“Pleasant surprise”

Ranked #6 of 30 Hotels in Launceston
Western Australia
“Pleasant surprise”
Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

We made Balmoral our first stay in Tasmania. Chose it because of the ratings on TripAdvisor and the convenience of location in town. We certainly were not disappointed.

A comfortable hotel with all the facilities you need. Off street parking for the car, great food at realistic prices.

The staff were helpful and friendly at all times.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Bruce D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

We recently stayed at the Balmoral overnight. We were presently surprised at the neat tidy modern room. It was a cold night and the heat pump warmed the room perfectly. Our room was at the back of the building and very quiet. The check out staff was a lovely accommodating man. Will defiantly stay again!

• Stayed September 2013
Sydney
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Stayed a few nights as a base to do day trips around northern Tasmania. Older style hotel overlooking Launceston with very friendly and helpful staff. Comfortable bed. Windows open allowing natural airflow which seems rare these days. Very nice to come back to after a day exploring. Good value.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
alex hills Australia
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Hi guys, my husband and i stayed for just the one night on Monday 2nd September 2013..
We were very impressed firstly by the cleanliness of the room and the bed was also very comfy as well.. but the best part was the first class service we received from Trevor the next morning...We were the first to come down for breakfast, we were very warmly welcomed by Trevor and told that we could order anything from the menu and it wld be freshly cooked for us.. My husband ordered eggs, bacon, toast, sausages and he was very happy when it arrived a lovely hot breakfast and very delicious too...
I just had the cereal and fruit which was very nice also.. Trevor asked me if i wld like a fresh cup of coffee or tea? I replied that i didnt drink tea or coffee and that i only drink Chai Latte, he then told me he could make me a chai and that he wanted my honest opinion of his chai making skills.. Well, as i am an expert in the Chai field, his effort was fantastic.. it was yummy and sweet just how chai shld be.. he just needed to put cinnamon sugar on top instead of chocolate..

All in all a very pleasant stay with wonderful treatment and Trevor you are a gem.. keep up the great work guys and we will be back one day..

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
George Town, Malaysia
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Cosy & one of the better hotel we stayed in Tasmania. The hotel is well maintained, clean and comfortable. It has good views of the city and centrally located. However, the breakfast that comes with the room booking is just a simple breakfast with limited spread.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank pggenius
Mandurah, Australia
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I recently stayed at the Balmoral on York in Launceston, Tasmania with my two sister's and their husbands and we could not have asked for a better jump start to our Tassie Adventure. The Balmoral in located a short walk from the centre of town, with excellent views over the city towards to river. The rooms were very large and spacious, offering comfort and warmth during winter. The staff were nothing but exceptional and offered all forms of service and advice. The food, especially breakfast was amazing and the personal service offered by the friendly waitress was outstanding. My sister later told me she returned and stayed another night here before flying home to Western Australia and met the Owner/Manager and was treated to the best service again. I would highly recommend the Balmoral on York, Launceston to any and all of my friends and family when visiting Tasmania. Thank you.

Room Tip: Always request a North (City) facing room to enjoy the morning views :-)
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Launceston, Australia
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I stayed almost a week and was pleased with the room and service. The block wall decor is dated, but the furniture and fittings almost new. Very comfortable bed and bedding. Everything was well maintained and very clean. Small touches such as supplying a teapot and a clearly written guide to the entertainment channels added to my comfort. All staff I met were helpful and friendly.
I only ate continental breakfast once and found it pretty ordinary, so I would go for the cooked breakfast, if I stayed again and wanted the convenience of eating at the hotel. There are several cafes in easy walking distance, so plenty of breakfast options elsewhere.
Don't be put off by the outside appearance of the building, my stay was a lot better than I expected and I would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Save money with a Residential View room and hotel special offers for late checkout and cut price bre...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business