“Great Location - Good Vibe”
Review of Hotel Launceston

Ranked #22 of 30 Hotels in Launceston
Reviewed October 1, 2013

This is overlooking City Park and easy to walk to all CBD attractions - shopping, cafes, art galleries, design centre and local brewery etc.

The main areas have been renovated and have a rather edgy feel - the room I had was not renovated but still very good.

Mini bar was well stocked and room was very clean and had all the usual items.

There is a nice bistro/bar area - I did not go there but several guests were there looking to be having a good time. A nicely balanced mix of things on the menu.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
ManorBornIslandBound, General Manager at Hotel Launceston, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2013

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your comments. We are pleased that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us at Hotel Launceston.

We have been busy renovating and improving our offerings to our guests over the last 12 months, with particular focus on the bar, bistro and function centre at this stage. We are planning room renovations over the coming winter months. We are pleased to hear you like the new vibe in the bar and bistro.

We always strive to provide service above and beyond expectations - I will pass your comments on to our team members whom will be delighted.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel at some stage in the future.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

Good parts:
Largish hotel looking over a nice park.
Flat TVs
mini bar well stocked.

Bad parts:
Mouldy furniture.
Bathrooms in need of renovations (look at least 30 years old)

I arrived at 5.30pm. From the exterior I would guess that 30 years ago this was probably a decent hotel. I walked in. The restaurant and bar area was closed and the lights off. There was one receptionist. She was friendly enough but spent 10 minutes on the phone to a foreign tourist trying to take a booking. Not her fault but clearly they are understaffed.

I was "upgraded" to a king room (I had actually paid more upon booking for a king room so it wasn't an upgrade). The hallways are dark and gloomy.

The room itself was passable. Nice new bed but mouldy chairs...The bathroom was another matter altogether with stains a plenty.

Location is ok. A short walk from central Launceston.

Conclusion stay here if you get a web based deal for well under $100 and it's an OK option.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank booyeahSydney
ManorBornIslandBound, General Manager at Hotel Launceston, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your review.

In summary, the rooms are 3.5 budget accommodation. The hotel has been under new ownership for 12 months and there has been $500,000 spent on the property to date, upgrading the exterior, adding balcony rooms, interior walkways, bar, bistro & function centre. Over the next winter the hotel rooms will be refurbished so there is a 4-4.5 star option available to guests. These new rooms will be at a higher price point, and the property will maintain the same circa $100 price point for the 3.5 star rooms which is a very popular option for many guests. Whilst the rooms are dated, they represent excellent value for money and are very clean and tidy. Photos of the various room types can be found under the hotel rooms tab on our website.

The furniture mentioned and picture in your comment IS NOT MOULDY - they are brand new industrial-look chairs using brand new fabric which is made look distressed for the modern look of the chair. They were purchased through Milan Direct recently and as can be seen by the photos on the Milan Direct website, those marks in the chair ARE NOT MOULD but are meant to be there per the design of the chair.

The bistro is closed on Sunday's throughout winter and will re-open Sunday's from mid-October. The bistro will also offer live music on Fri, Sat evenings, and Sunday afternoons from early November. All other nights of the week are busy and bustling, and greatly enjoyed by in-house guests. The bar is always open during reception/bistro hours.

We do, as do most hotels in the low season only have one receptionist on of a Sunday as it is usually very quiet. We staff accordingly to the level of anticipated bookings based on historical evidence on how many staff are required usually for guest numbers. There are however times and waves of unexpected high traffic we cannot always plan in advance. Unfortunately there are times whereby it may be busy for a 15 minute window and then quiet for several hours which makes staffing quiet difficult in the low season. We do however train our staff to effectively manage multiple situations at a time, and in this circumstance we do apologise that our receptionist was not able to time manage a phone call and check in at the same time. Generally it is our policy to place a phone call on hold or request return phone contact details so that our receptionist may welcome you to our venue and provide a thorough check in service. Our receptionist will be re-trained to cope more effectively for this situation.

Our housekeeping department are very thorough and we have not had a cleanliness complaint in the entire year of new ownership. It would be appreciated if you could advise us of the exact room number that you stayed in so that I may do a room inspection to review the stains you are mentioning. The property does have general wear and tear of a property of its era, however, we can assure you that our housekeeping team is extremely thorough. And as mentioned, full room refurbishments are scheduled as part of the refurbishment program.

Currently our hallways are painted a dark colour, they will be repainted softer tones in the coming months. There is new lighting in these areas however for visibility.

Once again, thank you for your comments and feedback. We are continuing to provide a new and improved property for our guests to enjoy in future.

Regards,

Reviewed September 18, 2013

We had booked and paid for accommodation six months prior, and assured of room overlooking the park. Sadly we were given a room level with back car park, with balcony outside to breathe in the exhaust fumes of the cars, the back door to car park banged late into night and early morning.. We were offered another room, but told to expect a lot of noise if we were to change rooms. The room was clean but the hotel was dingy and the hallway was painted very dark with multi coloured doors. Not what I had expected when I booked with InnKeepers, sadly disappointed!

Room Tip: Hotel Launcestion, also goes by the name of Sandors on the Park
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your comments. We are however sorry to hear of your comments after your stay and not during your stay as we would have moved you to a hotel room overlooking the park if you had preferred. Our reception team aim to recommend the best rooms where possible and on the night that you stayed there was a private event in one of our function rooms until midnight and as a result they are trained to recommend (but not insist upon) a room which is not located above the function room. The next best room option to our view rooms is a courtyard room, and although it does overlook the car park guests prefer them to the non-balcony rooms. There are photos available on this website and the courtyard rooms are very popular with guests.

Currently the hallways are a little dark and as part of our ongoing refurbishment program they will be painted softer tones in the coming months. We are also installing an automatic door to the back of the property to reduce other guest’s noise entering and exiting the building, though this has not been raised as an issue previously so thank you for bringing it to our attention.

Thank you again for your feedback and we apologise for your not having been able to enjoy a view room on this occasion.

Kind regard,

Reviewed September 4, 2013

I stayed 3 nights with my family. It was just one shared room. But we were so busy enjoying launceston it was perfect. Clean, comfy with good bathroom.
The reception girls were fun and nice. The breakfast is basic but nice. The dinners were fantastic.
Very happy with our stay. And the price was great.

• Stayed: September 2013

Dear Sir/Madam,

We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your time in Launceston and at Hotel Launceston. We are striving to achieve a fun and cheerful experience for our guests and are happy to hear you enjoyed the service, as well as the bar, bistro and hotel rooms.

We hope to see you in Launceston again in the near future.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

I am not averse to 'cheap and cheerful'. I don't expect amazing decor in a hotel for under $100 a night. I'm not fancy: I've stayed in a LOT of country motels. But I do expect to be able to get into the room!

I booked a room in the early afternoon (at about 2pm) with an arrival time of 10.30pm. I arrived at about that time to find a note on the front door to go around to the rear entrance off the carpark and look for the 'cabinet'. All good, nothing new there. Except that I walked around and around the place looking for this mystical cabinet. I hiked up the hill thinking that maybe it was in an entry off the top carpark (it is built on quite a steep hill). Still no luck. Inside and outside, no cabinet. Finally I decided to try a nondescript brown metal locker-type structure which looked a bit like a fire hose housing or a telecommunications panel. It appeared to be locked as I couldn't get the door open. I hiked up the hill thinking that maybe it was in an entry off the top carpark (it is built on quite a steep hill). Still no luck.

So I schlepped back down to the closed front door and called one of the mobile numbers listed for emergencies. No answer, just a message bank.

I walked back up to the carpark and tried the panel locker again. I got it open with a mighty heave. Finally! The mystical box!

There was an old phone and a sign indicating I should dial 9 for reception. Did that. No answer. Twice. If I hadn't pre-paid I would have given up at this stage, but I know that wotif is quite strict about not issuing refunds. I was getting quite fed up.

I walked again back down the steep hill (I am so glad it was not icy or I would have for sure slipped over) and called the second of the mobile numbers. Finally! A real person! He said he'd be right out.

Waiting, waiting, waiting... My phone rang "Where are you?" "Outside reception" "Oh come around to the back door". So up the mercifully-not-slippery-but-still-very-steep hill once more. Then they couldn't find my booking. I was told they had not received it because it was "a late booking". (2pm is late?). Anyway, they finally found me a room after much to-ing and fro-ing. The whole ordeal took about 20 minutes. I had been travelling from country Victoria after a night on-call, so I was quite tired, and not expecting "Island Time" to be in effect in so southern an island!

The room itself was, as others have said, basic, clean, and in need of an upgrade, but perfectly adequate with a nice bed. There is a generous car park, and it is close to town and the monkeys in city park. Oh, and the excellent Tasmanian design centre which is well-worth the visit. I would only stay here again with check-in in daylight hours.

I would strongly suggest management:

1. Place a sign on the cabinet saying "Late Check-Ins" or something to that effect visible from the car park (ie not just on the front of the cabinet). This would cost only an A4 sheet of paper, a laminating pouch and some blu-tak

2. Photocopy the sign on the front door with the mobile numbers to call and place it INSIDE the cabinet, so that if the "dial 9" phone is not working, it is easy to call the backup number.

3. After hours staff not answer in uggies and pyjama bottoms. NOT professional.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Jennifer D
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Booked here for 1 night stay with my husband and 9 year old. Yes the hotel had been renovated on the outside and bar but the rooms are very tired looking. The double bed was so hard and uncomfortable. Carpets are shabby, as is the bathroom. The banging of doors during the night and the music from down stairs made it really hard to sleep. Went to get a bite to eat at 9.32pm and was told kitchen closes at 9.30. Surely not to late for a toasted sandwhich or bowl of chips?
Breakfast was ordinary. Stale sourdough toast and poached eggs that where rock hard.

Room Tip: Take ear plugs
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
ManorBornIslandBound, General Manager at Hotel Launceston, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Thank you for your comments. Without knowing all the details from your booking; e.g. date, room number, etc I can only make limited comments however do so as follows;

I am sorry you feel the rooms were not to your standard. We are a 3.5 star property offering budget accommodation around the $100 mark. Our rooms are well presented, clean and suitable for that price point. We have completed the hotel renovation plan phase 1 by completing the bar, bistro and function rooms. The next phase of the plan is to refurbish the hotel rooms which we are starting in winter 2014. There are some rooms which are over the bar area which can incur noise until the end of service, which is no later than midnight. Guests are advised of these rooms when booking and it is listed on all of our booking sites and website that if you are a light sleeper we recommend you select one of our numerous quiet rooms away from the bar area. Our kitchen normally closes at 9pm so I do not understand why you were told 9.30pm, however the kitchen would have had the turned off the equipment and have usually left by 9.30pm. We usually do aim to accommodate wherever possible so I’m sorry we were unable to assist you on this occasion. Our bread arrives fresh every single day so there is very little chance that it was stale; however we do apologise if that was the case, and we are sorry that you found your eggs overcooked. Did you mention this to the breakfast waiter? I have not been notified of any complaints whilst on the property relating to your breakfast or any other issues mentioned. We always aim to fix any problems as they arrive whilst you are at the property, and encourage our guests to provide such feedback at the time of the event so that we may have had the opportunity to address such issues and leave happy. For example, we would have been happy to move you to a room with a softer bed and re-cook your breakfast for you. Once again, I do apologise for any inconveniences caused and I am sorry I didn’t have the opportunity to address these issues at the time, as I would have been most happy to help.

Hotel Manager

Reviewed July 18, 2013

Second visit for business and now my regular hotel. The rooms are dated but clean. I like the King room on the top floor overlooking the park. The hotel is under renovation but you can see that it is going to look great when finished. Love the new bar & bistro. Delicious meals at a reasonable price, friendly staff who go the extra mile and the conference I attended was professionally presented. On arrival, I had a small issue with luggage which the reception staff took the trouble to assist me with even though it was an external problem. I like the central location with parking at the door but walking distance to everything as well. Overall, not 5 star but good value for money and only going to get better.

Room Tip: King room, top floor overlooking the park.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your comments. It’s very nice to hear positive feedback as most only comment if they have something negative to say. We have put a lot of hard work, energy and money into the hotel over the last year and have much more to come. It’s great to hear that our renovations and operational changes have been well received so far. A lot has happened in 10 months! We always aim to say yes rather than no and go that extra mile for our guests so I am pleased you were happy with the service from reception, bistro and conferencing. The king rooms are our nicest rooms and we would recommend guests pay the extra $10 for those rooms overlooking the park – it’s not much more for a bigger bed, lots of natural light and a nice park view.
If you would like to become a regular corporate guest, we recommend you visit our corporate page on our website thehotellaunceston.com.au to review the specials, packages, and bonuses available to our regular guests. There are also some forms that you can complete to make your future check in & out processes faster, if you wish.

Thank you again for your comments – very much appreciate your ongoing support.

Hotel Manager