“Unique” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #15 of 70 things to do in Launceston
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Unique”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

Very friendly staff and a peaceful atmosphere. Enjoyed being able to browse the beautiful items in my own relaxed time. Particularly love the lights and chairs on sale. The gallery space is also inviting, inspiring and a beautiful place to just 'be'. And to top it off it backs right onto the City Park with its own particular beauty and sense of calm. Hopefully all tourists and locals find this place.

3 Thank FlickG
RyeDunsmuir, Manager at Design Centre Tasmania, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Thank you for the positive feedback!
We're all very glad your experience was pleasurable and memorable. I trust you found many wonderful places to 'be' in Tasmania and we look forward to welcoming you back any time soon.
Regards,
Rye Dunsmuir

Melbourne, Australia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Good Museum”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

We liked the modern furniture in their museum but the shop was a bit too Harvey Normanish to grab us. Worth a look.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank Kylie M
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Fine”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

The Design Centre must spend a lot of money on advertising in every magazine and brochure in Australia, requiring the larger mark-ups than similar places in the rest of Tasmania. It's nice enough but hasn't changed at all since the last time I visited five years ago - and I suspect that was the last time any of the nic-nacs around the front window were dusted. The larger pieces of furniture were interesting but had clearly been on the shop floor for a long time - the veneers were lifting and there were deep scratches and signs of wear. It was all a bit uninspiring.

The community exhibition space next to the Design Centre has improved over time. Last time I was there the exhibition was freaky stuffed animals that looked like they had been knitted by blind one-handed toddlers - after I had seen the display I understood the embarrassment displayed by the volunteer taking my $5 - but this time the artworks on display were passable.

I wouldn't go out of my way to visit but the Design Centre is a fair way to pass an hour - but not on a pubic holiday.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank Adele D
RyeDunsmuir, General Manager at Design Centre Tasmania, responded to this review, January 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent visit the the Design Tasmania Centre. We aim to offer a wonderful experience and your comments will be used to improve our offer.

The Design Centre spends less than 2% of its revenue on advertising, as a not-for-profit organisation we rely heavily on editorial coverage of our programs and activities to ensure our profile is retained. We do however spend over 30% on developing programs and promotional opportunities for Tasmanian designers both locally and nationally.

The mark-up structure of our retail operation is in-line (often less) with commercial galleries and retailers operating in the sector across Tasmania and Australia.

The furniture in the shop is a range of one off and small scale production work. In the case of production work we keep a sample on the floor for 12-18 months taking orders for the designers all over Tasmania. Then after 1,000's of people have run their hands over them, sat on them or open and closed all the moving bits we sell off the floor at an appropriate price reflecting the condition. Please point me in the direction of the item with the 'veneers lifting' as I'm not aware of this and this shouldn't be the case no matter how old the item.

It's great to hear that you enjoyed the current exhibitions more than the last visit. We offer eight temporary exhibitions a year along with the Tasmanian Wood Design Collection. While these programs aim to deliver different things it will always be a case of some hitting the mark and some maybe pushing too far, too soon.

Yes, we have four days closed a year, being Christmas, Boxing and New Years Day plus Good Friday. All other public holidays are open from 10:00am to either 2:00pm (winter) or 4:00pm (summer) depending on the time of year.

Hopefully you will visit Launceston again at some point and find that the Design Tasmania experience is more to your liking.

Thanks again for taking the time to provide a review of a number of places in Launceston and I hope to hear from you regarding the veneer issue as this must be rectified immediately.
Melbourne, Australia
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Beautiful Tasmanian art & crafts”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2012

I visited the Design Centre twice while I was in Launceston. At the time there was a wonderful exhibition of wooden furniture and sculpture by amazing Tasmanian artisans. The shop has a huge range of furniture, jewellery, glass,art and woodwork at reasonable prices for high quality craft and design. I purchased some lovely jewellery, wood products and a furniture piece. They arranged for shipping to Melbourne which was at a reasonable cost but delivery was a week late which was disappointing as it was a gift. The piece arrived in perfect condition though. I loved this place!

Visited February 2012
2 Thank MMona55
melbourne
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“gorgeous”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2012

Stunning architecture and brilliant wood work. Very modern. Loved the lighting too.

Visited April 2012