“Couldn't fault it!! Amazing!”

Brisbane Street Bistro
Ranked #12 of 316 Restaurants in Launceston
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Phone No +61 (03) 6333 0888
Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

Absolutely fantastic. The steak I had was by far the best I have eaten in Australia. The knife sank through this beautiful piece of meat.
The wine choice was great with something to suit everyone.
Definitely need to go here of your ever in Launceston.

Reviewed May 18, 2013

Our experience with fine dining in Tasmania has always included a high quality menu and service in a relaxed atmosphere and always featuring Tasmanian-sourced products. The Brisbane Street Bistro did not disappoint. Table staff were friendly and very knowledgeable of each dish on the menu, how it was prepared and from which parts of Tasmania the ingredients were sourced. The chef prepared our mains of salmon and lamb to perfection. The wine list is excellent and included Tasmanian and Australian wines as well as a few NZ and international selections. This wasn't our first visit and won't be our last.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I'm not going to go on about the menu or wine, I'm no gastronomic expert and other reviewers have covered that better than I can. We went with the degustation with wine option. The food was great and the wine matching fantastic. We liked the ambiance which seemed to get it just right and not tip into the haughty or slide into the overly casual. Two things cost it an excellent rating from us. The staff and in particular our waiter seemed a bit distracted all evening. He was professional and friendly but there was an air of just going through the motions and it all seemed a bit like a good play when the lead actor is having a slightly off night. The other thing was an interminable delay between the last two courses. All the waiting staff seemed to disappear and we were left without a drink or clue for almost 40 minutes. When the waiter did return there was no explanations and he just served the dessert. It spoilt an otherwise excellent evening. Quite frankly when your spending $300 for a dinner you expect a little better....

Reviewed May 3, 2013

Business dinner - 3 course meal - the pork belly entree was fantastic as was the duck main. Outstanding wine list and so was the desert - staff were fantastic and knew the menu very well

Reviewed April 25, 2013

We wanted to celebrate our 16th wedding anniversary! I hunted for somewhere special and somewhere we had not yet been. I had heard many good reports about the Brisbane Street Bistro. It looked cosy, it looked inviting, it looked intimate, it was ideal for what we wanted! We were not disappointed.

We were welcomed personally by Terry Fidler when we arrived. We were offered a choice of seats and picked a nice "quiet" one in the corner (where we could whisper sweet loving things to each other!!) :-)

The menu, while not extensive offered a good choice of fresh Tasmanian produce. The wine list (while also not extensive) had a good range of local and other wines on it. I did find the wines a little expensive, and that is probably the only negative thing I could say about this place.

My wife and I have very similar tastes and both picked oysters for our entree. We had 3 done Kilpatrick and the other 3 served with a sweet and spicy lime dressing. Delicious!

Now the steak (always my favourite!!) - six week dry-aged prime sirloin steak, served with horseradish butter, steak fries and sauce bordelaise! I don't know what to say. I always thought an eye fillet or scotch fillet was hard to beat. However this steak was absolutely SUPERB and cooked to PERFECTION!! I have never tasted a Sirloin steak that was like this!! The horseradish butter, the sauce bordelaise, and the steak fries - MMMmmm - sorry, I'm salivating. I am a steak lover and I'm sorry to keep raving but this one was THE BEST!! (I'll move on now)

The desserts were also yummy! My wife is the dessert lover but I ordered one for myself as well, seeing it was a special occasion. My wife had the affogato and I had the creme brulee. Both absolutely delicious (well, mine was, I didn't get a taste of my wife's but she reassures me it was very very good)!

Service was superb. There were no bustling waiters, here there were 2 mature aged ladies going about doing their business in a quiet and efficient way.

All in all, thank you so much for an absolutely wonderful experience Terry Fidler!! You've certainly set a benchmark with your Sirloin Steak which I think will be hard to beat.

Would I recommend this to others? Well, I think my review gives you a definite answer. This has got to be one of the best restaurants around!!