“Like a good bottle of wine, gets better with age + a/c” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Launceston

Hotel Launceston
Ranked #22 of 30 Hotels in Launceston
Bundaberg Qld
“Like a good bottle of wine, gets better with age + a/c”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2010

We had six nights here, spotless room, compfy beds, excellent amenities, excellent friendly staff nothing was too much trouble. Wonderful restaurant and prices comparable with other hotel meals and a lovely bar area. Air conditioning, which when I was looking for accommodation and wanting a great price deal, other establishments did not have. Don't think you don't need air conditioniing, believe me you do. The best rates in town. Located close to CBD and the park accross from Sandors is just beautiful, even has monkeys in an enclosure that you could watch playing for ages. Heaps of offstreet parking and no road noise. Best we found during our Tassie holiday. The elevator was a huge plus. Older style but don't let that deter you.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Indonesian first
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2010

This hotel is nicer than it looks from the outside. The rooms are clean with comfortable beds and if you are lucky enough you may get a room that overlooks the park. A car park is also available which is a real bonus. I would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sharls
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2009

We booked a room from the accommodation board at the Launceston Airport for two nights. We travelled to the motel by the airport shuttle, as it is alot cheaper than a taxi. A taxi costs about $35.00, but with airport shuttle is was $24.00 for the us of us.
On arriving at the motel, the reception staff was so polite, cheerful and we felt very welcomed. Our room was clean, comfortable and had all the necessities for a pleasant stay. It even had a mini bar that didn't cost the earth, so we enjoyed a bottle of red wine and ordered a cheese platter from room service at a cost of $15.00. $15.00 for a cheese platter at the time we thought was alittle expensive, but it was worth every cent. Tasmanian cheeses presented beautifully and more than enough for the two of us. We highly recommend.
The cafe at the motel needs our recommendation. The menu seems alittle expensive at first. I had the the chicken at $26.00, but what a meal! A fresh chicken breast, topped with seafood and a cream sauce, with vegetables. My husband had the eye fillet at $28.00. It was cooked to perfection and was so tender. Our both meals were large and beautifully presented. Our waitress was friendly and the service was great. If you go to Launceston and do not stay at Sandor's, at least go to their Cafe. By this time you might need to make a booking, as we are sure it would be one of the best eating places in Launceston. Give it a try!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Rome, Italy
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2009

This place is so and so. We were tired and on our way to Freycinet so we stopped at Sandor's just to spend the night. Our room was ok, a bit on the old side. What I liked were the soap, shampoo, conditioner dispensers, convenient and environment friendly. The hallways and a gate by the reception they lock at night looked a bit depressing. But it's OK to just stay the night.
Good thing is that it's walking distance to restaurants, and we had dinner at Black Cow, a great restaurant were we had the best steak in Tasmania, delicious, and not to be missed (the restaurant, not the motel...!).

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank myosotis

Travelers are raving about these Launceston hotels

Canberra ACT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2009

This place is well located and only a 3-5 minute walk to the shops and restaurants.

Check in was friendly and informative and the room rate for a queen size bed was $99. We had not booked in advance.

Although our room was facing the street and we were on level two there was no street noise as the windows were double glazed. The room with carpets and furniture is getting a little tired as is the motel but it presents well overall. It has air conditioning and we had to use this as the room got a little stuffy during the night although we had the option of opening a window. Carpets in our room can probably last for another 12 months but after I would say hasta la vista baby.....

The bed was large and we slept well- linen was clean as was the room and bathroom.

A big plus is a winter check out at 11 am this allows you to wander down to the shops for a leisurely breakfast- which we did and found a great place for bacon eggs and sausages and tea/cofee (Missy's down the end of a small arcade).

The motel has a good and well priced restaurant and we had a great slow cooked duck($24.50) and a roast of the day (18.50)- Presentation was excellent and plenty of well steamed vegetables although the roast potatoes were from the bain marie but still nice. Our meal was worthy of an 8/10 score. Wine was well priced and not marked up too much.

The motel is popular with families and touring groups and there is plenty of free parking at the motel on a range of levels at the rear of the motel. We enjoyed our stay here.

Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rovingrabbit2
Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2009

When I first saw the architecture of the motel, I fretted and wished I had booked a more expensive room, especially since the window could not be opened. However, after I gave it a try, my stay here was actually cosy. There was a modern aircon in the room that I could turn on all night long on cold winter nights. But the bathroom was very cold due to a small opening. Amenities include shaving cream, shampoo and conditioner, and also body lotion. I really liked the handwash gel but the shower gel was just too strong for me. At first not sure about the bed but turned out I slept like a log. There were 3 movie channels. The minibar was well stocked and the prices reasonable. The area was relatively quiet except when guests were arriving from the carpark or leaving early in the morning. Dinner was expensive for a motel, ranged from $20-$30 for main courses. However it was truly delicious. If you visited, must give the restaurant a try. I did not find anything special with the staff though (most were elderly). I thought they were rather awkward to me. I did not like the location which was 15 minute walk from the shopping centre and bus terminal. It was too far a walk to Cataract Gorge and there was nothing special with the city park view.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank Milonotovaltine
Melbourne
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2009

I have stayed here a few times and have always found the staff to be extremely helpful and friendly. Its clean and its comfortable. Its over the road from City Park and there are plenty of things to see and do. The highlight being Cataract Gorge. There is not much of a gay scene in town but the hotel staff were able to give me a few places worth checking.
Breakfast is actually good. I hope they watch the rates though as its getting very expensive. The breakfast ladies are a hoot. They are bubbly and really old world charm.
I must say the staff are outstanding and will go to no end of trouble. They can arrange trips and tours. I wanted to see the Tas Devils and they made sure I did not have to drive (which I hate) and a van met me at hotel.
Only jarring note which I notice quite often in Tasmania. Frequently things are not available from menu and dinner closing early at times. In a hotel one should be able to get a meal any ime. You get that in the most average hotel over seas.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled on business