“Historic Launceston personified”

Ranked #7 of 30 Hotels in Launceston
Pondicherry, India
“Historic Launceston personified”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

We stayed twice over Easter at the Colonial - both for a night on arrival to Launceston and again after touring the east coast during the Easter week.. The location was perfect... the hotel arranged pick up by taxi from the airport which was on time. Our accommodation was comfortable, quiet and thoroughly enjoyable. The hotel not only offers a warm and friendly English style bar where we enjoyed a pre dinner drink, but also a wide range of meals. Our son, who lives in Launceston and who is a member of the Army Reserves was the reason for our visit. The hotel afforded a perfect meeting spot due to its central location. We could walk to everything including some nice coffee shops in nearby Charles street. We travel to see our son from time to time, and would not hesitate recommending this as the place to stay when coming to Launceston. We will certainly be staying there again.

Room Tip: We loved the end room with balcony of the building facing reception
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

I travel quite frequently across Tasmania for work, at least once per month. I have tried a variety of different accomadation, trying to find that one place that ticks all the boxes, well I'm fairly happy to say that I've found it! I stayed in a King Room with a Balcony, the room was modern, clean, spacious and most of all sunny. Whilst away I look forward to relaxing come the end of the day, eating a great meal and having a glass of wine - the room service menu is the absolute BEST I've seen anywhere! So much variety that I could not decide what to have, lucky I was there 3 nights and got to explore the menu! I highly recommend the Snapper :)
To end such a great, comfortable and enjoyable stay the morning I checked out I was greeted by a Sales Assistant and the Owner with great big smiles and enthusiasm saying Good Morning and asking how my stay was - this already had jerked me into gear and woken me up, what a lovely suprise to be greeted like this so early in the morning!
The customer service was Impressive, great customer service is hard to come by - its safe to say that I will be back!!
That day I walked away with a huge smile on my face, what a perfect start to my day :)
Well done Team Colonial :)

Room Tip: The Balcony rooms are perfect - sunny and spacious
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Perth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

We spent 2 nights here, with no complaints

Character hotel with history, which i love, well worth reading what this place has been through

The staff are very friendly and helpful, the rooms are clean, well maintained, and have everything you would expect from a hotel

We had dinner at the hotel 1 night and found it to be of high quality

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Hobart, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

We stayed in the Loft Studio Spa Apartment and was really impressed with the renovations and the standard of the room. Clever use of space and modern design greets you once you step inside the room, however the icing on the cake is the gorgeous bathroom! The spa is luxurious and the rain shower is divine! The customer service was spot on, all staff were friendly and welcoming.I would be extremely happy to stay at the Colonial Launceston again!

Room Tip: The Spa Loft Studio Apartment is luxurious and private
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

We stayed at the Colonial Hotel over the Easter long weekend and I must say that I was really impressed with the location and service provided.

The reception staff Marissa & Connie were really customer focused and willing to go out of their way to assist in every way possible.

The family room we stayed in was perfect and we couldn't ask for more.... Great value for money.

Room service from the in house restaurant Three steps on George was fantastic.... and surprisingly quick & delicious.

Dale, the owner and manager is very passionate about his hotel and about providing the best for his customers and I would like to wish him & his staff all the very best.

Needless to say, I will be staying here when I visit Launceston again.

• Stayed March 2013
Derby
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

I stayed here recently in a deluxe queen/twin room. I was a little disappointed, in that I expected a little more from the accommodations. I must stress, however, that this particular room was the least expensive in the hotel, so expectations can't be too high. There were a number of issues I had in that there were absolutely no facilities to heat up any food or snacks, i.e. no microwave, no plates, bowls, cutlery etc. There was no hand soap in the bathroom, just a soap/shampoo and conditioner dispenser above the bath/shower. The toilet was very cramped. Cleaning was a little slack, with cobwebs, complete with their inhabitant spiders evident in the corner of the wall and wardrobe. The bed was very comfortable, and the room was reasonably quiet for a ground floor room, with only minimal noise from above. Room service was available, as was internet etc, all at extra charges. There is a restaurant attached to the premises. I did get the room for less than the advertised price, due to circumstances I won't mention here, but I still feel that my issues should be addressed. Spiders and cobwebs in ANY accommodatioons these days is unacceptable. I would recommend the Colonial, it is very centrally located, just don't expect to be able to heat any food or indeed have the crockery and cutlery to do so, and take your own soap.

Room Tip: Having not seen the more expensive rooms, it may be wise to check the room out before you hand over...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

We stayed in this charming hotel filled with character and history. The staff were very friendly and helpful. We had a meal in the Three Steps Restuarant & Bar and breakfast the next morning was in the QC Brasserie Breakfast Room. My sister commended Dale on the fresh honey dripping from the honeycomb and the perfectly cooked poached eggs. Rooms are clean and comfortable. Close to everything Launceston has to offer. Will stay here again and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family