Launceston Backpackers
The Sebel Launceston(Launceston)(Great Value!)
$145
  • Room Service
$167
$131
  • Restaurant
Apartments At York Mansions(Launceston)(Great Value!)
$155
Commodore Regent(Launceston)
$128
Hotels.com
Village Family Motor Inn(Launceston)(Great Value!)
$91
$88
Hotels.com
Clarion Hotel City Park Grand(Launceston)(Great Value!)
$139
$130
Agoda.com
Balmoral on York(Launceston)(Great Value!)
$77
Travelocity
Mantra Charles Hotel(Launceston)(Great Value!)
$127
Auldington(Launceston)(Great Value!)
$88
$76
Hotwire.com
All reviewsfemale dormsleeping bagan en suite roomcoles supermarketlarge kitchenshort or long stayroom keyclean tidygreat place to stayquiet at nightwithin walking distancefree wifiold houseoverland trackliving areacity centrereception staff
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 9, 2011

This was my first time travelling alone, also my first time at a hostel/backpackers and quite frankly I could not have been more satisfied.
The atmosphere was great, such friendly people. I really didn't mind the rooms, they have just recently been fitted with new heaters.
The kitchen was good, the common lounge is nice and cosy, theres modern computers with internet access.
A beautiful park opposite and a short walk to town and the gorge.
If I ever return to Launceston I will definately stay there again.

Room Tip: I stayed in a twin share and most of the time you get it all to yourself (unless you travel with someone and stay with them).
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed July 13, 2011

My partner and I stayed at Launceston Backpackers for several days and we're both pretty satisfied with the place. We tried to book an en suite room for the entire duration of our stay but the room had already been booked by someone else on our last night. We thought it'd be a big hassle changing rooms for our last night, but the managers were very helpful and tried to make sure that all was going well for us.

There are plenty of communal spaces and the kitchen is well equipped. There was a few ants in the kitchen at the end of our stay, but the problem seemed to be minimal. The staff were dealing with it pretty much right away.

The reason I didn't give 5 stars was because the overwhelming smell of bleach in the en suite bathroom at the start. The smell faded after a day or so, but it was difficult to go in to the bathroom on the first day as the stench was nauseating. I guess at least one can be assured that the place is clean!

All in all though, I'd stay again as it is well-located, well-priced with friendly managers.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 31, 2011

This backpackers is situated across the street from a small park and minutes away from the city-centre. Spacious common areas provide ample opportunity to mingle with other travelers. Kitchen facilities allow you to save some money by fixing your own meal. Sleeping rooms are quiet and the noise-level is minimal. Launceston Backpackers is a very laid-back accommodation. A consistently pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Spend extra to book a twin- or triple-bed room.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed April 26, 2011

We stayed here on two occasions, in November 2010 and March 2011 for about 2 weeks in total. Our stay was comfortable and we will stay again. The kitchen was clean with plenty of room.The staff was very helpful. We were able to book tours and get picked up and dropped off at the hostel. Tour and public buses stop at the corner. During our stays, the crowd was mellow and there was no noise at night. We stayed in a couple of double rooms and the double ensuite and we will gladly stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 1totravelfar
Reviewed April 21, 2011

While the staff their are quite friendly, that would have to be the only positive about the place.

The rooms are average at best. The carpet is threadbare, the mattress was thin, and the bunks are old and rickety. There was no heater in the dorms, and when staying in a brick walled room it got very very cold.

The dining area was sufficient, however the lounge area was dark and dreary and the couches smelt like someone had died on them.

The Kitchen was the biggest problem. Although it was large in size, it wasn't sufficiently equipped. For my entire stay, there was only one double frige, the other was out of order. This was a terrible experience when the hostel was full. Hardly any kitchen utensils, in fact, you would find more pots pans etc in a kitchen started pack from a homewares shop. There was a major ant problem while I was there. Ants all over the chopping boards, in the cupboards, making their way across the entire Kitchen. The manager's response to my concern was, "ahh nature". The ants were there the night arrived and the morning I left.

The pet cat while amusing to watch (it is a fat cat) has free range over the place and you will find him in the kitchen, or roaming the halls. I like cats, but not when Im trying to cook and it is malting its fur!

NO INTERNET! No computers, no wifi, nothing. There was an empty desk with a sign that brand new computers and wifi access would be coming on Monday, the problem was, the sign was dated over a month and a half prior to my stay.

I stayed here only because it was recommended to me in an email by the people I was going to Launceston to see for location to them.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo