“Sufficed Just Nicely”

Ranked #19 of 30 Hotels in Launceston
Melbourne, Australia
“Sufficed Just Nicely”
Reviewed May 8, 2011

A friend and I were in Launceston overnight at the beginning of our Tazzie adventure, so we booked a twin room at the Batman Fawkner Inn online.

The building is very old and has some historical significance. Inside, the rooms are accessed via corridors, stairs and bridgeways, although there is a 'dumb waiter' for luggage (yay!).

We were greeted by a lovely Belgian gentleman working at the front counter, who made us feel right at home and gave us some tips on getting around locally.

The rooms are outdated and the beds are very old, but the linen was fresh and we slept ok. We had a tiny en-suite, which was better than a shared bathroom.

Provided in the room was a jug, little carton of milk (in a bar fridge), teabags, coffee and sugar sachets. Unfortunately, nothing to stir it with though (I used the end of my toothbrush... a bit tacky).

There was also a little old tv in our room but it did not seem to have any reception as there was just fuzz on all channels. Oh well, we didn't come here to watch Neighbours!

A bonus was the small oil heater which kept us cosy at night, rather important as it was chilly out.

Whilst we didn't spend long enough here to find out all the 'extras', we did have a little nosey around and found a comfortable, light lounge room with free internet which was very much appreciated. There was also a shared kitchen facility but we went out for cheap eats.

We were lucky enough to find a free carpark supplied by the hotel, but there was only one and we would have been a bit stuck if it was taken. There were only a few... I suggest calling ahead to see if they will hold one for you if you have a car.

If you're looking for absolute budget accommodation in a private room and are traveling with a friend, the Batman Fawkner Inn sure is good value for money and a step up from shared backpacker accommodation.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank KstarMelbourne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed May 1, 2011

We will keep our stay in BFI in memory as our best experience in tasmania. with the best staffmembers I have ever seen it is probably the best backpackers on our travel so far. the guests are very special too, and so is the lounge downstairs, where no partypoopers are allowed...
Leaving BFI was as hard as it can just be, we love it, and not just the hotel
abi you are awesome

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank partymachine_11
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed April 27, 2011

Moreover, the room (and the common parts) was really clean, and this is an historic building.
There's a lounge/bar downstairs (with card games, pool, free jukebox) and you can even bring your own boose.
And if you need anything, there's a Coles open till midnight ! (10 min walk)

So if you're lost in Launceston, even for only one night, don't hesitate and go to the Batman Fawkner Inn

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed April 21, 2011

Very friendly and helpful management. Quiet, clean, and comfortable rooms. Very reasonable prices.

Using the link from the Inn's website, we booked a twin room with ensuite for two nights - the first on flying into Launceston, the second after hiking the Overland Track (about a week later). We arrived reasonably late on our first night (around 8:30pm) and the managers were at the front desk to greet us and check us in. Since we were catching a bus to the start of the Overland Track the next morning at 8.30am, we walked to the nearby 24hr supermarket and department store to purchase supplies. However we soon had a problem, we could not find any suitable gas cartridges for our hiking stove! Disheartened, we walked back to the Batman Fawkner and bumped into the friendly staff. After explaining our problem they donated to us a couple of suitable gas canisters that had been left behind by previous visitors. Phew, problem solved! While we were hiking they also kept a bag of our excess gear for us free of charge.

The room and ensuite were both clean but the ensuite was a little cramped. Linen and towels were provided. The beds were comfortable, no problems with room temperature (we were there in March), and there was plenty of hot water for the shower! The room also contained a wardrobe with hangers, a small television, a barfridge (don't forget to turn it on!), and a kettle with tea, coffee and sugar sachets. The kitchen was large, clean, and well supplied with a large communal fridge, cooktop, oven, microwave, toaster, kettle, etc. The attached dining room is also spacious and has a TV. A laundry with 3 washing machines and 2 dryers is available for a small fee (includes washing powder). This was used extensively after returning from the Overland Track!

The Inn is very charming, unique, and has quite a history. The location is great and is close to everything you need. The atmosphere is quiet which suited us fine (we stayed on a Monday and Wednesday night). There is a bell tower nearby that can make a bit of noise during the night but you soon get used to it.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank ash098
Northland
Reviewed April 9, 2011

I stayed in BFI on the last night of my Tasmanian trip. I had a flight to catch early next morning, and so just needed a place to crash for a night. I needed a basic, clean ensuite room for a good price, and I got that at BFI. The lady behind the desk was very friendly and helfpul.

Now to the negatives. This is a hostel, so expect a, eh, communal experience. When I first walked into the door to check in, I ran into a couple of young gents who clearly had one too many beers and one too few showers. I was then advised by the staff that alcohol is permitted on the premise; I was heartened to see that some of my fellow guests were taking full advantage of the said policy.

Then, after I got into my room, I discovered that I could "share" in the smell of all the food that was being prepared in the communcal kitchen down the hall, even with my door closed. Not being a curry person myself, I found the particular smell rather disconcerting, especially as it lingered in my room long after.

Also, there's very little insulation/sound proofing, and I could hear everything that went on in the hallway. A couple of times, my fellow guests tried to open my room door. I did not get up to ascertain whether they were actually looking for me, or if they just had the wrong room.

Finally, BFI has no parking facility, so if you have a car, you're on your own. Your options are to find a paid parking facility nearby, or park on the street overnight and take your chances with the bar patrons nearby.

Bottom line: if you're on a budget and just want a clean ensuite room in the center of Launceston, if you don't have a car, and if you don't mind a little communal experience with all the noise and smell that come with it, this is the place for you. Otherwise, keep looking.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
BatmanFawknerInn, Manager at Batman Fawkner Inn, responded to this review, June 1, 2011
Thank-you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel. I am certainly disappointed that your stay was not all that it could have been. I was the lady behind the desk so thanks for your lovely words.

You are right we are a hostel as well as a hotel - our hotel wing is separate to the backpackers area - next time you may enjoy trying our hotel side as then you will not have the unfortunate experiences that you have mentioned here ad far as food smells and hallway noise which I and the other staff members apologise for profusely.

As far as the security of your room goes - we were very concerned about your review and again we apologise deeply, since your review we have put in security cameras into all hallways and staircases and we are in the process of putting security latches on the inside of the doors of all rooms so you and our other guests will feel more safe while staying here.

You may also be interested to learn that since your stay we have added a lovely bar area with a large fireplace, pool table, juke box and a private outside smoking area, so our guests are contained in an area away from other guests while they indulge themselves in a drink or two.

I was surprised to read that you did not find any car spaces - it is true we have limited private car spaces, however we can park up to 10 vehicles off road in our private car park, also after 5.00 in the evening right through to 9am in the morning it is free to park on the road outside which is quiet as their is no bars open to the public on this end of the street (only our private bar - available for all in-house guests).

We thank-you very much for your honest words:
"Bottom line: if you're on a budget and just want a clean ensuite room in the center of Launceston,"

We would take pleasure in welcoming you back so you could experience the hotel as it was meant to be and you can enjoy our clean, en-suited room situated nicely in the centre of town.

, Please feel free to contact myself directly via the below details if you are travelling to Launceston again so that I may personally take care of you on your next stay.

Once again please do accept our apologies and we do hope that we can be your hosts at a future time.
Haarlem, The Netherlands
Reviewed April 4, 2011

I was surprised to read all the raving reviews. Although my stay here was not bad there are certainly sides to this hotel that are not good.

The good: the (dorm) room was clean on arrival and had an ensuite bathroom. The hotel provides free wifi and the kitchen and common areas are fine too. But our bathroom was not cleaned during my stay of 4 nights.

However, at times it feels like being at a homeless centre. There are several dishevelled looking men staying at the hotel that drink hard liquor during the day and into the night. As a solo traveller this made me feel unsafe at times.

One night a man was knocking on hotelroom door next to us very loudly and shouting at 4am. Than he opened our dorm room that we had forgotten to lock. We pretended to sleep and he left but it did not feel good.

Location is great and so is the building.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank AnnaNLCH
BatmanFawknerInn, Manager at Batman Fawkner Inn, responded to this review, June 24, 2011
Thank-you so much for taking the time to write this review. We are so sorry that your stay with us was not what you expected. We thank-you for letting our other potential guests know that we are a clean hotel with in-room en-suited bathrooms and that our fully equipped kitchen facility and dining room reached your expectation.

Your review was an eye opener for us as you were quite correct in what you said about a couple of our gentlemen guests - we asked them to tidy themselves up or find other accommodation - they decided to move on and our hotel went back to being the family orientated hotel we have become well known for.

We apologise heavily for the situation that happened in your hotel room - you will not have a similar occurence as we are in the process of putting chain locks on the inside of each additional room so as well as the key lock you have now you will have added safety.

We invite you to come back and visit us again because now we have the most delightful "guest only" lounge which has a roaring fireplace with comfortable seating around it, a pool table and a jukebox we also offer cards and board games to our guests to keep them occupied and we have a bar available as well.

We are so pleased you loved our location as we are smack bang in the centre of everything and yet still far enough away that we are quiet with the lovely "Japanese Macaque Monkeys" in the botanical city park only 100 metres from our building.

We are also delighted that you loved our building - being built in 1822 it is nearly 200 years old and has such a lovely history - the wallpaper on the first floor is the original wallpaper from back in the 1820's and the lovely polished floor on the second floor is all original.

We hope you decide to come back and enjoy your time here at the Batman Fawkner Inn as now that the atmosphere is excluded of several dishevelled looking men and we are now a family orientated hotel.
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed March 19, 2011

The managers at the Batman Fawkner Inn made me feel at home as soon as I came through the front door. Right off the bat they offered me to use their car to get some groceries (which was brave on their part, since Im Canadian and we drive on the other side of the road....). They were friendly, helpful and willing to do whatever they could to ensure I was comfortable and felt welcome. They work around the clock and seem to always be there when I had any questions. The ensuite bathrooms were spotless on arrival, as was the kitchen and the common room.They even offered free wifi internet, which is almost unheard of! I truely cannot say enough good about this hostel. I have been travelling around Australia for 4 months now and this has been, by far, the best hostel experience yet.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo