Our room had a balcony which I enjoyed. Overall a very relaxing stay. Didn't want to leave.

Only negative - having to pay $5 for parking! We'd still go back :-)

Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 3, 2010

We apparently got some brilliant deal - "only" $169 per night per double, but they added on $5 a night for parking (which they hadn't warned us about). The room was tiny and ill-designed and the decor pretentious. The frig was over-stuffed with "mini-bar" items they clearly hoped you'd be a sucker and buy - and there was hardly any room for food we wanted refrigerated. Air conditioning was very loud, and king bed not comfy because it was two beds joined. Staff were pleasant, but I certainly would not go back.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 1, 2010

We came for a gourmet weekend in Launceston.The hotel is in a good position-an easy walk virtually any where.We booked a river view room-high tide was at night so more a mud flat view!Also in summer there was a fair bit of noise from the restaurant below.On the city view side though there is a main road.
We got a rate of $170 a night which included a Tassie gourmet hamper-chocolates and cheese,a bottle of wine and a $25 voucher for the spa so quite reasonable value.
Ours was the cheapest so smallest rooms but wouls be a studio suite in most hotels.comfortably furnished-pictures included.
We ate the first night at Silt-a new seafood restaurant at the end of the pier-fantastic oysters-$30 a dozen,great garlic prawns and really good beer battered trevalla and chips-$28 for 3 fillets + chips whereas 2 fillets alone were $21 at the takeaway fish and chips next door.
Certainly if the price is right a very good place to stay.As with a previous poster we have also stayed at the Henry jones hotel in Hobart and much more likely to stay here again than there.
Parking $5 a night.A computer with complimentary internet access in lobby.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank drron

Reviewed January 31, 2010

Paid extra for a river view room - only to be facing the cement works which start at 5am................

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple