“Nice location” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 30 Hotels in Launceston
London
“Nice location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2009

I stayed here for three nights over a weekend. The room was fine though the "city view" in fact consists of a main road and some car dealerships. The hotel is right on the waterfront however.

The reception isn't manned between 11 pm and 7 am although on arrival you are given clear instructions on what to if you have an early check-out or if there is an emergency. The staff were friendly and gave clear directions to the city centre (10 mins. walk) and the start of the cataract gorge (15-20 mins. walk round the harbour). There was a free internet terminal in reception which was useful.

I had breakfast in the cafe which although not owned by the hotel, does allow you to charge meals to your room.The food was excellent. It took a little while to be served though only in comparison to the bigger cities.

All round a very good base for a visit to this enjoyable small city.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank Travelfromessex
Shannon E, General Manager at Peppers Seaport Hotel, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Thank you for your review. I apologise that there has been a delay in response to your feedback which coincides with a series of Management changes at the property. As the now appointed General Manager at Peppers Seaport Hotel I have reviewed all of the Tripadvisor responses to identify our Guests verdict on nominated areas for improving. We look forward to delivering on these recommendations throughout the New Year.

Shannon Exelby

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2009

On our journey around this wonderful island we chose this as our base for the north of Tasmania.

The location is somewhat out of town but as compensation it is located on the Tamar River. Unfortunately the river was more mud than water.

Nonetheless our River Suite was a quite impressive site. Very spacious and with modern clean lines and cool furniture. The kitchen offerings were sufficient for those who would opt to stay in and cook meals and the bathroom, as was all the suite, fairly clean.

We enjoyed a great balcony off the lounge area and we elected to purchase some supplies from a local providore and enjoy local cheeses, pate and a delicious pinot noir for our dinner.

Perhaps what let Peppers down was the staff. As seems to be a common theme throughout large chains the staff were perfectly nice but failed to go that extra degree.Nothing untoward occured but it was generally a feeling of "I am only here to earn money" if you understand my drift.

Overall we did enjoy our days here and would recommend it as a base for visiting northern Tasmania.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2009

We stayed at Peppers Seaport Hotel Launceston for one night during our recent trip to Tasmania. If this is your first time coming to Launceston, location wise it was so easy to find. From the airport you get on the main road and then it is a straight 15 drive and there it is on the left hand side. We found this very handy as we arrived at 7.00pm and this being our first time to Launceston.
Checki n the girl at reception was very friendly, previous post in regards to paying for carparking, have to agree this is Launceston I do think this should be complimentary. Our room we had the standard room, no balcony which over looked a dealership on the main road, this was fine as it was only one night. The room itself was very impressive nice comfy lounge,and bed, and nice bathroom. So it ticked all the boxes.
We went down and had dinner at Mud, which is an unusual setup, it is also part of the pub, we unfortunately got seated in the pub section, and got stuck next to a table of 20 people, all drinking up and swearing every two seconds. The menu itself wasnt that extensive, I asked if they had garlic bread and they said no she asked the chef if he could make some up, came back and said no he could but instead gave us this clump of raw garlic butter - what on earth??? The meals took forever - however I risotto was very nice. Tip there is a great seafood takeaway place in the complex where you can sit and have a meal there overlooking the water.
That night I did hear people coming out of the pub, so if you can try and get a room overlooking the water. We paid $150.00 a night for it, and I thought it was excellent value for money, infact we Stayed at the Henry Jones Art Hotel and if you asked me which is better of the down I think Peppers Seaport would win handsdown.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank razzamartaz

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2009

I've stayed here about four times now for business and the service is always excellent and the rooms are always clean. The home-made soap in the bathroom is lovely too! The rooms have a couch, mini-bar, king-size beds, modern bathrooms, iron and a safe. Although small, the rooms are comfortable.

It's annoying that you have to pay for carparking (about $3 / day) - in a small city like Launceston where parking is pretty much free everywhere outside of the city centre (this hotel is about 1km outside of the city centre).

The restaurant downstairs (I think it's called Mud) has a lovely menu although some meat dishes take 45 minutes to cook - they are worth the wait though! Mud is located on the promenade on the river with a lovely view across to the nearby hills. On a warm summer night, the outdoor deck is a must for a cool beer or crisp white wine!

Although the waterfront location is peaceful, it's a 10 minute walk to the city centre where there are plenty of cafes, bars and restaurants. Although I have to stay here for work, I would probably choose to stay here for personal trips.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank AdsMan

Noosa, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2009

We stayed for 2 nigths in a 1 bdrm riverview suite. The sofa bed was made up for our 3 year old free of charge and there was plenty of room for our family of 3 in the suite. The main bedroom has a door you can close which is good if you need to put your little ones to bed before you. We had planned to have room service for dinner but the menu looked a bit fancy/posh for what we felt like on the night so we didn't end up trying it. I did note there was was a $5 delivery fee on top of the listed menu item prices which were not cheap although it was food from the fine dining Mudd restaurant so I guess thats the reason for the prices.

Parking was $5/night in the spaces outside the hotel. It is part of a public (payable) car park so you get a ticket from the front desk so you don't get fined & pay the parking on check out.

Nice bedding and pillows & the suites have a golf putter & roll up piece of fake turf for putting practice which was something fun to have a play with in the room. Kitchen was large & roomy with a full size fridge which is handy for families. The front desk staff were friendly & very happy to help with maps & directions to all sorts of places and they went to a bit of trouble to find out where we could drive to & show my son some snow which was really appreciated as we didn't want a long drive & no snow LOL. The view was pretty with the boats on the water right outside but the high power orange light outside the room was a bit annoying as the curtains didn't 100% block it out. Other than that minor thing - great hotel would stay again. Also complementary cookies at the front desk were a bit hit with my son.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank to_dee1

Melbourne
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2009

We stayed for 2 nights, staff on reception were helpful but lacked knowledge of the area and places to go. The room on the second floor was great with a lovely view over the boats and the hills and very spacious although the bathroom could have been a lot cleaner if you look closely. The restaurant was very nice too, the food was great, we loved the lamb parpadelle. We had breakfast in the cafe, the coffee is too milky due to the cups being too big. Also the Hollandaise sauce on eggs comes out of a packet and you can taste it.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GMGl
Thank you for your review. I apologise that there has been a delay in response to your feedback which coincides with a series of Management changes at the property. As the now appointed General Manager at Peppers Seaport Hotel I have reviewed all Tripadvisor responses to identify our Guests verdict on nominated areas for improving. We look forward to delivering on these recommendations throughout the New Year.

Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2009

Very nice hotel with modern clean rooms. Staff pleasant and helpful. Unlike other peppers locations that i have stayed in this is just a hotel and not a resort. There is no one at the reception overnight between 11pm and 7am.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business