“Great views and room. Ordinary breakfast.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Waratah on York

Waratah on York
Ranked #23 of 30 Hotels in Launceston
“Great views and room. Ordinary breakfast.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2011

We stayed here on new years eve 2010. We were pleasantly surprised by our large Victorian style room and great views. Downside was the included cooked breakfast. My partner and I both Asked for poached eggs which was a hard boiled egg with some overcooked bacon.

• Stayed December 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2010

Stayed at Waratah for 3 nights with my Wife, I can't agree some of the nagative comments. The hotel location is great,our room was very comfortable with good heating breakfast was delicious. We would like to come back and highly recomment.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Gold Coast
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2010

Totally unsuited to anyone with the least handicap and management rather rude when asked re possibility of partial refund of extremely high prepaid rate. Demanded key be returned before paid for time was up. A VERY hard bed, cold room, no phone and poor TV reception. First requested heater blew up and second was insufficient for the one hour I stayed, two nights paid for.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank ozfrog

Travelers are raving about these Launceston hotels

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2010

My husband and I enjoyed a lovely stay at the Waratah. Our host was friendly and helpful, our room was warm and comfortable. Breakfast was simple but tasty and plentiful. Our stay was quiet and undisturbed. The Waratah has a charming old fashioned style with a touch of modern conveniences. We would be happy to stay again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2010

I have to agree with the review below - the current owners should seek another career outside of hospitality because their customer service is shocking.

My husband and I booked the Honeymoon suite in March 2009 for our March 2010 wedding night. At this stage it was still being run by the previous owner and there was only one honeymoon suite (the King Honeymoon suite - very luxurious, romantic and spacious - what we needed for 7 people to dress and get ready for a wedding in) We went to the hotel to view the room before booking and confirmed with the manager (twice via email) that was the room we would be booked into. A couple of weeks before our booking date I checked out the website to confirm the address and noticed they were advertising two honeymoon suites, with one of the Executive Suites being renamed a Deluxe Honeymoon Suite.

As I was shown to our room on the morning of our wedding day I was shocked to find they had moved us to the so called new Deluxe Honeymoon suite which was a shabby 2 -3 star motel room and not the 5 star Honeymoon suite we had booked. I told the owner that this was the wrong room and was advised that the previous owner had put us down for this room and they could not change it as there was another bride in the other honeymoon suite. I advised this was incorrect as there was only one honeymoon suite when I made the booking and I had email confirmation from the previous owner that I was booked into that room. She refused to swap the rooms and said she would bring us free champagne and chocolates the following day to make up for the mistake. I had no choice but to take that room as our photographer and make up artist had been booked to come to this hotel to get us ready and I didn't have time to arrange another hotel on the day of my wedding. I then had to squeeze myself, my maid of honour, my father, aunt, grandmother, make up artist and photographer into this tiny room half the size of the one we had booked for us to get ready in.

The window didn't open as it was jammed somehow, there were extension cords running across the floor all over the room for the lamps and electric blankets (that didn't work) and the room was basically of a lot lower standard than the one we had booked and paid for - certainly not the romantic room we wanted for our wedding night. The owner then had the cheek to charge us the full rate for the King Honeymoon suite even though we were in a shabby room worth half the price. My husband had to negotiate with them 4 times before they agreed to refund us the difference in their advertised price between the two rooms and refused to give us a discount for their error - instead they kept blaming it on the previous owner.

To top things off, the girl on reception when we arrived told my aunt that the couple who had gotten the room we were meant to be in had only made their booking 2 weeks prior. I would have thought that if they had the Honeymoon suite booked a year in advance and had a request 11 months later for another booking that they would advise that person that unfortunately the room was already booked and offer them another room. Instead they gave the Honeymoon suite that we had booked a year ahead to someone who requested the booking 11 and a half months later and "made up" a second honeymoon suite by renaming a lower standard room so that they could take the money for 2 honeymoon suite bookings instead of one. That along with the rigmarole we had to go through before they agreed to charge us the rate for the room we got stuck with instead of the room we booked made the current owner out to be greedy and lacking in customer service skills. The champagne and chocolates that we were promised "to make up for it" never eventuated either and we left very unhappy. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone and will not be staying there again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Newlywed2010_10
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2010

On arrival we pulled up to a lovely old building in a great location over looking the launceston and the river but that is where the good points stop. Upon entering reception we were rudely pointed in the direction of the appartment my partner and I were sharing with family. We entered a lovely set of high ceiling rooms with nice views from bedrooms, which is a very sad point as the place has so much potential. On closer inspection, the beds lacked electric blankets, spare blankets and felt like you were lying on a stone slab and in the entire appartment the only heating came from a tiny oil heater in the lounge room. Ridiculous for a old hotel in tasmania, in the middle of winter. In response to the lack of heaters we were given a few blankets. We froze that night while trying to relax in the lounge. The "self-contained" appartment kitchen contained a few wine glasses, 4 cup and saucers, a few plates, no normal drinking glasses, no cooking utensils and no cleaning equipment. (This must mean self contained for those who take pots and pans with them on holiday). In response to this "is no self container". At midnight, I shut the hallway door, to find myself locked in bathroom/stairwell. It took us an hour to getting anyone to fix the door. The following day we were brought 3 heaters that would struggle to dry your hair and were charged for a 7th person when our original 6th person didnt end up coming on the trip. Also pick a theme with furniture and decore and stick to it.
Our lovely family trip was tainted and I do not reccomend Waratah On York to anyone and the current owner should consider a different occupation to hospitality.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank herby23
BURNE
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2010

My husband and I stayed for 2 night at Waratah,the room was very clane with the tamma revier and city view,the staff are friendy and helfull, We will back again. Thanks.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple