“Not for us”

Country Club Tasmania
Ranked #7 of 30 Hotels in Launceston
Reviewed June 23, 2009

It's horses for courses. Some will love this place while others will hate it. My wife and I aren't big fans of this type of accommodation. It's a nice place but we don't have a champagne lifestyle so we found it a bit overboard. We thought the decor was a bit tacky a la Las Vegas and it's really geared to getting people into the casino. The buffet was fantastic and good value for money but that's where it stops for us. Our room was located on the first floor and it was so noisy that we could hear the live band from the entertainment venue below us. Parking for guests' cars was another issue. The complex has a nominal public car park but it gets full fairly quickly so there's nowhere to park. Guests have the option of valet parking but that also gets full. Parking was my biggest gripe. The rooms were not good value for money unles you want to play millionaire for a night. Take lots of money. You'll need it. I was so disappointed and couldn't wait to leave. We won't be staying again. Sorry.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 001525
There are newer reviews for Country Club Tasmania

Reviewed March 19, 2009

This is a really good value and clean hotel which is like a good English country manor hotel at a much lower price. Prices are low in part because of the casino. The hotel has good, nicely appointed rooms and the service is quick and attentive. there are a variety of restaurants. We ate at the dinner buffet which was perfectly adequate especially for the low price (cheaper than a breakfast buffer at many hotels). Fitness center has a small but reasonably nice pool. No elliptical or stair machine in the fitness center.

• Stayed: March 2009
Reviewed December 7, 2008

We stayed in a manor suite for a couple of nights.

Don't stay if you have a gambling bug!

Pros
The suite was spacious; Nice view of lake
Comfy bed, good service (apart from chef in one restaurant wouldn't cook my steak 15mins before close of kitchen!)
Good gym, great pool.
Selection of restaurants, plenty to do, golf course, gambling, tennis.
The bathroom was magic!
Nice grounds.

Cons
Small drive from town. About 10 minutes. No chance of walking.

• Stayed: December 2008
2  Thank mav777
Reviewed May 4, 2008

My partner and I stayed here late last year. The hotel was ok but the customer service was terrible. I left a precious black ring on the night stand. I called the hotel as soon as I realised that I had left it behind we were simply told the cleaners did not find it. Upon insisting the ring my have fallen under the bed we were told simply there was nothing they could do for us and did not return several further attempts of contact. If you are going to stay at this hotel lock up your valuables and don't leave anything behind! Unlike the Grand Hyatt who actually called me for an item left behind, you will never see your valuables again from this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ChloeMelbourne
Reviewed March 16, 2008

I,m not sure if this Hotel is rated 5* but it should be, spotlessly clean, spacious rooms and bathrooms , and although 5 km out of the city there is plenty here to keep you occupied - tennis courts, golf course, swimming pool and casino.
There are several eateries in the complex and I had dinner at the Links - the meal was very good but when I arrived at the Restaurant I was initially told that the tables are for 2 or more diners! I found this extraordinary, aren,t single travellers allowed to eat? I think the waitress saw the expression on my face and wisely decided to allow me a table rather than deal with a hungry, cross, menopausal woman - there were only 6 tables occupied the whole time I was in there so they certainly were not booked out.
However I will put this down to a bad hair day on her part as the service in the Hotel otherwise could not be faulted. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled solo
2  Thank margsch
Reviewed September 19, 2007

We stayed in a Manor Suite, one of the 5 star rated rooms, and it was certainly impressive. The suite has a large plasma tv inbuilt into the wall, touch screen channel changing, and free in room movies. Bathroom was very modern, certainly as good as you will get anywhere. About the only drawback to the suite is the small balcony, but overall very classy and relaxing.

The hotel has a decent range of activities, but if you don't play golf , ride horses or gamble you might find it hard to pass the time, but there is enough to do overall

The pool area is small but sunny, and the spa is big enough.

There are plenty of options for dining, we took the free shuttle bus (which was very convenient) to the Bolters Bar, which does excellent wood fired pizza, after a great meal and a few drinks we simply asked at the bar to be picked up by the shuttle again and within a few minutes we were back at the main country club building.

The main drawback of this venue is that it's quite busy (especially when we went on a friday night) so beware the rowdy patrons of the casino, and its a 6km to the Launceston city mall.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AdiAdrian
Reviewed September 18, 2007

We stayed at the country club casino for two nights and I could have stayed for many more. We stayed in a suite and it was extemely comfortable with a wonderful bathroom. The staff were very pleasant and accommodating and there is a great array of activities to take part in. We did not gamble at all but we enjoyed the pool, spa, gym and very pleasant walks around the complex. There is a good choice of restaurants and we didn't have to leave the resort for anything.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple