“The Crows Nest Studio very minimal”
Review of Seawall Apartments

Seawall Apartments
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Glenelg
GreenLeadersSilver level
Sydney, Australia
“The Crows Nest Studio very minimal”
Reviewed August 7, 2012

I was initially planning to stay at the 5-star Stamford Plaza in Glenelg, which was only $10 p/n more but the super-reviews for the Seawall Apartmants made me change my plan and I booked the 1 bedroom studio. The Seawall Apartments website says: "Charming and stylish studio or 1 bedroom apartment with lounge, big LCD TV, 2 person hot spa to unwind, kitchen, Queen/King size comfortable bed. The perfect place relax...."

Well, the bed in the Crows Nest studio was indeed very comfortable, very clean and the bathroom was equipt with the latest amenities, except the spa, which was rather noisy and basic. I don't know how one defines a kitchen but I would rather call it a kitchenette. The fridge was small and instead of a stove there is a small hotplate.

The photos on Seawall booking website can be rather deceiving. When you select the Spa Suite or Super Spa Suite, you will see photos of large rooms with tables, chairs and even staircase going up... In fact the Crows Nest Studio is so tiny that you can hardly move. I was very much missing a table where I could have my evening meal and watch TV, but there was no dining space as such. I ended up sitting in a tub chair next to the bed with a plate of food in my lap, which in the end was relaxing. There was a very small sitting space at the top of the outside staircase leading to the apartment, but sitting there was very unpleasant, as it felt like sitting in a corridor.

I was also very dissapointed that there was no window in this appartment. The Seawall websites suggests that one can watch the sunset from the apartment??? Perhaps from the outsite staircase? I'm glad, I was using the apartment only in the evening, otherwise I would find it depressing.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank heinz49
RachaelOsborne, Manager at Seawall Apartments, responded to this review, August 12, 2012
Thanks for taking the time to share your comments on your recent stay heinz49. Thank you for noting the comfort and cleanlinesses of the apartment.
I am sorry you didn't love The Crow's Nest and do hope you will give us another opportunity to try one of our other 6 quite different Superior Spa Suites.
We are in a rather unusual position in that we have 22 unique apartments and this does present a challenge when we are presenting them on-line. The Crow's Nest is our cosiest apartment and you are quite right that it has a kitchenette rather than a full kitchen. I have amended the description on our website to reflect this.
Thanks again for your feedback,
Kind regards,
Rachael Osborne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
Darwin, Australia
Reviewed August 6, 2012

I didn't get to meet the ladies at reception but I talked a lot with them over the phone. We didnt arrive till late at night and they had the room waiting for us (the Chapel) the heater was on and the room was very clean and comforting expecially after driving 15 hours. I had gone down to have an operation and spent the last night night/day very sick from the pain killers. The people doing maintence outside were very lovely and conforting at the sound of my sickness and we were an hour late to checking out as I was unable to move and were very kind about it. I highly recommend the Seawall Apartments as everything about it is perfect!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
RachaelOsborne, Manager at Seawall Apartments, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Dear SummerDays60,
Thank you for your lovely review. Hearing "everything about it is perfect" is just wonderful and I have shared your review with all of our team.
I am glad we could be of comfort to you during your recent stay and thank you for mentioning our delightful maintenance crew -Sam and Alan, they are lovely blokes!
We do hope you are fully recovered and hope to see you next time you are back in Adelaide under better circumstances.
Take care,
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Our group of 12 netballers and their parents visiting from Canberra had a wonderful stay at Seawall Apartments, it was such a delightful complex with rooms with so much character and charm, the beach was so close and the shops just down the road. The rooms were neat and tidy and Rachael and the team were so friendly and helpful it really made our stay so special. We loved the BBQ space where we could all gather together to eat and watch the sun set over the ocean, a thrill for us Canberrians!!

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the complex had beautiful sea views!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Seawall A, Manager at Seawall Apartments, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Thanks for your review ACTPSSA, it was an absolute pleasure to meet you all and have your group stay with us. I know the girls had a great time with us despite the wintry weather! Best of luck with the rest of the season and we hope to see you all again next time you are in Adelaide - bring on summer!
All the best,
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed July 30, 2012

We recently stayed at Seawall Apartments whilst we had our floors sanded at home, it was fabulous to holiday in our own city! We stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment which was perfectly suited to our family of 4. The kitchen facilities were excellent, we were able to cook family meals for 3 nights and had a fabulous night out at Zucca restaurant and walked back to our apartment on our last night. How nice it was to stay walking distance to Glenelg's restaurants & right on the beach! Rachael & Jayne in the office were delightful and made our family feel so welcome, nothing was too much trouble. And a special mention to the housekeepers, I have never stayed in such spotlessly clean accommodation before, a job very well done. We looked at a couple of larger apartments during our stay and have booked a return visit with 2 other couples for a 'grown ups' weekend in the gorgeous Captains Quarters. Can't wait to return.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
RachaelOsborne, Manager at Seawall Apartments, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Thank you PandaBennettaway for your review of your "staycation" at Seawall.
I'm glad you and your family enjoyed our lovely location on the beach front at Glenelg.
We are lucky to have such a wide range of restaurants in the area, Zucca is one of my favourites! Love the Calamari and Prawn kataifi!!
Thank you for noting our spotlessly clean apartments, I will pass on your kind comments to our housekeeping staff.
Thanks again for taking the time to provide your feedback, we really do appreciate it,
Best wishes,
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed July 15, 2012

This place rocks!! Right from the moment you arrive here you're welcomed with beautiful friendly smiles and feel that wonderful seaside feeling. The staff here are amazing and make you feel at home and relaxed which is what you need when starting a holiday. The rooms have everything you need for a romantic time for 2 or a special break for the whole family. On top of this your just a few steps from the beach and only a short walk to Glenelgs centre. We will most definitely return here for our next holiday and will lock this in as an annual event!!! Five stars :)

• Stayed July 2012
, Owner at Seawall Apartments, responded to this review, July 15, 2012
Hi leejacqui, thanks so much for your beautiful review. It's always wonderful to hear when families have a gorgeous time at our property.
I'm glad that the hotel hit all the right notes for you.
It was a pleasure to meet you and your sweet children - we look forward to seeing you back soon, Kind regards,
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Reviewed July 11, 2012

We recently spent two nights at Seawall apartments in "The Landing" for our wedding anniversary. We found the owners and staff very helpful and friendly from the moment I first rant and inquired about booking until the moment we left. All the old seafaring memorabilia gives the place a great ambience and the apartment itself was beautiful - very clean and modern but still retaining the character and space of the original building.
There is a very comfortable king size bed and a reasonably sized spa bath for two. The kitchenette means you can bring your own supplies although there are plenty great places to eat a short walk along the esplanade. There is off street free parking out the back which is a major bonus at any property in Glenelg. This particular apartment is not seafront but does have a good view of the ocean from the side balcony with a table and chairs. We spent quite a bit of time there gazing out to sea undisturbed. I you want to sit seafront, there are tables and chairs on the patio where you can eat or relax.
We would definitely stay at Seawall apartments again as the apartments have all the comforts and mod-cons with out the sterile mass-produced vibe of the chain hotels and apartments.

Room Tip: Seafront/seaview rooms cost a little more but have a fabulous view
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Judi-oz
, Manager at Seawall Apartments, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
Thank you Judi-oz for your great review of your recent stay.
"Would definitely stay at Seawall Apartments again" is exactly what we love to hear!
I am so glad you liked our quirky exterior and appreciated the difference between us and many of the larger chain hotels. We take great pride in caring for our historical buildings and trying to maintain the character while making sure you have all the necessary comforts.
Thank you also for complimenting our fabulous staff - we are so lucky to have such a dedicated and happy team!
Hopefully we will see you for your next anniversary!
Kind regards,
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 10, 2012

I have always found when travelling interstate or overseas either with the family or on business or a combination of both, the hardest thing is choosing the best place to stay. Several years ago I was recommended Seawall Apartments, Glenelg as the place to stay if I’m ever in Adelaide. I’m not sure how many times I have been to Adelaide, or how many different rooms I have stayed in at Seawall but it is the best. Pity there isn’t a Seawall Apartment in every city; it would save a lot of decision time.
James

Room Tip: Ring Seawall and tell them what is important to you.They always listen and aim to please.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank James H
RachaelOsborne, Manager at Seawall Apartments, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
Thanks for your wonderful review James H. It's always a pleasure to have you and your lovely wife staying with us when you are in Adelaide.
We really do "aim to please" and we look forward to seeing you again very soon,
Best wishes,
Rachael Osborne
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glenelg
Oaks Plaza Pier Apartment Hotel
Stamford Grand Adelaide
Atlantic Tower Motor Inn
Ensenada Motor Inn and Suites
Majestic Roof Garden Hotel
Mayfair Hotel
Mayfair Hotel
#1 of 57 in Adelaide

Been to Seawall Apartments? Share your experiences!