“Good food, lovely atmosphere”

Mudbar and Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 314 Restaurants in Launceston
Cuisines: Asian, European, Australian
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Launceston's premier waterside dining experience showcasing contemporary Australian cuisine with an Asian flair and a great wine & drinks list featuring local wines, beers and spirits.
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Mud serves amazing food and the atmosphere is warm and inviting. Since it was cold and rainy, I opted for a seafood risotto, which tasted heavenly with a generous amount of seafood - even scallops. My husband is still raving about his rump steak with a horseradish sauce and beetroot relish. Service was great too. Really one of the best dining experiences in Launceston.

Reviewed July 3, 2013

It is attached to peppers seaport hotel. Easy to attend when your staying as a guest. To be fair, really nice people serve you well and they show a real feeling towards you. Food was really nice, not top and certainly far removed from average. Stay, enjoy and enjoy the wine list. Nice place.

1  Thank sollie37
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Seriously high class. New chef and management have made a few changes, and WOW!
Meals were fantastic. My sugar-cooked pork dish was the best pork I have ever had, and something I had never heard of before, nor eaten anything like it. My husband's steak was perfectly cooked and so tasty; he described it as the second best steak he has ever had - the best being a recent meal at an Argentine restaurant in Shanghai. Entrée of salt and pepper squid was delicious, and dessert of palm sugar pannacotta with poached pears was one of the best desserts I've ever had - silky smooth, great flavours.
New menu has an Asian twist, particularly Vietnamese. Head Chef trained under Daniel Alps, and he is obviously very talented. Wait staff were great, friendly, helpful, and like all really good wait staff, unobtrusive yet attentive.
Only downside was, I our opinions, overpriced wines. But a good selection on Tassie wines, and others.
Will definitely be going back.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

My partner and I stayed two nights at Peppers @ Seaport and had been told by many people about the Mud Bar and the new owners Mel and Don. We had booked for the first evenings meal as it was close and handy. The food was sensational, service was exceptional, owners were down to earth and very charming to say the least. Every dish was just divine and left us wanting more after each course simply because they were so tasty and well presented. The house wine was a recommendation which was a French wine, fantastic choice. The second night we had booked at a different restaurant not far away as we thought we would try somewhere different, however we were so impressed by the Mud we cancelled our second choice and ate at the Mud Bar again. Once again we were totally impressed, we felt like we were part of the family, we were literally greeted with open arms, the food was once again to die for, the service was fantastic, always with a smile. We were recommended a red wine Mothers Milk...at first we were hesitant, I had to explain to my partner that it actually was NOT mothers milk! The wine was a beautiful red wine and great value. Whether you are a meat eater, seafood lover or a vegetarian you will not be disappointed with the choices at this establishment. We will return to try the other culinary delights of the Mud Bar and to meet the wonderful owners and staff. We have & will continue to recommend the Mud Bar to all our family, friends and business colleagues. Thank you Mel for two wonderful evenings.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

Things have been a bit quiet down at the Seaport lately and most restaurants there are closed midweek. So we dined at Mud in the hotel. We hadn't heard that it had new owners - the talent previously at Stillwater - and they clearly make a big difference. It's now far, far better than your average hotel bistro. In fact, it's darn good

It's a long time since I wanted to try just about everything on a menu. I had the prosciutto for entree while Mrs Luigi had salmon fritters. Then we had an excellent pork belly and a superbly done lamb shoulder for mains.

The service has improved dramatically in a very short time and this place will quickly become one of Launceston's finest dining venues. They just need to work on a bit of noise control as it's quite busy and sound echoes off the floors. Highly recommended.

1  Thank Luigi A