“Special Treatment”

Ranked #7 of 30 Hotels in Launceston
Wynyard, Australia
“Special Treatment”
Reviewed January 10, 2014

Special treatment at the end of a big day. We had visited Wineglass Bay and walked 11km. When we arrived at The Colonial we were greeted with people who wanted to make our time special, they even upgraded us to their Penthouse. The Penthouse was amazing. It is a new room which is very inviting and we had a great sleep and spa. I loved the Marilyn Monroe it was a great touch. We will certainly be staying there again.

Room Tip: Penthouse has everything you could need.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

This is a Beautiful, old style place full of character and charm, both the place and the staff. From the school kid names carved into the wood paneling to the delightful gardens, the service, food and overall ambience, this place will have you wanting to return. The rooms are pleasant clean and appropriate for its age. We loved it and will no doubt return.
P & J. From Melbourne.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Paul L
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Love love Launceston, found the hotel easily with plenty of space to park. The room was on the third level so carrying our bags up was difficult as there are no lifts and only stairs, the bathroom was interesting with the toilet up against the shower and the toilet paper roll being on the opposite wall, quite a stretch, the rest of the room was pretty good though

Location was great walking distance to most attractions, restaurant good but $$, paid a lot each night and breakfast and internet was extra, which added up!

Room Tip: If you don't like stairs ask for a room on the ground floor
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I wanted time alone to bring in the new year as 2013 had some pretty tough emotional times. Quality Hotel Colonial Launceston seemed to tick all the boxes when I looked online and I certainly was not disappointed! Only a few blocks to stroll to the CBD and good public transport access this also was one of my reasons for booking here. Walking through the door at reception to check in I was instantly impressed with the friendly, efficient staff and they were more obliging than any other hotel/motel staff in previous Launceston stays. I was very grateful of an early 1pm check in and late 11.30am check out as I had travelled by coach from Hobart. Walking through the archway and upstairs along the corridor I was so looking forward to 2 wonderful days/nights of just unwinding and when I opened the door to my Business King room I knew this was a definite. Spacious room, great lighting, amazing king bed and the best 2 nights sleep I have enjoyed for a long time. A bathroom with great shower that was the length of the room, great water pressure and really hot water :D How many times do you travel and there is no pressure and the water temp takes ages to get just right? Lovely waffle robes to curl up in on the oh so comfy bed while watching the complimentary movie channels made for a lovely New Years afternoon while the rain tumbled down outside. A well stocked mini bar, tea and coffee making facilities (and my favourite Dilmah tea). Free WIFI was an added bonus of my stay and greatly appreciated as it was $10 per day in some rooms. This gave me a chance to "Like" the hotel on their facebook page and return the best wishes of the staff for the coming year. The Q&C Brasserie was a wonderful heritage style restaurant to enjoy a buffet breakfast in. Nothing I enjoy more than sitting down to a meal that has been set correctly with fresh cloths and smudge free cutlery. The buffet was extensive, hot and fresh and once again upon arrival I was greeted by a friendly face and efficient service. The ambience of this room was relaxing and a great way to begin a day that would see me travelling back to Hobart early afternoon. I could not recommend a stay here more highly than the one I have just enjoyed with Quality Hotel Colonial Launceston and certainly this will be my choice when I next travel North. Thanks again to all the staff, especially Carissa for her exceptional customer service during my stay.

Room Tip: My room was near the end of the corridor with minimal through traffic. Being New Year it was quiet w...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Warwick, Australia
Reviewed December 18, 2013

We felt welcome .The staff are friendly , and the rooms clean !!! We stayed twice 0n our trip "Family rooms are spacious"...The Three Steps restaurant with hearty home style meals and an emotional trip back in time with the Convict Wall in pristine condition, all within the complex ....
:) Kim Mark and Kerry

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed December 9, 2013

I have recently stayed here with my mum for some shopping and fine dining in Launceston. We stayed in a twin room with a bath. The gardens were beautiful and our room was spacious, quiet and immaculately clean!! Our full English Breakfast was perfectly cooked (poached eggs and all) and went down well with a nice cup of tea. Adele and all the other staff at the Hotel were polite and accommodating. The Breakfast Chef was really kind to his guests and spoke very politely to his waitress. We enjoyed the short walk to the shops and lovely bubble baths on our return. Our room also included 5 free movies!!! (for some added girl time). It's the little things that makes the Quality Hotel Colonial Launceston THE place to stay in Launceston!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Brianna O
Reviewed December 8, 2013

I have stayed here twice for work. Once in the Exec Queen Room, and once in a Std Queen Room. I will try to add photos of both rooms shortly.
The hotel is by no means new, but the rooms are quite comfortable with modern conveniences.
My exec room was large, had free internet and breakfast. The bathroom was new and very nice. There was loads of benchspace for my numerous toiletries/makeup, and was well planned for the traveller in layout. I was really pleased with the room. I like to see a clock radio, lights by the bed, adequate lighting, and my favourite - little biscuits to have my cup of tea. The tea was also Dilmah, not cheap caterer's blend. Extra blankets and pillows in the cupboards too, and room to put your stuff.
The Std room was still all of the above but smaller, no breakfast included or internet.
The breakfast is good - lots of variety, and there is some kind of home made muesli with proper honey stirred in, which is to die for.
It is right opposite St V's hospital, so if you're working there, you only have to cross the road.
There is also a nearby Coles. The main shopping area is also just a short walk. You can walk to Cataract Gorge also, but it's about 30 mins one way, however well worth it.
I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business