“Friendly and great value, short walk to CBD”
Review of The Old Bakery Inn

The Old Bakery Inn
Ranked #15 of 30 Hotels in Launceston
Sydney
“Friendly and great value, short walk to CBD”
Reviewed September 16, 2011

The Old Baker Inn was selected for its very affordable price (booked online through wotif) and very handy location close to the heart of Launceston city but with offstreet parking and a short walk to Seaport and river areas of the city.
The building dates back 100 years but sensitive refurbishment has seen it present very well in terms of excellent en suite bathroom and heating and other comforts. There are ground floor access rooms where mobility might be an issue but we stayed on the first floor above the street at a busy intersection and heard little traffic noise due to double glazing. Breakfast was continental and cost $12.50 but there are cafes in the vicinity which serve breakfast as well.
The host was very welcoming and helpful and provided fresh milk for tea and coffee making (in room) on arrival. The reception is open from 7 am to 9 pm and provides good tourist information.
I don't think there was internet access or at least no information about such access was in the compendium.
We found our room very nicely presented and clean and overall it was a good stay in the beautiful city of Launceston.

Room Tip: If you do not like stairs, request a ground floor room.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Foreignforays

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed April 29, 2011

Booked into the best room but it was cluttered and the leather lounges battered and faded. Walls paper thin so we listened all night to a radio left on somewhere else in building. People running this place are clearly not happy working with the public and would be better suited to a funeral home. Seriously! Spend your money elsewhere for far better quality accommodation in Launceston.

Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank giraffe16
Tassie
Reviewed February 6, 2011

After I made a cut-price booking at $85 a night I read the reviews and was worried. But there was no need to be. We had a downstairs room and the room, the linen and the towels looked and smelt absolutely fresh and clean. The room was small but had everything required. It was not noisy and as has been mentioned in other reviews conveniently located.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Liere
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed November 23, 2010

I have stayed in some shockers, and never felt the need to write a review. This one was different. This one made me feel the need to warn others. The rooms are average at best. Unclean beds, terrible shower - but that has nothing on the service. What I imagine to be the owner was rude and arrogant. He walked into my room to 'check the mini bar' at 11pm one night without so much as a knock at one point! Reading the other reviews I can see this is not a one off. Stay well clear!!!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
4 Thank boznut_87
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed November 15, 2010

The hotel looks fine from the pictures they have on their web site.

However when you get inside the facilities I found the owners to be very rude. And the first thing I noticed was a strange smell and the bed sheets and the hand towels to be unclean.

From my observations the male owner seemed to follow and observe female guests in a most uncomfortable manner. For this reason alone I would not recommend guests to this establishment.

I was also asked to pay a surcharge of $25 for paying my bill the evening before departure. I found this most unusual business practice. However I was more than happy to pay this fee and learn never to stay at the Old Bakery Inn again.

This was our only negative of an otherwise great time in Launceston.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
6 Thank SeasonedTraveler1983
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 31, 2010

We travelled to Launceston for a couple of days and chose this property as it was recommended by friends of ours. We found the staff really friendly and they pointed out a lot of interesting things to do around the area.
I most liked the convenience of being so close to the city and to the Cataract Gorge (both easy walking distance!).
There was slight traffic noise during the peak traffic times but I didn't find this too disturbing.
The room we stayed in was small but this was expected and I loved the quaint feel of the rooms and the property in general.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Yellowroselady
Melbourne
Reviewed June 2, 2010

As soon as we arrived we were made feel like second class citizens because we chose to stay in the 'budget' $130- a night room. I did not feel comfortable there and wanted to leave before we had even unpacked the car. When we left all we got was a "this is your key?" when we took our room key back. We were definitely NOT made feel welcome and I would never ever go back. I have traveled a lot and never found such rude service.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family