“Julie visits the Penny Royal :)”

Leisure Inn Penny Royal Hotel & Apartments
Ranked #3 of 33 Launceston B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I was in Launceston to spend the weekend with a friend's family who were visiting from Brisbane for the Australia New Zealand High Schools Athletics. I spent one night in the Granary room. Although staying on my own, I felt really welcome, and quite at home. When I arrived the heaters were already on, so the room felt instantly cosy. My room had everything I needed, except maybe a toaster. I had a Queen bed all to myself, and the bed was so comfy I slept like a log. I loved the thick white adobe walls with exposed dark brown beams, the colonial light fittings, and the thick wooden doors. The bathroom facilities were nice and had plenty of character. I was a little disappointed the lolly factory was not open on the weekend, but I was still able to purchase a bag each of delicious chocolate sultanas and boiled lollies. I would love to stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the ground floor if you need easy access, or do not like walking up and down sligh...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank JulieL316
Write a ReviewReviews (2,310)

Reviewed August 27, 2013

We spent three nights at this hotel with friends. The rooms were well apppointed; we had full kitchen facilities which is important to NZer's. The bar was pleasant and the staff were friendly. The apartments are historic and lie right beside the Cataract Gorge walk which is worth a visit. Opposite an Art Gallery and pleasant river walk. We enjoyed our stay and all said we would stay again if in Lanceston.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Suse C
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights in The Dairy room. It was very clean. Surroundings & buildings are beautiful.Short walk to Cataract Gorge which is spectacular! Close to shops. Staff polite & helpful. Definitely recommend staying here.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We stayed two nights in the brewery room. It was a very clean,warm and modern room with plenty of character retained in the walls and ceiling. Staff were friendly. Cataract Gorge was a short walk away. Breakfast was free (up to $12 each) at the restaurant next door which was a choice of a juice and eggs (with toast and bacon). Unfortunately I am not a fan of eggs but was given toast as a substitute which was fine. My partner however loved the bacon and eggs. We also dined here one night and had quite nice main meals and a shared dessert. The hotel is a charming old building. The lights outside were quite bright even after some were turned off when reception closed at 10. Overall we had a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LaureninAdelaide
Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

Stayed 2 nights in 2 bedroom apartments with fully equipped kitchen. Shared bathroom is a bit small. Took AUD7 from coach terminal to hotel and AUD37 from hotel to domestic airport. 3 restaurants to choose from to eat dinner (did not self cooked as too tired). Lunch is taken during day tour! Reception is a small walk from the apartments and Cataract Gorge reserve is also within walking distance. A small beautiful harbour is just opposite the apartment and a big windmill is near the reception. Friendly staff helps with taxi booking to the airport.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Fl0renceLee
Reviewed July 21, 2013

The room was lovely, it is a converted old mill and so the room had plenty of character- exposed wooden beams big wooden bathroom door. The wooden steps to the room were a little slippery in the wet but caused me no major problems. The room was warm due to a very good (if a little noisy) heater. Staff were friendly and helpful when I asked for advice about the local area.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Jayne134
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Completely disappointed.
1) Lady at reception was not hospitable - rude and didn't give any insight to things to do in the wider Launceston area. Payment taken at CHECKIN, not checkout. Ensure that you check the room before you pay.
2) VERY DANGEROUS - would be suprised if compliant with OH&S. Definitely not recommended for elderly / disabled persons. Large flights of slippery stairs which you have to carry your luggage. Carpark on slippery hill with no handrail. Upon wet weather all stair rails and up-stairs tiled balconies are extremely slippery. Drains turn into enormous puddles at bottom of the staircase (and the rain was not torrential!!).
3) Enormous draught under front door, very small heater to keep room warm.
4) Kettle in room must be filled with a 'jug' from the bathroom sink as it doesn't fit under the tap. Have to boil on the bathroom sink, the wettest part of the room as the cord is too short ti situate us anywhere else besides on the floor. Is very dangerous!
5) Doors are very difficult to open. Got stuck in the bathroom several times. Would be particularly dangerous to escape if there was an emergency, particularly for elderly.
6) Included breakfast - good, however expected buffet breakfast. Only had option of bacon and egg (which was nice), and upon asking, muesli. Nothing more.
7) Shower head continually falls down. Unhygienic shower mat to prevent slipping in shower. Water went everywhere in bathroom even when using shower curtain. Bathroom completely fogged up - no exhaust fan.
8) Soap and shampoos supplied in bathroom were empty on arrival. Similarly some light globes had blown and hadn't been replaced.
9) Carpark is almost impossible to get out of in the morning - cars are parked very close with minimal room to reverse out of (at least a 3 point turn is necessary!!).

On the plus - there's a nice Thai restaurant a couple of blocks away (Star of Siam - corner Paterson & Charles St) and the bed was comfy.

Definitely wouldn't stay here again and would definitely not recommend to elderly, disabled or those with hip or knee replacements.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank iamwanderlust88
SWHG_Operations, General Manager at Leisure Inn Penny Royal Hotel & Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor, your feedback is welcomed and valued.

Firstly, please accept my apologies for the delay in responding.
I was unaware of your concerns and had they been brought to my attention during you stay, I can assure you I would have addressed these immediately, to ensure your stay was a more pleasant experience.
Due to the layout of the property, we undertake all care and attention with signage to notify guests regarding wet areas, unfortunately there is no elevator to access the higher floors. Ground floor accommodation is available, and during your stay this might have proved more suitable.

I would like to extend my apologies for any inconvenience caused to you and your family during your stay, guest satisfaction and comfort is very important to us, I am grateful for your feedback as it provides my team with the information we need to ensure we “get it right”. We failed to deliver the level of customer service that Leisure Inn Penny Royal prides itself on during your stay, however I am confident that we will rectify the issues raised, and assist us in offering our guests the standard they expect.

As a gesture of goodwill, and a token of our hospitality, should you return to Launceston, I would like to offer you one night’s free accommodation at Leisure Inn Penny Royal, to demonstrate we do care about our guests.

Please contact myself (03)63316699 to make an accommodation booking if you wish to take up this offer. I look forward to ensuring your next stay with us is more comfortable.

Kind regards