“Overpriced and very shabby”

Top of the World Revolving Restaurant
Cuisines: Seafood, Mediterranean
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Melbourne, Australia
“Overpriced and very shabby”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

We went for a Saturday lunch. There was only 1 other table of diners there, and I'm guessing the restaurant seats 150+. The views are excellent and move at the right speed so you do 1.5 rotations during a lazy lunch and the waiter was very friendly but that's all the positives I can think of.
The decor clearly has not been updated in decades - worn carpet, 80s chairs and tables and the bathrooms and absolutely appalling. I was pretty stunned at how expensive the menu was (most mains were $40+) and we were all charged a surcharge because it was a Saturday.
Given the prices I was expecting the quality of the seafood to be excellent. It wasn't. The prawns has obviously been cooked at an earlier time, frozen and then just reheated in a microwave - they were soggy and tasteless.
The desserts were also expensive $16+ and tasted like they were purchased from a supermarket. I don't know how this place manages to operate such a vast seafood menu with so few patrons (I guess like my prawns things are kept frozen), and I would understand that they are not making enough to refurbish the restaurant but I wouldn't ever return. For those prices I expect excellence.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank smit0847

“Over rated, over priced, untidy waiting staff”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

We went with a living social voucher for a seafood platter with another couple.
- lack of beer available they guys had stella out of a coopers glass that the waitress plonked on the table after asking if they wanted glasses.. id expect getting a glass with your drink is standard practice in a restaurant.
- One of the waitresses looked like she should be working at mc donalds. Shirt dirty and not ironed, greasy hair falling over her face and not well presented. Seeing her sitting on a couch with her mobile as we left was not a good look either.
- Seafood platter was one platter to share between 2 couples. We expected 2 platters and not to all share from one plate.. no chips provided (isn't this just a given with seafood?) Asked for some prawns to be crumbed and cooked at extra cost and was told this wasnt possible.
- the decor is out dated with tint coming off windows, cracked tiles and definitely a "has been"
Not some where I'll be running back to.. barnicle bills is better!

2 Thank melanddoug
Adelaide, Australia
“Revolving restaurant Glenelg”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013

Went with another couple with a living social voucher for the seafood platter. Overall disappointing. If we had paid full price for the platter we would have been not happy at all. What ever they had cooked the king prawns in made them taste awful and we couldn't eat another after trying the first. We like chips so we ordered a bowl as none came with the platter, $9.00 and it was by no means a generous serve. The service was okay but when a different waitress came to give us our dessert menu it looked like she had come straight from the kitchen as her apron was dirty and not up to the standard of waiting on tables. She came out to serve coffee to another table and the same dirty apron. All in all very disappointing and overpriced. Oh we didn't have dessert as once again overpriced.

1 Thank FrankLog
Melbourne, Australia
“Fantastic Food & Views-Brilliant!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

Just lovely-food was soooo yummy-a must to go-Ashleigh was very nice & new her job very well-the prices are not cheap but the view & the food is worth every cent-my travel friend had steak & prawns & I had Sambal Prawns-go at 5.30pm if you can so you can see the sunset!!

2 Thank oldchook
Australia
“Top Top Top!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

This is one of our favourite restaurants and when we have something to celebrate or feel like splurging we go to Top of the World.
We went there recently on a Friday night for dinner and everything was delicious.
We shared the toasted mini loaf with olive oil, balsamic reduction and dukkah as an entrée, we then each had the chicken breast and seafood linguini as mains and we shared a dessert which was the chocolate and pistachio pudding with hot chocolate sauce, vanilla ice cream and toffee.
The entrée was delicious. The bread was perfect for dipping and it was a great starter with a glass of wine.
My seafood linguini was scrumptious. I asked for no anchovies and no scallops and they gladly obliged. The combination of simple flavours in the pasta with the seafood really brought it to life. I wanted to eat it all but the serving was so generous that I couldn't finish. There was no sauce to the pasta which made it even better because the seafood, linguini and combination of spices was just perfect.
Then the dessert came out and wow. It really was my partner's choice as he loves puddings but given there was a second spoon I thought I'd try it, and I'm so glad I did. The pudding was very tasty and the crunch of the pistachio really made it different. The hot chocolate sauce wasn't too rich and balanced well with the vanilla ice-cream and strawberry.
The service was exceptional. For a classy restaurant the food comes out very quick so if you have a movie to get to afterwards or you have kids to get back to it's a good choice for dinner. The staff on that particular night were all very friendly and I have found them always to be that way everytime we have dined at Top of the World. We had to ask the waiter a couple of times to fill up our water glasses and for the dessert menu after we had finished our mains but I can forgive that given they are always happy and willing to help and given the quality of the food.
What topped off the night was that I was able to use the Entertainment Book voucher which saw us paying 25% less. The bill itself was very reasonable for what we ate and drank and given it is a classy restaurant but to pay a quarter less made it real value for money.
Overall a great place. You cannot forget the views also. It's so nice to just look out the window and everyone has a window seat given the design of the restaurant. It is very pretty at night, you can see the city, the airport, the beach etc. Keep up the great work Top of the World!