“Acceptable if you get a good rate. Rather Dated.”

Hotel Grand Chancellor Launceston
Ranked #12 of 30 Hotels in Launceston
Reviewed April 22, 2010

Stayed for one night with colleagues as part of a business trip.

I'd describe this hotel as 'acceptable but nothing more. My biggest gripe was there was no inbuilt airconditioning. Being summer it was actually quite hot and the room had a portable air conditioner that was very noisy and the airflow didn't reach the bed. In the room was an old pedestal fan that I ended up resorting to - but the cage was bent out of shape so it made an horrific vibrating sound so i had to take it apart to stop the noise. A big hassle at 1:00am when all I wanted to do was sleep.

Bed was comfortable. Plenty of space in the room. Bathroom was clean but very dated.

We had breakfast in the hotel restaurant. Was quite good. Downstairs bar was also pretty nice.

Overall the hotel seemed to be striving for a sense of luxury, which it might have in it's heyday, but it's well beyond that now. I'd much rather stay in one of the newer places Launceston has to offer unless I got a very good rate at the Grand Chancellor.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Hotel Grand Chancellor Launceston

Reviewed January 31, 2010

We booked this hotel before reading some of the reviews and I have to admit by the time we checked in I was fearing the worst. On the contrary, the hotel was good value at $90 per night. Our room and bedding were comfortable, bathroom clean and well ventilated with good water pressure and plenty of towels. The previous reviewer's comments about the cost of room service and hotel restaurants could apply to any hotel. Hotels make their money from these extra services and charge through the nose accordingly. Unless you have money to burn, eat out.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank petermck
Reviewed January 23, 2010

This hotel reminded me why I dislike staying at hotels in my home state.
But out of convenience, I did, and it was the cheapest in town at the time. I think the 4.5 star rating has got the hotel a bit excited and thinks it can charge exorbitant prices for everything. It might be the same elsewhere, but in Tassie I find it an insult to the Tassie people! $4-5 to get food to your door. $28 for 24 hours of internet. Funny prices for laundry, mini fridge contents, parking and more were also good. Struggle to get a feed for less than $30 in the hotel. The room was old, dull and so hot and stuffy. The window only opened 10cm. We had the A/C on until 4am and it did nothing.
But, that's what happens!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
An Agoda Traveler
Reviewed January 10, 2010

• Stayed: January 2010
Reviewed December 22, 2009

We found this hotel to be a huge disappointment. It looks nice enough from the exterior, and the lobby is extremely deceiving.

Our room was extremely dated. The bed was terrible, the bathroom looks like it hasn't changed since the 80's - all plastic and peach. And the staff we had contact with were rude and unhelpful.

I'm not sure if there are renovations being done, but our room basically needed to be completely gutted.

As honeymooners we were extremely disappointed, and chose not to extend our stay which we had originally intended on doing.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SomerLoving
Reviewed November 18, 2009

I will never go there again and I have also been told that it is bad after we were there. It tries to look 4.5 star on the outside but the rooms & corridors inside are an embarrassment! Room service menu was very limited considering the great variety of local produce. Chips we ordered were soggy, rubbery wedges not chips. The tv made a buzzing noise, TV was dated, the whole room was dated with a noisy portable airconditioner in the window. It was still cold for October and there was no heating!!!! Parking - was a vacant lot next door that you had to pay and was tiny and a lot of the parks were reserved. We had to wait 30mins for someone not staying at the hotel to leave the carpark so we could get a spot. We went into the reception to ask where can we park as there was no parks? the girl said the hotel doesn't own the carpark but they have an agreement with owners to allow us to park there! I am amazed that they built this large hotel and not put a carpark! The next day we drove to Hobart and we were staying at the Hotel Grand Chancellor in Hobart. Naturally I was worried we would experience crap rooms/service again BUT it was the complete opposite! Highly recommend the Hobart hotel, NOT the Launceston - Just pull it down!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ginkitty
Reviewed November 2, 2009

We stayed here for one night and found the room tidy but a little tired for a 4.5 star establishment. The double bed was so hard I thought at one stage of getting out and sleeping on the floor. The whole stay was spoilt by the bed which was completely unsatisfactory. It was low and of a very poor quality. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to any of my friends.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple