“a little disappointing”

and up
Tasmania Sightseeing Pass:3-Day Flexi Card
Ranked #17 of 78 things to do in Launceston
Reviewed November 19, 2013

WE where killing time between check ins and thought we would go for a drive, we stopped at Franklin house and decided to have a wander.
Entry was $10, the lady that greeted was was very friendly and informative however it was very disappointing to know that only 2 rooms in the house where original and that all the furniture etc was not the original but had been put there in the hope that it was what would have been there when the house was built.

3  Thank Sue W

Reviewed November 14, 2013

Despite a surfeit of historic houses during our stay in Tasmania, I felt that Franklin House was well worth the visit.

As a bridge player I found the card table set up with old playing cards was interesting. I hadn't realised that playing cards in the early 1800s were different from the ones we use today.

The house had a very nice feel to it, particularly the upper storey of the house which was a very large single room capable of being closed into smaller spaces by folding doors.

The excellent garden which is maintained by the Australia Garden History Society also had a lovely atmosphere.

Reviewed November 10, 2013

My mother and I were treated like very special guests. We had the volantiers were wnderful and they knew thier history

Reviewed October 12, 2013

Very well presented house. Guide had a lot of knowledge and lent us key to look inside church opposite. I have ancestors who worked there and are buried in church cemetery, so found it very interesting. Easy to find and lovely gardens.

1  Thank Goldenoldies61
Reviewed October 12, 2013

Dropped at this place on our way to Launceston. Was pleasantly surprised with the maintenance of the place. Excellently maintained my volunteers. The lady at the door was very helpful; gave us information about the heritage and history of the place.

1  Thank A L