“Needs some attention”

Oaks Liberty Towers
Australia
“Needs some attention”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2010

Having previously stayed here before, I was a little disapointed at how run down the rooms appeared with dirty stains, broken curtains, bad pillows.
Not very clean either.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank JimboAustralia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2010

Room booked was not available upon arrival, we were seperated from our family , useless lift system, parking was a nightmare , manager run away !!!!!!left the new staff to deal with us .pathetic

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank furrydog255100
Canberra, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2010

Booked online. Looked good on the Internet. Promise of good apartments, facilities and location. We arrived from the airport early (before 8am) and were told that we couldn't get into a room before 2pm. Fair enough, we parked the car and left bags in the boot and were told that we'd be called when the room was ready. Never heard a peep from them. Room was a good size but very dirty. Marks all over the Walls and carpets.

Given that the apartments are clearly self catering and marketed at people on holiday it would have been good to have had a slightly more generous level of provisions in the cupboard. Salt? Pepper? Dish washing liquid? No! I know its not the end of the world but i've stayed in cheaper places and it's not a big cost to provide.

Other gripes?

Every day a house elf comes through the apartment and moves things around. Puts the dishwasher on when it really doesn't need to go on. It's not an hotel so why do they do it? Today all our recyclables were taken off the draining board and taken away without any word. Normally i'd be pleased but this is South Australia and they had monetary value albeit a token value. Bit baffled by it all.

Soon after moving in we heard the building evacuation alarm go off. No announcement at all. As it happened we were leaving anyway and I politely enquired as to what was going on. Alarm testing! No signage, no audible broadcast announcement, no warning from the concierge. Not impressed.

For the price we paid would have expected better all round.

The best thing that can be said is that the location is good.

• Stayed October 2010
2 Thank RupertAlgyAndBill
Adelaide, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2010

We would not recommend anyone go to these apartments, the service we received was ridiculously terrible.

We had booked a one bedroom apartment with study & sofa bed. Upon checking in we were told by the receptionist that they had no record of our booking, and that this problem had already happened three times that day. So after a tedious wait for the receptionist to get our details again to check us in (no apology too by the way!) he lets us know that good thing we were a couple because their were no rooms with sofa beds left.

Once we had finally checked in, and gotten to our room it was apparent that there was no study in our apartment. I phoned reception to let them know that I cannot see any study area or desk, telling him I can only see a dining table and coffee table he said he would come up to our room to check because their should be a desk in a corner or against a wall. When he did come up, he pointed to the dining table and said that was the study - and when I said no, thats the dining table he replied that is the study, other apartments do not have dining tables. I found that very hard to believe, considering these are apartments intended for extended stays with kitchen and laundry facilities you would think they would have a dining table! I was clearly unhappy as I booked an apartment with a study for a reason, not to get a dining table in front of the TV so he said he would go find us another room for us to switch to. We waited to hear from him, not unpacking because we were expecting to move - and unbelievably enough, we never heard from him again. When we went down to reception, they had closed - this man had promised to find us another room, to meet the expectations of the one that we had booked (& paid extra for!) and failed to even us to let us know that he was not going to get another room for us.

Extremely unacceptable behaviour, we felt frustrated and deceived, and worse of all we had stayed in our room waiting to hear from him so we had wasted what was meant to be an enjoyable stay.

One last note - when we checked out and I mentioned this to a different receptionist she said that I would be contacted by the manager - once again, I have heard nothing.

The level of service is so poor at the Oaks Liberty Towers, they do not care about their customers. I have never met a receptionist so rude and deceptive, do yourself a favour and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank travellingVM_10
Launceston
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2010

This hotels bathrooms are appalling, the mould covering the tiles in the showers & around the sink plug holes is disgusting, the sink drain was also blocked, in desperate need of a good dose of shower power & draino! The beds are low grade & the sofa bed needs throwing out. The plus was the room was quite large & the view nice although there was a lot of street noise particularly during the night & you hear every plane take off from the airport. The "gym" consisted of 1 walking machine, 1 exercise bike. the pool looked nice but was extremely cold brrrrrrrrrrrr..Disappointed with this Oaks as we have stayed with the hotel chain before & they have been fantastic.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Brisbane
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2010

I was so disappointed in my stay, and usually I'm not really fussy with my accomodation, but this time I was almost angry. I have stayed in some pretty average accomodation in my time, which I can usually deal with, and I don't mind because it is what it is, and you know what you are getting beforehand. What frustrated me so much about this establishment was that it COULD be OK, if the place was managed properly, which it clearly is not. It SHOULD be an OK place to stay, but it does not live up to its promise or its star rating. If it continues to be mismanaged, it will be an absolute dump in a couple of years. It was just a case of many small disappointments and frustrations runining my stay, and the property does not deserve its 4+ star rating until they get the little things right. The lady behind the front desk was NOT friendly, I didn't feel welcome at all. My arrival had interrupted her dinner and she was going through the motions as quickly as possible. Not a great start. For a property as young as this one, it is amazing how run down it feels when you enter. There was no hairdryer. The bathroom was dirty with plenty of mould and poor shower water pressure. The telephone wasn't plugged in to the phone line, but was just sitting on the bedside table. Once I finally found the the cord and the wall socket and plugged it in, there was something loose in the handset making a rattling noise. There was no plug for the bathtub. And I searched EVERYWHERE. The two plugs I did find (kitchen and laundary) were a different size. It was obvious the tea and coffee supplies hadnt been filled up properly from the previous guests, there were only 2 coffee sachets. There was the usual broadband cable fixture with instruction booklet as you see in many hotels, saying 'simply plug the cable into your laptop to begin' which I did- only problem being the other end of the cord didn't go anywhere, it was simply coiled up and sitting on the desk. After some searching I finally found the wall socket for broadband and plugged the other end of the cable into the wall - only there is no furniture on that side of the room so I had to use my laptop on the floor. The steam room was out of order. Old, small CRT TV. On checkout, the receptionist was friendlier than the one on checkin, but knew I was parked underground, and decided not to mention that I would need swipecard access or assistance to get out of the park, leaving me stranded in the parking lot when exiting. Pre organised 11am checkout, but housekeeping started hassling at 10:15.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank Hellomunya
Sydney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2010

The Good, appartment, and by that, I mean, the shell of which 'could' be a really nice room, if they spent a couple of grand.

The Bad.
1.. Two bed appartment, decent size, but just one small, outrageously uncomfortable broken sofa bed to sit on. I.e Dispite having the room for say 1 x3 seater plus 1x 2 seater (easily) we could not relax whilst in the appartment.
2. That sofa bed in point 1? It was bent like a banana, it looked like it had been used in marathon swingers night. Physically busted, but they still made it up hoping we wouldn't notice that the bed looked more like a modern art installation than a bed.
3. Cooking? Yep, you can, so long as you can cook EVERYTHING in one single 8 inch frypan.
4. Dirty - Not filthy, just dirty. Tiles in the bathroom and walls in general are just grubby, not what you expect given the age of the place.
5. Loads of small stuff that just makes you think they don't care. I.e Bulbs broken in the bedrooms (both)
6. They have foxtel, but it's not even the most basic of basic packages, so it's totally useless.
7. No soul. No pictures, no nice warm touches. It's a table, chairs, a desk, old fat crt tv, one crappy broken couch with stark lights. Very hard to relax.
8. Poor servicing of the room. 1/3 of a roll of toilet paper for 3 day stay, Not one tablet for the dishwasher, combo washer/dryer. (not suitable for family)
9. We arrived to the pool, to find a huge yellow sign and what looked like construction tape cordoning off the whole area with 'Not in Service' sign, which looked permanent preventing us from using facilities. Find out on checkout that this was just temporary due to them adding pool chemicals. My suggestion that perhaps they could put a sign that said "out of action until x time due to pool maintainence' might have been better, was met with glazed eyes and indifferent service.
10. Indifferent lazy service.
11. Balcony has planter pots with no plants just bare dirt. If you're not going to have plants - just remove them.
12. Poorly Cleaned.

Some of these things are small for sure, but collectively, they just don't make for a happy relaxed stay, the room is just not set up for that. It's uncomfortable and the staff and totally indifferent. There are lots of good places in Glenelg, this is not one of them.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family