“A mood-altering, mind-changing experience...”
Review of Black Cow Bistro

Black Cow Bistro
Ranked #2 of 316 Restaurants in Launceston
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: “Tasmanian Beef Specialist” Located in the historic art deco Luck’s Butchery shop in Launceston, Tasmania, Black Cow showcases grass fed, free range, hormone free, dry aged, premium Tasmanian beef including brands from Cape Grim, Greenhams, Clover Country, King Island and Flinders Island amongst others. Legislation in Tasmania against the use of hormone growth promotants and antibiotics in red meat production combined with Tasmanian graziers’ focus on free-range grass fed cattle produces happy animals and superior quality meat. A flexible pricing structure and side dishes designed around fresh, local produce allow guests to create the dining experience they desire. Also sporting a well-priced wine list with a heavy emphasis on local Tasmanian wines with some full-bodied reds thrown in for good measure. An energetic atmosphere and friendly professional service completes the Black Cow offering. This casual Bistro style has been a hit with the local community as well as visitors so reservations are essential. A private wine room offers dining for up to 12 guests for those important dinners and negotiations. Open 7 nights a week from 5:30pm to late. The Black Cow logo has been inspired by the amazing ancient artworks in the Lascaux Caves in France. Carbon dating indicates that these paintings are more than 17,000 years old. Black Cow, the name, is a tribute to the Bos Genus… Historically the cow has been important to many cultures. It has been seen and worshiped as a symbol of contentedness, fecundity, the passive yet creative and generative powers of nature, patience, nourishment, abundance, fertility and equifinality. It is also, of course, an excellent source of protein.
Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

I admit to having had pre-conceived ideas of Black Cow before I ate there, and I almost wasn't going to write a review as I was in a bad mood before arriving, and I thought it wouldn't be fair. But the experience of dining there, the food and service, not only smashed my preconceptions, but completely lifted me out of my dark mood and transform it into a hugely enjoyable night. And that's what a great restaurant's supposed to do, isn't it? Provide an experience?

The food was outstanding. My wife and I shared entrees of pork belly and house-made salami. For mains we shared the Wagyu, which was one of the most amazing steaks I've ever eaten. And for dessert, the salted caramel thing which I can no longer remember the name of, but will never forget the taste! All this was accompanied by a great wine list and the most amazing, attentive service I've had in Launceston in years.

Sure, you pay a bit more to enjoy all these things, but it's money well spent. And if it meant I had to save a bit longer and go back less often, rather than having to endure cheaper but much lesser fare elsewhere, I'd consider it an investment.

1  Thank Stredders

Reviewed August 4, 2014

We had a great night out here. The food was superb and the wine list was great.

A great experience. We started with the bread and the balsamic was the best we have tasted in a while. We went with the 450g rib eye on the bone which was cooked superbly like a good steak should be. We also ordered the side of mixed leaves and the vinaigrette was delicious.
Just wish we had room for dessert.

Staff are efficient and attentive.

Reviewed August 3, 2014

We traveled to Launceston from Sydney for many reasons, one of them was for lunch at Black Cow. We would have flown to Launceston , just for lunch! This was perhaps the best beef and red wine meal I have ever enjoyed, anywhere. The slow roasted rump and a bottle of well priced Basket Press were the makings of a great meal. The service was first rate, better than you would find in many similar establishments in Sydney or Melbourne. Bravo Tassie produce and service.

Reviewed August 1, 2014

From start to finish this meal was excellent. Great selection on the courses and the wine list was excellent. We both chose the steak (something of a given with the name and style of restaurant) and it has to be one of the best steaks that I have had while in Australia. The meat is very good quality and cooked perfectly. Neither of us could really find fault with the meal at all. The atmosphere in the restaurant was really good and very busy on a Saturday night which just added to the experience. We'll be back the next time we're in Launceston.

Reviewed July 31, 2014

We had been to BC 12 months ago and enjoyed it so much that we went back for my birthday dinner. A long way from Melbourne for dinner but worth it. Food was delicious and service impeccable . I would recommend it to anyone