“Uneventful” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #22 of 30 Hotels in Launceston
Rome, Italy
“Uneventful”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2009

This place is so and so. We were tired and on our way to Freycinet so we stopped at Sandor's just to spend the night. Our room was ok, a bit on the old side. What I liked were the soap, shampoo, conditioner dispensers, convenient and environment friendly. The hallways and a gate by the reception they lock at night looked a bit depressing. But it's OK to just stay the night.
Good thing is that it's walking distance to restaurants, and we had dinner at Black Cow, a great restaurant were we had the best steak in Tasmania, delicious, and not to be missed (the restaurant, not the motel...!).

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank myosotis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Indonesian first
Canberra ACT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2009

This place is well located and only a 3-5 minute walk to the shops and restaurants.

Check in was friendly and informative and the room rate for a queen size bed was $99. We had not booked in advance.

Although our room was facing the street and we were on level two there was no street noise as the windows were double glazed. The room with carpets and furniture is getting a little tired as is the motel but it presents well overall. It has air conditioning and we had to use this as the room got a little stuffy during the night although we had the option of opening a window. Carpets in our room can probably last for another 12 months but after I would say hasta la vista baby.....

The bed was large and we slept well- linen was clean as was the room and bathroom.

A big plus is a winter check out at 11 am this allows you to wander down to the shops for a leisurely breakfast- which we did and found a great place for bacon eggs and sausages and tea/cofee (Missy's down the end of a small arcade).

The motel has a good and well priced restaurant and we had a great slow cooked duck($24.50) and a roast of the day (18.50)- Presentation was excellent and plenty of well steamed vegetables although the roast potatoes were from the bain marie but still nice. Our meal was worthy of an 8/10 score. Wine was well priced and not marked up too much.

The motel is popular with families and touring groups and there is plenty of free parking at the motel on a range of levels at the rear of the motel. We enjoyed our stay here.

Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rovingrabbit2
Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2009

When I first saw the architecture of the motel, I fretted and wished I had booked a more expensive room, especially since the window could not be opened. However, after I gave it a try, my stay here was actually cosy. There was a modern aircon in the room that I could turn on all night long on cold winter nights. But the bathroom was very cold due to a small opening. Amenities include shaving cream, shampoo and conditioner, and also body lotion. I really liked the handwash gel but the shower gel was just too strong for me. At first not sure about the bed but turned out I slept like a log. There were 3 movie channels. The minibar was well stocked and the prices reasonable. The area was relatively quiet except when guests were arriving from the carpark or leaving early in the morning. Dinner was expensive for a motel, ranged from $20-$30 for main courses. However it was truly delicious. If you visited, must give the restaurant a try. I did not find anything special with the staff though (most were elderly). I thought they were rather awkward to me. I did not like the location which was 15 minute walk from the shopping centre and bus terminal. It was too far a walk to Cataract Gorge and there was nothing special with the city park view.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank Milonotovaltine
Melbourne
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2009

I have stayed here a few times and have always found the staff to be extremely helpful and friendly. Its clean and its comfortable. Its over the road from City Park and there are plenty of things to see and do. The highlight being Cataract Gorge. There is not much of a gay scene in town but the hotel staff were able to give me a few places worth checking.
Breakfast is actually good. I hope they watch the rates though as its getting very expensive. The breakfast ladies are a hoot. They are bubbly and really old world charm.
I must say the staff are outstanding and will go to no end of trouble. They can arrange trips and tours. I wanted to see the Tas Devils and they made sure I did not have to drive (which I hate) and a van met me at hotel.
Only jarring note which I notice quite often in Tasmania. Frequently things are not available from menu and dinner closing early at times. In a hotel one should be able to get a meal any ime. You get that in the most average hotel over seas.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank petersj
Melbourne, Australia
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 4,087 helpful votes
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2008

A scrupulously clean motel with adequate furnishings, within walking distance of this city of 55,000 residents' CBD.

Unexceptional but satisfactory, and no traffic noise evident.

• Liked — Well maintained rooms
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled solo
      Check in / front desk
2 Thank Victorianlad
aust
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2006

Nice handy location walking distance to the shops. The hotel was clean the staff were very helpful. My husband and I enjoyed 2 days there and were very happy.

8 Thank 2gaff