“Fine for overnight”

Ranked #3 of 31 Launceston B&B and Inns
Palmwoods, Australia
“Fine for overnight”
Reviewed June 19, 2013

The hotel is a converted mill so you can expect to hear other people's doors shutting and movement in the other rooms but it was a nice change to the bland modern hotel room. The bed seemed to be on wheels so we kept waking each other up when we rolled over and the heater was pretty noisy, but other than that it was fine.

We had breakfast in the restaurant which was good and had a drink the night before and it was fully booked so they have to be doing something right.

The hotel is very closed to cataract gorge and about a 10-15 minute walk to town.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kate R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Quaint looking building with lots of character from the outside. Rooms were adequate although they were not soundproof. Close proximity to beautiful Cataract Gorge and easy walk to CBD and restaurants. Suited our needs for an overnight stay.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Beautiful Old World Heriatage Building. Great, friendly service. Fantastic value for money. Room was spacious, it had 2 singles & a double bed. Great location, I was able to take a walk into the heart of Launceston & peruse shops & cafes. It is also 5 minutes walk from the beautiful Cataract Gorge which is an essential place to visit while in this lovely city. I couldn't fault it. Will definately stay there again. It's affordable enough to be able to spend a few extra days in the city, especially for 3 of us.

Room Tip: We stayed above reception and this was good accessability for our 80yr old mum. Not too many steps.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Firstly, this hotel has wow factor with the charming rooms and the windmill and waterwheel etc. No doubts about it. Unfortunately I think I have had the worst experience out of the reviewers I've seen here. I got the room above the restaurant which had outdoor speakers so the music was coming right into my room even when I closed the windows. Also I had the joy of the milk delivery at 4am stopping outside my window. This hotel has removed toiletries from the bathroom so you only get the pump things on the wall. This is fine except when the staff don't check them and you run out of "shower gel" halfway through. Told staff at reception, not bothered.
Breakfast at the restaurant was a farce. I ordered eggs benedict and a coffee. The food came fairly quickly, the only disappointment was that the eggs were sat on supermarket white bread toast when on the menu they have lovely sourdough available. Why not use that? Also the coffee took 25 mins, so I was already finished breakfast and just waited for my coffee to come.
So I won't be going back. Maybe I just was never meant to go there as it seems everyone else has a great time.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank MichaelSkarn
Perth, Australia
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Unfortunately the apartment we had was right on the main road and also had a busy bridge in front of us which was very noisy , if you happen to book an apartment at Penny Royal ask for one on the back of the complex , you won't have the traffic noise and the bright as bright lights coming in your window , even the blind didn't prevent this .
There was no air conditioning only an old fan which I would think would not be sufficient in warm weather , yes even Launceston can get warm .

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

Excellent historic hotel with a quaint style.
Rooms are spacious and very comfortable.
Beautiful stonework walls and a lovey old waterwheel feature in the courtyard.
Perfect location closes city centre. Easy walking distance to the river gorge.
Excellent value for money

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Manila
Reviewed May 6, 2013

I joined a group tour in Tasmania early April 2013, and for the night we were in Launceston, we were booked at this hotel. I immediately fell in love with the theme, medieval-type rooms and doors, and the names on the room doors were so cute! Too bad we had to pack up the next morning and move on to our next hotel. I'd think this was my favorite among the 5 accommodations we stayed in.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family