“Butter chicken to die for!”

AAJ India Cafe & Restaurant
Reserve a Table
Ranked #18 of 364 Restaurants in Launceston
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed April 23, 2019 via mobile

What magnificent service in this charming restaurant. We felt very looked after, And were most pleased to discover that it was BYO. The samosas were extremely tasty including the plum sauce that came with them, the butter chicken was a delight to the taste buds and the lamb spinach curry was also sick and delicious. However it was the service that made tonight so special!

Date of visit: April 2019

Reviewed April 16, 2019

There are many good Indian restaurants in Launceston and this is one of them. The food can't be faulted, the decor is interesting, service is good. The one time we ordered takeaway they were a bit slow, we waited 20 minutes longer than their estimate. Both times we have eaten in the restaurant we enjoyed it very much.

Date of visit: December 2018
Reviewed April 11, 2019

Our second experience of dining at AAJ India was just as good as the first. We shared the vegetarian platter for starter and thought the waitress had made a mistake as there was so much on the plate. We had to doggy bag an onion bharji and one of the two enormous samosas just to allow a bit of room for our main course!
I had a chicken biryani and my husband had lamb and spinach for the main course. Both were superb, the meat was perfectly cooked and the portion sizes were good.
I had a glass of Tasmanian wine, hubby had a couple of beers and all were well priced.
It was a quiet night of the week, so not many others in the restaurant. The service was good, the waitress was attentive and helpful.
Overall, an excellent meal with good service and reasonably priced.

Date of visit: April 2019
Reviewed February 16, 2019

On the reviews, this was one of the best Indian choices in Launceston. Walked in to see Indians eating there - usually a good sign (unless they are family). Started off poorly with sticky tables. Only one waitress for 50-seater restaurant, just as well it was barely half full. Had to ask 3 times for the glass of wine, which finally appeared 20 minutes after we ordered it and one minute before we walked out. Stayed for the rest of the meal, which was as good quality as you can get in Australia, standard size serves, and average sort of price. Staff apologized for the slow service, and compensated with a few complimentary pappadums - well, at least they made the effort. Some effort at ethnic décor, and ethnic music came on late in the evening.

Date of visit: February 2019
Reviewed October 6, 2018 via mobile

My fiancé and I were staying two nights in Launceston and I had a hankering for Indian food. I happened to have an entertainment book for the south of the state but it included some vouchers for the north. AAJ was the Indian option, so after some google reviews I decided I would give it a try - I was not disappointed!!! Although I had take away, I noticed the restaurant was huge when I picked it up. Seating looks very comfortable and I decided I’d have to return for a dine-in sometime.
Service was very polite and the food was delicious. I had butter chicken (they are very generous with their serve of meat), vegetable samosa (full of flavour) and a delicious garlic naan. The smell of spices was quite intoxicating. There was so much food I have left-overs for tomorrow!!! Thank you AAJ - will definitely be back :)

Date of visit: October 2018