“Almost a 5 star restaurant - second best steak I have ever eaten.”
Review of Black Cow Bistro

Black Cow Bistro
Ranked #1 of 308 Restaurants in Launceston
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: “Tasmanian Beef Specialist” Located in the historic art deco Luck’s Butchery shop in Launceston, Tasmania, Black Cow showcases grass fed, free range, hormone free, dry aged, premium Tasmanian beef including brands from Cape Grim, Greenhams, Clover Country, King Island and Flinders Island amongst others. Legislation in Tasmania against the use of hormone growth promotants and antibiotics in red meat production combined with Tasmanian graziers’ focus on free-range grass fed cattle produces happy animals and superior quality meat. A flexible pricing structure and side dishes designed around fresh, local produce allow guests to create the dining experience they desire. Also sporting a well-priced wine list with a heavy emphasis on local Tasmanian wines with some full-bodied reds thrown in for good measure. An energetic atmosphere and friendly professional service completes the Black Cow offering. This casual Bistro style has been a hit with the local community as well as visitors so reservations are essential. A private wine room offers dining for up to 12 guests for those important dinners and negotiations. Open 7 nights a week from 5:30pm to late. The Black Cow logo has been inspired by the amazing ancient artworks in the Lascaux Caves in France. Carbon dating indicates that these paintings are more than 17,000 years old. Black Cow, the name, is a tribute to the Bos Genus… Historically the cow has been important to many cultures. It has been seen and worshiped as a symbol of contentedness, fecundity, the passive yet creative and generative powers of nature, patience, nourishment, abundance, fertility and equifinality. It is also, of course, an excellent source of protein.
Canberra, Australia
“Almost a 5 star restaurant - second best steak I have ever eaten.”
Reviewed December 17, 2012

I am travelling in Launceston for work. I tried to go to this restaurant last night and showed up at 6pm. There were 2 tables occupied in the whole restaurant but was told they were fully booked and there would be nothing til 9pm. On a Monday night! In Launceston! Anyway, I made a booking for tonight and went to the Prickly Cactus across the street (see other review). Whilst I was eating, I watched the waitress turn away other customers so they must have been fully booked tonight as well.

As expected, I was given a table at the back of the restaurant farthest from the door and nearest to the kitchen. This is a standard restaurant move for "lone" diners. What WAS different was that there were three magazines thoughtfully laid out for me. That was an impressive touch.

I skipped entrees and ordered the rump steak ($30) for dinner. I also ordered the peppercorn sauce ($3.50) and vegetables ($7). The steak came with a galette of bintje potatoes. I ordered it medium well. When it arrived, I was very impressed with the galette of potatoes. The slices were wafer thin and if they were hand cut, I am astonished. The steak however was undercooked. When I cut into it, it was still running red. True to form (my form that is) I was not going to complain but the waiter came over and asked me if it was cooked to my liking. I told him no and asked for it to be cooked further. I was asked if I wanted a fresh piece of steak cooked for me or just the current piece cooked further. I was happy with the latter option.

It took a while for my steak to return but when it did, my peppercorn sauce had been replaced with a fresh bottle and I had a new galette of potatoes. I was also served another serve of vegetables. All of that made me very happy. The steak was cooked perfectly the second time but unfortunately had shrunk.

Was it the best steak I have ever eaten? Unfortunately no but it was a close race to the finish. The best steak was eaten at Locanda Steakhouse (outlets in Canberra and Melbourne). This was much cheaper though.

If the Black Cow Bistro tightened up on the way the steaks are cooked, they would deserve 5 stars. I was happy enough with the meal and with the service to leave a tip. I had planned to have dessert but was sufficiently full at the end to skip this. I'll be back next time I'm in town.

Word of warning to vegetarians or lovers of any other meat but beef (and one dish with fish) - you'll struggle to find a main course to have.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Launceston, Australia
“Space your tables please!”
Reviewed December 13, 2012

A slick restaurant with lovely steaks and sides. A shame that my medium rib eye on the bone came out well done, was still very tender though. Deserts are absolutely, ridiculously expensive. Great wine list and service was fine up until we had consumed our main then dropped off, no thank you and goodbye which was a little odd.
MAJOR PROBLEM with this restaurant is that it is in no way romantic unless you intend whispering sweet nothings into the ears of the people sitting 30 cm away from you on either side as well. This restaurant needs to take notice of the amount of comments regarding the close proximity of tables to each other, it's just really, really off putting and ludicrous and the timber chairs are very uncomfortable.
Won't return unless tables are spaced.

12 Thank F1007
Singapore, Singapore
“Amazing steaks!”
Reviewed December 10, 2012

This Restuarant was right at the corner and you need to book in order to get a table. We almost didn't have dinner there but finally decided and got a table. We ordered their soup which was really good and also their steaks. We went a bit overboard and ordered their side dishes which we had to takeaway. The steaks we had was really good and we enjoyed it! We would go back again if we could!

Visited December 2012
“great food, great feel, service good but needs some polish”
Reviewed December 10, 2012 via mobile

outstanding entrees and great beef main courses. this is a quality establishment. the service for most of the night was schmick, however it fell away at the critical time (ie coffee, liqueur, and bill time). overall this is a minor flaw, but will keep tips down for a floor staff who seemed pretty switched on for much of the night.

Malaysia
“Beautiful steaks”
Reviewed December 8, 2012

Our table ordered 4 different steaks - the D-Rump, the King Island Porterhouse, Scotch Fillet and Eye Fillet. All were ordered medium, though I think the Eye Fillet came in a little more done as it was drier and less pink on the inside compared to the rest. Conversely, the D-Rump was a little redder than expected. Each piece was substantial and thickly cut, save for the Scotch Fillet. Of the 4, the taste and texture of the Scotch Fillet suited me best.

We also ordered the bearnaise sauce and roasted garlic condiment, both of which were interesting but I felt didn't really suit the beef.

Overall the steaks were very good and we enjoyed the meal.