“Two visits in the past month - I'm a fan”
Review of The Northern Club - CLOSED

The Northern Club
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
tasmania
“Two visits in the past month - I'm a fan”
Reviewed May 16, 2011

This was a surprise. I had not been here until recently, and now I wish that I had. It is quite a lovely dining room. On the first occassion we were seated in the front room for a special birthday. All guests raved about each of their meals and were really happy. My seafood was the best I have tasted. the Creme Brulee equally so.
The toilets are dreadful and the bar next door equally run down, so strange as the dining rooms are really elegant. On lunchtimes theyu have a $15 beat the chef, where if it's not on the table within a certain time, your meal is free... Pretty good.

• Visited May 2011
1 Thank lisaaw

London
“Very disappointing meal at The Northern Club!”
Reviewed December 14, 2010

On the recommendation of this website we visited The Northern Club with reasonably hopeful expectations.

I ordered the Seafood Linguini as a reviewer made special mention of this dish.

The pasta was not cooked as it should be, some of the seafood tasted only just warm, and all of the calamari in the dish was completely inedible. My friend's comment was they were like thick elastic bands to chew - and this description was accurate.

I mentioned it politely to the waitress and her response was disappointing.

My friend was happy enough with his choice of steak, but for our first visit to a restaurant as a couple, it was sadly a ruined experience.

2 Thank LondonCoco
Australia
“What a pleasant suprise”
Reviewed September 24, 2010

This was way better than I was expecting. This place has two parts: a bar and a restaurant. It has been my experience in the past that most places that serve two functions can serve average or good food even but rarely great food. This place challenged that notion.
We ordered smoked trout bruscetta with truffled oiled seared capers and it was exquiste. I followed with an twice cooked pork belly with endive. Lovely- crisp in the right places, juicy in others. My companion had a pumkin and feta tart that also looked gorgeous. Both were entree sized dishes and adequate in size. Dessert was affogato. The ambience was nice- elegant and opulent. Service was OK. Friendly but a tad unpolished. The bill was very reasonable.

1 Thank jlw1810
South Pacific
“Reasonable, but not great.”
Reviewed June 3, 2010

I found the food better-than-average pub fare and certainly well priced early in the week when the special price deal was on. Service is quite good. However, I felt just one lamb shank was a little sparse for a main course. It was nice and warm in the restaurant area away from the bar, but I disliked being sent to the noisy bar in the next room to pay the bill. And charging extra for plastic (not even Amex or Diners!) is a bit rich. There are better restaurants than this in Launceston --- that don't stiff you $1 for using a card! Sorry.

2 Thank Luigi A
Truganina
“Great food and elegant decor”
Reviewed May 24, 2010

The food was amazing and we were very happy with the serving sizes and value. The only problem was that the food took almost an hour to arrive and during this time the waiters stood in the corner of the restaurant knowing that we were not happy with the wait and avoided tending to us to explain the delay or offer a further round of drinks.

Service was great once we got our meals though. Lack of training I would say. Shame on management not the staff.

1 Thank dylanbarter