“Good food- waiting staff offputting”

Suwan Thai Launceston
Ranked #178 of 331 Restaurants in Launceston
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I agree with a couple of other reviews here- the food is very good, and the mains are well-priced (the starters seemed a little expensive for what you got), however, the front of house waiter was very nonchalant, bordering on superior. It felt more like entering a high-end department store than a 'friendly restaurant'. My partner and I were also put off by his high-handed attitude to a young boy who was clearly new- critiquing the way he placed glasses on the table, and moving them a couple of mm in order for them to be 'perfect'. The poor boy shattered a glass in nervousness.

I'm sorry to have to mark it down so much, but restaurants are equally about food and atmosphere, and the atmosphere in here, thanks to that one individual, was very off-putting and unenjoyable. Perhaps if the Suwan Thai replace him, or send him on a customer service/personality course, then we'd visit again.

6  Thank RoadsIdontneedroads

Reviewed September 6, 2012

A little out of town, but great place. Good service and great food. It is a BYO with a bottle shop right next door. Have been several times and will return.

1  Thank malaya2001
Reviewed July 17, 2012

As we live nearby, my family regularly use Suwan for their take away service. restaurant quality food to have in our own house - love it!

2  Thank Jason_King1969
Reviewed July 15, 2012

The food was good but service was astonishingly poor. The front of house greeting was brusk, offhand and mildly intimidating. The trainee waiter was out of his depth. We had to wait an hour for mains and their was only four other tables! When the mains finally arrived, two of the main meals had been left off the order. The waiter admitted the mistake but because we had children with our party we declined to wait another half an hour plus for the missing mains and we cancelled these and shared plates instead. Such a pity because it could have been a great night out. I am not sure that I would risk another visit.

5  Thank DuncanPG
Reviewed July 11, 2012

So damn tasty, best Thai I have ever had. The restraunt itself is a limitless bit pokie but ther service and food make up for it

1  Thank Camo1978