“Great location, clean but a little dated”

Mount Gambier Hotel
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Mount Gambier
Melbourne, Australia
“Great location, clean but a little dated”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We stayed here mid week the week before Christmas and really enjoyed our stay.
It is centrally located and the staff were very friendly and helpful.
We had a delicious breakfast.
The room was as clean as I've ever experienced (we lost an earring butterfly and went searching under the beds - the carpet was absolutely spotless).
The room was spacious and had very high ceilings.
The facilities are dated by modern standards, and it was a very windy night and the door rattled a bit, but not enough to put us off as we've stayed before and expect to do so again.

Room Tip: Call the hotel beforehand - the staff are happy to assist.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Helen A
The_Gambier, Manager at Mount Gambier Hotel, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Thanks for your feedback. Our wonderful hotel is now over 150 years old & has inherited the noises of the past. We are constantly trying to update our facilties whilst trying to maintain the character of the days past.

We are so pleased that you have enjoyed the wonderful hospitality of our great city and hope we will see you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Reviewed January 8, 2013

We ate here recently whilst on holidays and had a table booked for 6.30pm. We had a group of 10 adults and 5 children under the age of 3 years. The meals were VERY slow to arrive and after informing the staff that we hadn't had any meals yet their reply was "We weren't expecting this many people tonight". After waiting more than 2 hours for meals to arrive some of the meals were not very good, eg pumpkin gnocchi was not like pasta at all, it was deep fried potato balls with fried bacon on a smear of pumpkin soup, also a salad was a 1/4 lettuce just put on a plate. One meal was returned and asked to be replaced. By 9.30pm we were still waiting on the last meal to arrive. We had 5 restless and tired children who needed to be put to bed. As we were leaving we spoke to a staff member and requested a refund for the meal which had not arrived and he told us " I am not authorised to give you a refund, and your meal is ready now." We did not see this meal at all! Hopefully they don't let all their pregnant customers go hungry!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank JKTS_13
Thanks for your feedback, we are always trying to improve services and product and appreciate all constructive comments.
Adelaide
Reviewed December 19, 2012

I've recently moved to Mt Gambier and thought that 'the g's' higher prices would be an indication of a better experience. This was not the case. I've had three bad experiences in as many months.

1) Ordered the chefs plate at $25 a pop. Thought for that price I would get something tasty and creative. Not only did I have to wait 40mins for it, while basket after basket of bread rolls went past our table, it was just a plate of bread. Super disappointed with the lack of variety and flavour. It consisted of a quesadilla, which was seriously lacking any cheese, over cooked chicken and a token sprinkle of jalepenos, caramelised onion on toast, breaded beetroot balls and some shredded chicken in pastry (these weren't bad and the relish on the side was the only sources of flavour on the whole plate). Left feeling cheated outta my money and hungry.

2) Ordered off their cocktail menu, I was really impressed they had a cocktail menu. Until I found out that non of the staff had been shown how to make the cocktais on the menul. I felt so sorry for the bar staff, I felt management had let them down. I ordered a dry vodka martini with an olive. What I got was anything but dry, crappy vodka, in a warm glass and an olive that had been soaking in oil, that some lady brought from the kitchen. So I got specks of oil floating in my drink, which my friends nicknamed, the "fetta martini" because it tasted like one of those marinated Mediterranean mixes. It was awful. Kudo to the poor guy for trying, but it was like trying to bake a cake without the recipe.

3) Went back again ( I know, if should have learn't), this time split a lamb salad with a friend. The lamb looked and tasted like a week old lamb roast that had been diced and chucked on my salad, it was gamey and dry. I jealously eyed off everyone else's chicken parm.

If you just want a beer, this place is fine, but be warned, you'll be hit up for over $7 a pint, and there is little indication as to what you're getting for your money as there is no table service and no extraordinary ambients.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank MissyBAdelaide
We are always trying to improve our produce and strive to deliver only the very best. We supply wonderful specials with food and liquor, each month we have a special on pints, this month $6 Pints of Carlton Draught.

We hope that all our customers have a look at our complete menu's and order a meal that will satisfy not only their taste but their appetite as well.

Please ask our staff, next time you visit, they will be more that happy to let you know what would be a suitable choice of meal.
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed November 13, 2012

The room was large and the kitchen was fine. Noise from street was very well managed (reduced, almost eliminated) by the window design. Bath was very under-whelming.

However, for the overall price, I'd look around before staying here again in this area. I generally enjoy staying at older period hotels, but found this one to be pretty chopped up as far as flow of areas and once out in the hall or most places on the property it smelled a bit like a short-order kitchen.

I won't really put it down, and I might stay again, but I'd definitely shop around first.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jim M
Reviewed June 27, 2012

We stayed overnight, midweek and found the place to be a little noisy (traffic noise and town clock), but enjoyed our stay regardless (in a superior room). The hotel in very conveniently located and the bar downstairs is fantastic. Meals and drinks are great value. The rooms are a little tired, but the beds are comfy and the place is spotless. The spa is smaller than a regular bath, but fine if you just want to chill out on your own.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Spring Hill, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed June 17, 2012

When we were planning our trip to Adelaide we rang to book at Mt Gambier hotel as stopover. The receptionist advised we should be aware that they had a late night license and bands playing until 3am! Although the rooms were upstairs and they rarely had noise issues, She offered the option of holding the room so we could think about it and call back the next day. We decided not to stay, but did end up eating both dinner and breakfast at the hotel. The service, the cost and HUGE delicious meals had us regretting we hadn't also stayed in the room as the overal presentation of the hotel was fantastic......honest staff, great service, great meals (almost too much), clean thorough out and also very centrally located would have this high on my list of Pubs to stay at!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Adelaide S.A.
Reviewed May 16, 2012

My daghter and I stayed at this hotel last night. We paid $135.00 for room number 6. The room was large and clean and comfortable with a nice LCD TV mini bar and large clean bathroom with spa bath. The room faced the main road but was very quiet (with double glazed windows) we had a very peaceful sleep. We stayed on a Tuesday night so the place was not probably as busy as weekend nights. The staff that we encountered were mostly very proffessional and friendly. We went down to the bistro for tea and had a man serve us that asked to see my 24 year old married daughters ID (of course which she did not have on her) I found his attitude over the top and very annoying, she certainly did not look like a under 18 year old school child in fact she is a school teacher that has come to work in Mt Gambier. Appart from this incident we thought the hotel was fine and probably good value for country standards.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business