Arthouse Hostel
Average 3/5
Very Good 4/5
Hotel Launceston(Launceston)
Good 3.5/5
All reviewsdorm roomfree wifibathroom facilities aredoor codeplug socketsbig kitchencommon areasold househerb gardengroup bookingplenty of hot watercity centreenjoyed my stayplace to staystayed here for one nightbeds were comfortablebackpackers
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 1, 2012

I booked into this place recommended by its sister hostel in Hobart (central city backpackers) which was great. The Arthouse, however, was not so great. First of all I had made a booking for a mixed room with the quoted price of $21 a night. When I arrived, they told me all the beds were gone except for a bed in a girls dorm for $23 a night. Not impressed but not wanting to argue with a disinterested receptionist, I agreed to go for that bed. When I went to my allocated room, not only was it absolutely tiny, there was barely anywhere to put my bag. When I went to wash my clothes, i discovered that the dryer was "out of order"..... it was raining non stop and the only place I could "dry" my clothes was outside with no shelter. The shower in the girl's bathroom was "out of order", the computers were "out of order" and one of the microwaves didn't work. The arthouse itself might as well have been out of order. The staff were most unhelpful when I asked about what was being done with all their broken crap..... "nothing. The owner is out of town". Fantastic. Not only did I pay more than expected when there is a much better hostel in Launceston, I had damp clothes for my entire stay. I have stayed at many hostels across Australia, and this was the most disappointing and had the least value for money.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed February 10, 2012

Two friends recommended this place to me.. which is weird! There obviously isn't much choice in Launceston. My dad and I arrived at about 2pm (check in time), and I was starving.. and the kitchen was CLOSED for cleaning.. hrmm.. a very annoying time..

The single private room was ok.. lots of echo and paper thin walls - I could hear all the happenings in the hallway. The computers AND wifi were both not working.. which in my opinion is an absolute essential in any hostel. It turned out that the computers had been down for over two weeks (I needed the internet otherwise I would die but it did not bother them). They offered no alternatives OR a discount..

The kitchen was ok, spacious but a little gloomy.. the 'herb garden' consisted of wilted oregeno and some wild mint. The place has lots of potentional - nice, old building but some carpet or something needs to be put in to reduce the noise. The 'staff' seemed like volunteers and weren't that helpful.

3/5. There must be a better option.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 29, 2012

I was arranged to stay in an eight-bed room in the hostel for one night while in a tour. It was a mixed dorm but I was the only female in the room. The mattress was quite comfy but the bunk bed was quite shaky that you can feel it shake when the other one move. I could still hear people outside talking after midnight. The washroom and bathroom were clean. However, I don't appreciate that both genders need to share the same toilet and bathroom as it can be quite embarrasing sometimes. The kitchen was quite disgusting and is small. Flies were everywhere and there were not enough utilities. It was so crowded in the kitchen during dinning time and difficult to find a seat as there were only a few chairs and tables in the dinning room. I feel lucky that I just need to stay there for one night.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 27, 2012

Stayed here for two nights while on tours Tasmania! Paid the extra for a private room but wasn't told it was not en suite! Shared bathrooms were disgusting especially the unisex showers that smelled of urine and had flies! Reception hours are pretty bad we arrived out 10pm and reception was closed! Our keys were just left on the counter with my name on it! Location is pretty bad too! The rooms are ancient and the floors and pipes creek all night! Our room was pretty dirty, probably because the backpackers staying here can do 2 hours of cleaning a day to get a free nights stay! Wouldn't recommend to anybody looking for a clean stay and good nights rest!!!

• Stayed: February 2011
Reviewed January 23, 2012

An old place with plenty of character. Comfortable, clean rooms and very good bathrooms. The staff were friendly and very helpful. The same can't be said for some of the guests, but that is no fault of the hostel, merely an observation on how inconsiderate some people can be. We found it difficult to rate this place because we rarely stay at hostels, but the Arthouse was better than we expected.

Room Tip: There are single, twin and double rooms available so you can avoid the dorms.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple