“Hotel Accomodation Ok Food Terrible!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Grand Chancellor Launceston

Hotel Grand Chancellor Launceston
Ranked #12 of 30 Hotels in Launceston
Sydney, Australia
“Hotel Accomodation Ok Food Terrible!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2012

Our stay at Hotel Grand Chancellor Launceston was okay. There is a portable air conditioner in the room and no central air con. Service at reception was mixed. When we checked in, the gentleman at the service desk was very disinterested, checkout the lady was fantastic. There was no porter to assist with the luggages and the back entrance had no ramps. It was a bit of a struggle for my partner to manage the luggages on his own as I was busy with my 2 year old. The food at the restaurant was disgusting!! I highly recommend not to eat there. Steak felt like it has been previously cooked and then recooked. The potatoes in the potato bake was half cooked and the mussels in the spaghetti marinara was smelly! Very disappointing when Tasmania's mussels are usually outstanding! I emailed the General Manager and advised the above but his investigations were very appalling. To cut a story short, staff lied to protect themselves and the general manager naturally dismissed the case. We booked to stay at the same hotel at Hobart but because of the bad experience we had at Launceston, we cancelled. I certaintly would not return and would not recommend anyone staying here. If you are, do not expect much when you get there.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
GM-HGCL, General Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Launceston, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Greetings S L.....on behalf of the team here at Hotel Grand Chancellor Launceston please accept my sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations on your recent stay with us.....I do take your comments seriously and if my correspondence relating to your complaint has given you a different impression I genuinely apologize.....

When I first received you feedback, I did speak with our food & beverage attendant on duty, the food & beverage manager and the chef on duty on the night you dined in our restaurant.....first, I would like to sincerely apologize for not meeting your expectations.....we are committed to ensuring the service we provide and the product we serve meet the expectations of each and every one of our hotel guests.....

Unfortunately, Hotel Grand Chancellor Launceston does not have a concierge team that are readily on hand to assist our guests with luggage.....we do of course have reception staff who are available to assist any guests that requires help......we do try and "observe" guests who may require assistance and offer accordingly, but for the most part we do rely on guests asking for help..... I've raised your comments with the front office team to ensure we pay more attention to guest's needs that are in the similar situation to yourself.....

it would appear that there has been a significant misunderstanding in our service delivery.....In respect the meal in the restaurant, I am considerably troubled by your comments that the food was extremely revolting.....we genuinely don't get negative feedback like that about our meals in the avenue restaurant.....so I am quite shocked and so is the executive chef..... it is always our position that if a guest is unhappy with the meal during the service, we do what we can to replace the meal to the guests satisfaction......as part of our sequence of service we check
with each guest during the consumption of that meal if everything is ok.....The feedback I have received is that the attendant did this on this occasion and was of the view that everything was ok.....I understand that it was at the time you settled your account that you raised issues about the quality of food..... sometimes, we can assess if there is a problem by the quantity of food left over on plates, but the attendant has told me that on this occasion there was no indication or any concerns.....the F&B attendant assures me she offered you to speak with the food & beverage manager immediately...... our F&B manager was on duty that night and could have had a discussion with you..... but I understand you declined this offer..... therefore, we were not of the view that this was going to be addressed the following day, so there must have been some misunderstanding in relation to this point.....that is why no mention was made the following day when you checked out.....it wouldn't be our normal practice for the chef to come out and speak to guests about the quality of the food......we empower our front line staff and department managers to resolve any/all complaints at the time.....

I would also like to apologize for the length of time it took to receive your food..... I am aware that we agreed to prepare diane sauce specifically for you and we addressed several question you had in relation to weights and fat contents of the steak and spaghetti marinara, but this shouldn't have delayed the time it took to receive your meals..... an order for a well done
steak can take a bit of time to prepare but I understand you requested medium/medium-well.....

It is disappointing to hear that your experience in the restaurant ruined your stay and once again, on behalf of the team here at the Hotel Grand Chancellor Launceston, please accept my sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations.....

If you chose to travel to Launceston again in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me direct so that I can make sure we look after you to "meet and exceed" your expectations.....

I'm glad to read that you had an enjoyable experience in Cradle Mountain and even got some snow while you were there.....it is a truly spectacular part of Tasmania..... I can see why you'd want to stay an extra day rather than head to Hobart....

Warmest regards
Glenn Robertson | General Manager
Hotel Grand Chancellor Launceston

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Darwin, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012

I agree with others about the decor and lack of refurbishment in some rooms however I have stayed in a lot worse. Some of the rooms have been tidied up. Friendly staff and a good location certainly help.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RossnAnne
Greetings RossnAnne…..

On behalf of the team here at the Hotel Grand Chancellor Launceston, I would like thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us…..

It is pleasing to hear you found our staff friendly and you enjoyed the location of our Hotel…..we think we are ideally situated to take in all that Launceston has to offer, whether people are travelling on leisure or business…..it’s all within easy walking distance of the Hotel…..

Canberra, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

11 years ago, my husband and I stayed here and had our wedding reception here. At the time it was known as the Launceston International and prior to that, it was a Novotel. At that time, it was the nicest hotel in Launceston. I have not stepped foot inside the hotel for 11 years. Imagine my surprise then to discover when booked to stay here for a work trip that it looks exactly the same as it did 11 years ago. If any modernisation works have been carried out, they are not apparent in the common areas or in the room in which I am now writing from. All the old-fashioned and tacky touches are here including floral tapestry couch and gold tapware in the bathroom. The worst thing is that even these features look very worn and very tired. Tiles in the bathroom are cracked and the "gold" has worn off the tapware. The carpet is torn and stained, both in the hallway and in the room. Lights in the room do not work. The air-conditioning is via a noisy portable unit which takes up one of the precious few power points. The desk at which I am writing is tiny and not practical for doing any work at. It really is a terrible pity that more money was not spent to modernise the hotel and take it into the 21st Century. If you love faux-Victorian style and 80s gold tapware, this is the place for you. If on the other hand you would like a hotel with more character, style and modern conveniences, run, don't walk elsewhere. My tip is to try the Clarion - that hotel has at least been modernised somewhat.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank rldot1
GM-HGCL, General Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Launceston, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Greetings rldot1…..

First, I would like to apologize for the maintenance issues you raised…..there is no excuse for lights not working, torn carpet or cracked tiles…..whilst I acknowledge that the Hotel is showing its age in some places, we can control the maintenance and cleanliness of our rooms and should have done better in this regard…..

The refurbishment program of our guest rooms which is currently underway addresses many of the issues you’ve raised….. all the fixtures and fittings have been replaced in the bathroom, all the lighting has been replaced and we now have floor to ceiling tiles throughout the bathroom…..in the bedroom we have replace the beds, the bedding, the curtains, all guest room furniture, all fixtures and fittings…..this is combined with a repaint of all walls and ceilings…..the new executive work desk is larger and we have installed power points at desk height…..we’ve extended the refurbishment into the corridor and replaced the lighting, repainted all the walls and ceiling and replaced the carpet…..at this stage we have completed the refurbishment on level 3, 4 and 5…..we’ll do level 6 next, then move down to level 2 and level 1…..

It looks like you are a regular visitor to Launceston; having stayed at other properties…..on your next visit I would welcome the opportunity to meet with you and show you our refurbished guest rooms…..please feel free to contact me direct.....

gm@hgclaunceston.com.au

Travelers are raving about these Launceston hotels

Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

Not much to say about this hotel unfortunately; I only used it as a brief stay after arriving into Launceston Airport one evening and left by 10am the next day. The room was very spacious and clean and well laid out. The staff were all helpful and friendly, and the room service pizzas we ordered were delivered relatively quickly and were great.
Big bonus for this hotel, especially for travellers like myself arriving quite late, is that there is an Avis Car Hire desk in the lobby, and the chap on the desk that morning was very helpful and friendly (we also got a car upgrade :-) ). Having this desk was one of the main deciding points in the hotel's favour when we chose it.
Location wise it seems to be very well sited fairly close to the city centre, with plenty of shops and restaurants nearby. On the Saturday morning that we left, there was a market being held opposite the hotel main entrance. This place would definitely be on my shortlist for places to stay in Launceston.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Chileman
Greetings Chileman…..

I am pleased that we met your expectations on what was a short overnight stay with us…..it is great to hear that our team members were helpful and friendly and you enjoyed the room service pizzas!

I’ve passed on your kind comments to Paul who is the AVIS franchisee based here in the lobby of Hotel…..i think you’ve made his day!

The Harvest Market you are referring to has been operating each Saturday morning for 12 months now in the council car park directly opposite the Hotel…..the quality of the produce is second to none and having the ability to interact with either the primary producer such as the apple grower or cheese maker is a real treat…..i personally shop there each week myself…..

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel when next you choose to visit Launceston…..

Rosebery, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

Stayed there a few times. It's ok, staff is friendly & helpful. Brekky is usually good, smorgasboard, but there's no atmosphere to speak of. Rooms are very nicely furnished. Heaps of hallway & lift traffic though. Most other guests seem to be business people with little time to enjoy their stay. You pay for the convenience of being located near the CBD.

Room Tip: Ask for a room well away from the lift