“Great food and wine”

Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Phone No +61 (03) 6333 0888
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I'm not going to go on about the menu or wine, I'm no gastronomic expert and other reviewers have covered that better than I can. We went with the degustation with wine option. The food was great and the wine matching fantastic. We liked the ambiance which seemed to get it just right and not tip into the haughty or slide into the overly casual. Two things cost it an excellent rating from us. The staff and in particular our waiter seemed a bit distracted all evening. He was professional and friendly but there was an air of just going through the motions and it all seemed a bit like a good play when the lead actor is having a slightly off night. The other thing was an interminable delay between the last two courses. All the waiting staff seemed to disappear and we were left without a drink or clue for almost 40 minutes. When the waiter did return there was no explanations and he just served the dessert. It spoilt an otherwise excellent evening. Quite frankly when your spending $300 for a dinner you expect a little better....

Reviewed May 3, 2013

Business dinner - 3 course meal - the pork belly entree was fantastic as was the duck main. Outstanding wine list and so was the desert - staff were fantastic and knew the menu very well

Reviewed April 25, 2013

We wanted to celebrate our 16th wedding anniversary! I hunted for somewhere special and somewhere we had not yet been. I had heard many good reports about the Brisbane Street Bistro. It looked cosy, it looked inviting, it looked intimate, it was ideal for what we wanted! We were not disappointed.

We were welcomed personally by Terry Fidler when we arrived. We were offered a choice of seats and picked a nice "quiet" one in the corner (where we could whisper sweet loving things to each other!!) :-)

The menu, while not extensive offered a good choice of fresh Tasmanian produce. The wine list (while also not extensive) had a good range of local and other wines on it. I did find the wines a little expensive, and that is probably the only negative thing I could say about this place.

My wife and I have very similar tastes and both picked oysters for our entree. We had 3 done Kilpatrick and the other 3 served with a sweet and spicy lime dressing. Delicious!

Now the steak (always my favourite!!) - six week dry-aged prime sirloin steak, served with horseradish butter, steak fries and sauce bordelaise! I don't know what to say. I always thought an eye fillet or scotch fillet was hard to beat. However this steak was absolutely SUPERB and cooked to PERFECTION!! I have never tasted a Sirloin steak that was like this!! The horseradish butter, the sauce bordelaise, and the steak fries - MMMmmm - sorry, I'm salivating. I am a steak lover and I'm sorry to keep raving but this one was THE BEST!! (I'll move on now)

The desserts were also yummy! My wife is the dessert lover but I ordered one for myself as well, seeing it was a special occasion. My wife had the affogato and I had the creme brulee. Both absolutely delicious (well, mine was, I didn't get a taste of my wife's but she reassures me it was very very good)!

Service was superb. There were no bustling waiters, here there were 2 mature aged ladies going about doing their business in a quiet and efficient way.

All in all, thank you so much for an absolutely wonderful experience Terry Fidler!! You've certainly set a benchmark with your Sirloin Steak which I think will be hard to beat.

Would I recommend this to others? Well, I think my review gives you a definite answer. This has got to be one of the best restaurants around!!

Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I Decided to have dinner here on Thursday night because of such great feedback from some locals
Boy we are glad we did.
On arrival we were greeted by a friendly smile from our waitress and instantly felt welcome. We were quite impressed with the wine list, it was certainly one of the most extensive we have seen so far whilst visiting Tasmania.
The hardest part of the night was trying to decide what to order knowing that we couldn't have everything.
After ordering we were presented with an amuse bouche of parsnip soup. This was exceptional such a lovely way to start the tasting experience. For entree I ordered flash fried cuttlefish and my husband had the mushroom tart. Both had amazing flavours and we also shared the pork belly between courses as my husband couldn't miss having this. For main course I had the slow cooked rib which just fell of the bone served with a minature dry aged beef fillet and Brussels. My husband had the dry aged beef fillet cooked to perfection. We couldn't make dessert as we were too full.
The food, service and atmosphere were 10 out of 10
All in all we loved it And has become a highlight of our trip.
We will be telling friends about This beautiful restaurant and hope to return again!

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Launceston has always been blessed with good restaurants (maybe the lifestyle and the produce attracts good chefs) and, as the local newspaper's restaurant writer, I found plenty to like over the years. Now retired, I can dine out without having to write about it, but just wanted to add one last recommendation. Terry Fidler has been cooking around Tasmania since the 1980s- after many restaurants he has finally found the right setting at Brisbane Street Bistro in Launceston. Over almost 30 years, Terry has gradually refined his craft, without ever losing his passion for food and wine, and for Tasmania's great produce. It's not the best known restaurant in Launceston, but it deserves to be. The menu is modest, just eight starters and six mains- but the food is remarkable-try the tomato tart, or the extraordinary pork belly in mandarin pancakes, or the fallow venison... Coupled with one of the best wine lists in Tasmania, this is just a great dining experience and highly recommended if you're visiting Launceston.