“Kai-zen was great ”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 3, 2018 via mobile

Unique experience where a non Japanese loves the cuisine so much, he trained and opened a restaurant.

Kai-zen is a small cafe style family restaurant that’s not big on show, possibly even service but let’s the food do all the talking.

We were from Melbourne and looking for something light to eat, so Japanese was the call as a favourite of mine.

The menu is quite large so plenty of variations of base ingredients of beef, chicken or fish. These and all vegetables were super fresh and tasty.

We chose starters of vegetable tempura, beef tatami, sashimi, gyoza and chicken yakitori. Mains saw grilled salmon & beef dishes and all meals were beautifully presented and really enjoyable.

Will happily visit again and recommend you try this one for yourself

Date of visit: May 2018
1  Thank stephenr261

Reviewed May 1, 2018

A mate and I dropped into Kaizen for dinner one night. The food was average, but worst was the strange service that we received:

Upon walking in, we selected a table by the window that'd been recently vacated. The floor manager for that evening (an older man) came over and barked at us that the table was not available, despite there being no reservation sign on it. There were several other tables free, but he wanted us to move to the far back of the restaurant away from the window by the counter. We should've walked out then, but being relaxed people, we went along with it...

30 minutes later, we've ordered and still no others have come to claim the table by the window that the manager had angrily moved us from. He came over again, and in a much nicer tone (we'd just ordered $100+ worth of food), moved us back to the table by the window.

We're simple people who dress simply, and I'm foreign looking, so all I can assume from the way the manager treated us is that we weren't worth taking up a 'window-side' table in his restaurant. He treated us considerably better once we'd ordered; probably because he realised that we were actually going to spend some decent money in his restaurant...

It's not nice to be judged based on appearance like that; it's not like we had poo on our shoes and mud on our faces!

We had tempura and sashimi. The tempura was very greasy and the sashimi was the fish-defrosted-out-of-the-freezer variety.

Judgmental service, mid to high prices and average food. Not recommended.

Date of visit: June 2017
Reviewed January 4, 2018 via mobile

Had heard about Kai-Zen. It lived up to all expectation. Fabulous food and really lovely staff. Food is only a part of the restaurant experience, the people are what make it. Such a warm welcome, a great atmosphere to sit and eat the wonderful food. (Highly recommend the mini house platter!!!)

Date of visit: January 2018
Reviewed November 12, 2017 via mobile

Ok I admit it. I was craving some sushi so I was desperate but I have made a mistake. I have made better myself and I am not Japanese. Sushi/sashimi platter was big but consisted of tuna and farmed salmon, that’s it. This in a state that has a cornucopia of a delicious variety of fresh seafood. Squid, kingfish, octopus, etc etc. it’s just plain lazy, I’m sorry. Presentation was ordinary. I had sake cold which wasn’t (room temp); probably the lowest sake I have ever tasted. I did have my second bottle warm which improved it somewhat (best to just get drunk at this point... service was friendly and it’s obviously popular with locals (who need to travel a bit). It’s sushi, but not as you know it, and definitely not as I like it... but if you’re desperate, go for it. I might open a Japanese restaurant here myself, I’d put this place out of business in a month. Ambience and decor ok.

Date of visit: November 2017
Reviewed September 5, 2017 via mobile

Wonderful food and very friendly service. They remembered us the second time we visited which was really lovely! Seafood divine!!

Date of visit: September 2017