“poor service”
Review of The Northern Club - CLOSED

The Northern Club
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed May 23, 2013

meal ordinary 2 lights out of main lights 4 people seated covering the fire my word they must have been hot but the worst whilst still ordering the waitress went around and unst all the unused tables and sprayed and cleaned them. unforgivable!!!!

3  Thank diannehobart

Reviewed April 23, 2013

Beautiful decor and just like a club. Delicious food and excellent service. They have a $15 Tues special menu so I had scotch fillet, chips and salad off that and it was absolutely perfect! Great quality steak, perfect cooked medium and everyone said their steak was great, and beautifully presented. Some had the a la carte menu which has usual restaurant prices (but not over the top) and they raved about their meals which looks great too. I had 6 Oysters Kilpatrick first and you know it's good when you want to drink the remains of the sauce from the shell. Plump fresh oysters. We order cob bread to share which was worth having and the garlic butter on the side was very good. Fantastic small wine list of excellent choices. Good for a group because you can order your own drinks at the bar and pay for meals separately without any problem at all. We go out 6 times a year so will go back there next time. The waitresses were fantastic. Wish we had organised to tip them, but as everyone paid separately they missed out. Next time we will make up for it! Thanks to Manager Rebekah who was so helpful with a lovely big square table which made for a good night of chatting. :-)))

1  Thank Discerningtravel09
Reviewed April 11, 2013

My wife and I had never been to the Northern Club before. The building is very historic and is full of character - an old gentleman's club I believe. We had looked through the windows on numerous occasions and remarked on its ambience and had it on our list of things to do.

We were not at all disappointed. We went there with our little 4 year old daughter and she was made to feel very welcome even though she was the only child in the restaurant. The setting brings you back to yester-year. We chose to sit on some comfortable leather "armchair type" seats, so probably had the best seats in the house.

The menu was good and offered a great variety. Oysters Kilpatrick is always a winner with us so we shared a dozen as an entree. I'm a real steak and red wine fan so that is naturally what I chose. I had an eye fillet, potato galette, baby carrots, roasted mushrooms, with jus and of course my lovely bottle of D'Arenberg 2010 The High Trellis Cabernet Sauvignon! Needles to say, these two married in well and were perfectly matched!! (Just thinking about it makes me salivate again!!)

The staff were very caring and friendly and looked after our little daughter really well. We asked for a small Scotch Fillet steak for her, served with some chips and vegies, and that is exactly what they served. She is a fussy little eater, but she thoroughly enjoyed everything on her plate. (Well, there were no left overs, put it that way.)

Dessert is always my wife's favourite! She chose the warm chocolate fondant, spiced sour cherry compote, with vanilla ice cream. I think the photo says it all. It was delectable and definitely a dessert which I could choose again and again.

Overall, it was a very pleasant experience. The setting is very elegant, oozes character and charm, and the staff certainly made the whole dining experience one to remember. Thank you Northern Club!

1  Thank Peppermill_Tas
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Ordered a scotch fillet. Got a rump steak. Asked the waitress to confirm what cut it was & she said she would talk to the chef. She never got back to us. She even had the cheek to offer us dessert. Bad value!

Reviewed February 24, 2013

We parked the car in downtown Launceston and walked around looking for a good meal. Nothing felt quite right until we found the Northern Club. The building is old and elegant, and with the chiming of the church tower bells from across the street, the ambience is just lovely.
Our meal was delicious--my husband had the chicken with prosciutto, and I had the mushroom risotto with truffle oil. Both were excellently prepared.
What is odd is that the bar, filled with noise and a much younger crowd, is on one side of the front door, and the restaurant is on the other. Both share restroom facilities, and later in the evening, the bar noise is noticeable in the restaurant--

4  Thank JARPHX