Arthouse Hostel
The Sebel Launceston(Launceston)(Great Value!)
$145
  • Room Service
$167
$131
  • Restaurant
Apartments At York Mansions(Launceston)(Great Value!)
$155
Commodore Regent(Launceston)
$128
Hotels.com
Village Family Motor Inn(Launceston)(Great Value!)
$91
$88
Hotels.com
Clarion Hotel City Park Grand(Launceston)(Great Value!)
$139
$130
Agoda.com
Balmoral on York(Launceston)(Great Value!)
$77
Travelocity
Mantra Charles Hotel(Launceston)(Great Value!)
$127
Auldington(Launceston)(Great Value!)
$88
$76
Orbitz.com
All reviewsdorm roomfree wifibathroom facilities aredoor codeplug socketsbig kitchencommon areasold househerb gardengroup bookingplenty of hot watercity centreenjoyed my stayplace to staystayed here for one nightbeds were comfortablebackpackers
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 19, 2013

Canny fault this hostel what so ever, had a braw wee sleep here and enjoyed my day in this backpackers!
great sleep, really comfy and had a good time in front of the tv with a wee dram with some folks who stayed there.
the rooms are big ( few sockets to plug in the phone though )
staff where mint
the shops where a bit far away and you wont see much after 6pm as everything shuts - but all in all i loved my stay there in launceston.
i would say defo book this hostel, i enjoyed it :)

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 15, 2013

I initially booked for one night and ended up staying for six! The staff are so helpful, friendly and efficient and the backpackers this place attracts are lovely. I'm at the older end of the backpacking scale and unlike some other places I didn't feel out of place at all. There were no problems being in an 8 bed dorm, everyone seems to be respectful, and I slept really well every night. I thought the bathrooms were spotless, with very good showers and plenty of room to do girls' things like putting on make up!

The kitchen was well-equipped and the staff do an excellent job of making sure there's no washing up left out. It can get very busy in there, so don't expect miracles, but the cleanliness inspired me to do proper cooking, and if you time it right (ie early in the morning or mid afternoon) you can sometimes get the whole place to yourself.

Finally - massive surprise: FREE WIFI. And not only that, it actually worked! I managed to skype on it, and if you want to upload pictures I found it fastest early in the morning.

This is easily my favourite hostel of all time and it totally made my time in Tasmania. I may not be back for a while, but I will certainly be pointing everyone who will listen in the direction of the Arthouse! :)

Room Tip: I honestly don't think you can go wrong.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 14, 2013

I only stayed one night on a flying visit to Launceston but I'll definitely stay again. The entire hostel is cleaner than any I've ever seen. The bathrooms positively sparkle, my room was entirely dust-free and even the kitchen, while being older and unrenovated, was clearly scrubbed to an inch of its life.

Also the matress was very comfortable and my room had an oil heater that I could set to my temperature preference, which is much appreciated in a cool climate.

The old waste land across the road is being redeveloped into a river-side park - the contractors were at work while I was there - and it should be lovely when done.

Oh, and the showers were hot and strong!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 13, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the Arthouse for two nights before doing the overland track. It was a really friendly chilled out hostel. I stayed in one of the larger dorm rooms, beds were spread so there was actually space for luggage around them which was nice!

There is a large dining area and lounge which was good to chill out in the evening. The kitchen was busy at dinner time but it was perfectly fine to cook in with everything you need provided, the second night I cooked early to avoid the rush which worked well!

While its not in the centre of town both the town centre and supermarket are only 10min walk so easily accessible.

Overall it's a good place and I'd stay there again

Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 13, 2013

The hostel is impeccably clean. There are no hairs in the showers, and the staff constantly checks that dishes aren't left out.

The owner Pete is an avid hiker and an amazing resource. Not only did he patiently explain how to get to cradle mountain from launceston, but he also helped plan our itinerary. In order to make sure that my friend and I got the most out of Tasmanian experience, he helped us organize our entire trip.

I can't have imagined visiting Tasmania without staying at the Arthouse.

• Stayed: December 2013