“Best spot I have stayed in a long time”
Review of Seawall Apartments

Seawall Apartments
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Glenelg
GreenLeadersSilver level
Melbourne
“Best spot I have stayed in a long time”
Reviewed May 8, 2009

If you are looking for 5 star - look further. If you are looking for a fantastic location right on the beach front - then highly recommended. Don't let the outside dissuade you. This is true art deco building that has been very well renovated.

There were 17 of us, which is difficult to accommodate in one area at a reasonable price. Seawall was fantastic for this purpose. The apartments were hugh, which meant we did not feel that we were in each other way. The apartments are bright and airy, giving an even greater sense of spaciousness. They were extremely clean with everything there to feel like home.

Location was sensational -lots of fit looking boys and girls to look at running along the beach! The sound of the waves crashing on your doorstep really adds to the beach feel.

It was a short walk to Glenelg and the various pubs. Never felt at anytime threatened walking from the Seawall to the main road and back, very late at night. Easy to get into Adelaide proper with the tram.

I can say that all of us had a ball and would highly recommend to anyone who didn't want to stay in a chain hotel. I want to come back in summer.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank HorseygirlMelbourne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Canberra
Reviewed April 27, 2009

I just got back from the long weekend away in Adelaide, S.A. Our first night we stayed in the City, and then the next morning we caught a tram to Glenelg. The weather was HORRIBLE! we nearly got blown away once we got off the tram, but the accommodation made it worth it. We walked down teh Esplenade to try and finf the apartments. After reading other reviews I was a bit sceptical as none of them were that good. From the ourside the apartments looked a bit shabby, older buildings, but with cool decorations, shipwrecks, boat propellors etc. To get into the office you have to walk under a massive sharks head, i loved it! We arrived early (11am) and knowing it was too early to check in we just wanted to leave our bags for a few hours while we went exploring. The receptionist (I didn't catch her name) was lovely and advised us that the housekeepig were in there cleaning it up but we were more than welcome to put ouyr stuff in there. She showed us to our apartment. Once we walked in I was shocked. it was so beautiful. Polised wooden floors, the Ceiling was high With crystal chandelleirs hangind down in every room. The bedroom was HUGE with a wall size mirror, fireplace and a corner spa. it was so much more than i'd expected. There was a big Kitchen, Bigger loungroom with lovely comfy lounges, a Plasma and DVD player. there was also a modern bathroom at the back of the kitchen. Also, a second room with two beds. I payed $180 a night for this accommodation and i think that was a bargain. I think it is worth Much more. I would reccommend This accommodation if you are going to glenelg. I will definately stay there again.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank teisha7
Cheshire
Reviewed December 9, 2008

1st impressions were a bit scarey, thinking we've travelled all this way and we're going to hate it here but once inside the apartment, we knew we had chosen well.
The1st floor apartment was immaculate, and very modern with all the amenities needed for our 3 week stay.
The balcony had a sea view and we were entertained by the early morning power walkers, swimmers and beautiful views, especially the sunsets. The pelicans were another bonus.
The staff were very friendly and we got invited for drinks with the owner who gave us an incite to all the seafaring memorabelia outside the apartments. The shark gave us a lot of entertainment watching peoples' reactions to it. On the flight home we met a couple who had toured Australia and they had a photo taken with the shark whilst passing through. Glenelg has everything you need for a good holiday and all in all we had a great time.

• Liked — It had all the comforts of home from home
  • Disliked — No complaints
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank GeeGees062
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed August 3, 2008

It's different - no way could it be classed as a business hotel - it seems to be a collection of buidlings on the one block that are all managed by the one office. We drove in the back way as the road along the beach is for pedestrians only - I think if we had seen the place from the front I would have kept driving - you enter off the espalanade by walking through a sharks mouth - with dripping blood - very tasteful. The whole complex is awash with flotsam and jetsam - literally.
The apartment we got wasn't a seafront apartment but a 2 bedroom upstairs at the back - it was very spacious like a home away from home. The air con was noisy and the spa took forever to fill but overall it was good - it was fully self contained with enough thrown it that you didn't have to buy cleaning gear etc - we ate in just like home.
A great location about 5-7 minutes walk from the Glenelg tram into the city plus plenty of shops and restaurants in the area.
I'd stay again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The sharks mouth
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank BazinBrisbane
Lancashire
Reviewed June 11, 2008

My late husband and many of our friends are from a naval background, so the spectre of the Sea Wall apartments and all the maritime connections meant we had a tremendously interesting and happy first stay for 2 weeks in 2004.
Since then, I have revisisted twice; for 5 weeks in 2005 and for 4+ weeks this year.
I suppose there are people who might find the facade a little challenging, a large fibreglass sharks head at the beach entrance and the miriad of small boats, anchors, ropes, capstans etc' around the grounds but, to me, it is a wonderful reminder of my childhood at this particular beach.
The property remains, from the outside, a typical 2 storied, balconied and verandah'd colonial beach front home of the early 20th century, beautifully restored internally to meet the needs of those staying right on the beach front. The accomodation is airy, calm and sometimes quirky, and the owners and staff the same + extremely accomodating, kind and helpful.
If you are a 'minimalist' this place is not for you, but if you love the beach, being away from main roads but close to where the 'action is', walking rather than driving, great company and beauuuuuuuuuuuutiful sun sets, look no further.
My last 2 stays were in the 'chapel' at the back of the property; perfect for a couple or just one, spacious, airy, welcoming, great fun and one of my favourite places to be.
And, where else can you b-b-q overlooking the sea with all amenities provided.
If, after all this you feel you need a good glass of red, visit the southern wineries, especially Samuels Gorge

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — maybe a little too much external clutter
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
3 Thank mrsmate
South Australia
Reviewed May 12, 2008

My Mother In-Law won a voucher for one nights accomodation at the Seawall Apartments and she generously gave it to my wife.

My wife and I used the voucher last weekend and had a great time. The two bedroom apartment was very modern & tastefully decorated with plenty of room for the four of us (apartment 8). Our expectations were highly surpassed especially given it was a freebie.

Location wise it's a short stroll to the action of Glenelg but is right on the beach front. The collection of nautical curios and the shark mouth out front are a bit over the top but add to the atmosphere.

The Manageress (Anita from memory), was very pleasant and helpful. My Daughter accidentally lost $20 in her bedroom which was handed in voluntarily by the cleaners and gave back to us on check-out. Wonderful honesty.

Highly recommend for anyone looking for apartment style accomodation and something that little bit different. I understand all the apartments are a bit different in style so be sure to enquire to find the most suitable for your stay.

We'll be back in the future.

The McAuley Family
(Gawler South Australia)

Stayed May 2008
4 Thank mcau
North Coast NSW
Reviewed January 15, 2008

Having read other reviews (both of which were negative but seemed to focus on the aspects of Seawall we actually liked) here's our assessment.
Firstly I didn't think it was overly tacky - okay the fibreglass shark's head is hardly magnificent but it made us laugh. The decor (the subject of some criticism) wasn't offensive to us either. The room was clean, the beds were comfortable and spa bath are always a bit of a disappointment if you ask me. Anyway, they waste water. Eat beans and jump in the shower, the overall effect is similar.
And as for people smoking outside your bedroom, give me a break. That's like saying the people next door had sex all night. Lighten up, you're supposed to be on holiday.
We had a great time and would recommend it to anyone with a high sex drive, a propensity for hedonism and a sense of humour.
Gary and Nikki

Stayed January 2008
2 Thank GaryJ44
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glenelg
Stamford Grand Adelaide
Oaks Plaza Pier Apartment Hotel
Atlantic Tower Motor Inn
Ensenada Motor Inn and Suites
Adina Apartment Hotel Adelaide Treasury
Mayfair Hotel
Mayfair Hotel
#1 of 57 in Adelaide

Been to Seawall Apartments? Share your experiences!