THE PROMENADE RESTAURANT
Reserve with
THE PROMENADE RESTAURANT is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #25 of 162 Restaurants in Glenelg
Cuisines: Seafood, Australian
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings, Scenic view, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Last Saturday, my friend and I went to The Promenade for High Tea, as she had not had this experience before. I thought The Grand would be a bit more "upmarket" than other establishments, however we were very disappointed. When we walked in, there was a big group of women laughing very loudly and we found it difficult to talk over it (OK, they were having fun). We were then asked if we wanted tea or coffee, and this was brought around in a glass jug, which turned out to be lukewarm, not hot at all, as it was probably sitting on a warmer for ages. Not even a selection of teas was available. I have been to high tea at other places, and you get proper tea pots and china cups and saucers offered to you. We ordered the deluxe (middle of the road one), and there were more scones than anything else, (with “cream” that tasted like it came out of one of those pressurised cans), nice sandwiches, some curry puffs and mini quiches, which were not hot, and all this on thick white plates. There were no cakes on offer either, which was a disappointment. I think because we were at the 3 pm sitting, (the other being at 12.30-2.30 pm) the scones were not warm, and not as fresh. Also at other places, included in the price is a glass of sparkling wine, which was not on offer at The Promenade. To top it off, when I went to pay with my credit card, they asked for a 1.5% surcharge. Consequently I paid in cash. I would have thought this type of hotel would not be asking for “extra” fees. I have had high tea at the Peninsula Hotel in Hong Kong, and this was more like an afternoon tea. They should not class it as a high tea, as it was anything but. All in all, it was very disappointing.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank 2pence47

Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Brisbane
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The view is the star”
Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

Looking over the water can't be beat, even in winter. Food is great, and you certainly pay for it. Service though is poor: Took 2hrs for the 3-course lunch special, and with only 8 tables occupied, we were mostly ignored for the duration. But we've done it now & won't bother again.

• Visited June 2013
Toowoomba, Australia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing location . even more Amazing Food !!”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

This restaurant set within the Stamford Grand hotel offers stunning views. Located in the splendid Glenelg (a must visit for every tourist) area, it’s surrounded by the ocean on the front and shops on the side.
We took the 2 course lunch. My wife selected the Smoked Lamb Salad (entrée) and a Pasta dish, while I decided to try their Fish and Chips with a Rhubarb & Apple Crumble for desert, and might I say that everything was absolutely scrumptious!
While I ‘helped’ my wife through her entrée (albeit against her wishes), I couldn’t resist digging into the rather large pieces of cured lamb and fetta. Her Pasta dish was to die for and so were my Fish and Chips, especially the accompanying herb and lime tar-tare sauce. Without a doubt the best Fish and Chips ever!!
She had her chance to even things out by sharing my dessert, however she didn’t seem to like it that much, but I marched on. So all in all a 10/10.

Visited June 2013
Brisbane
“Great view”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We had the Saturday night seafood buffet and for $55 it was pretty good. There was cold seafood as well as hot cooked salmon, roast meats, salads, potato bake, noodles etc. Plenty to choose from including a great dessert selection.

• Visited June 2013